Guest Xan

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  572
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Leviathon says; "As always, it is the fundamentalist Christians who stir up damaging persecution."

Since when is sharing the true Gospel and exposing false teachings "damaging persecution"? For someone who professes to dislike labels, you sure just dished one out!

"maybe they don't teach true born again salvation, but that's no reason to call them a cult."

Okay then, what qualifications are necessary to meet "cult status" (in your opinion) if teaching a "different" Gospel isn't enough.

"Actually, they are pretty well accepted as a ligitimate religion by most people."

"Most people" also reject the "legitimate" Gospel of JESUS.

Yes, they are just people who have been deceived, and we should show them love, patience and compassion, but biting our lips concerning the many errors of their doctrine is not helping them at all.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'n not saying you shouldn't try to convince them that their doctrines are wrong, I never said that at all. What I am referring to is giving them a negative label that is designed to stir up fear, hatred, and persecution. Maybe you don't realize what happens to people who have been falsely labelled as a dangerous cult by fear mongering Christians who stir up state sponsered persecution. Houses broken into and kids taken away at gunpoint for an indefinite period of time, parents taken to jail, children intensively interrogated and told their parents don't love them and they might never see them again, all kinds of horrible false allegations against parents ranging from brainwashing to child abuse, lengthy and expensive court battles, being stigmatized by media reports giving all the gory false details and allegations, never knowing if you'll ever get to hold your children again etc etc etc. It's absolutely horrible and all because of some narrow minded people who don't like your particular brand of bible doctrine. It's sick, it's a sickness of fear in the Christian community. I'm just saying that Christians shouldn't be so quick to use the term because it gets people in a frenzy. Try to teach people where their doctrines are off yes, but don't demonize them, they are not demons, they are just people who are a little lost, just like you were before coming to Christ. Ultimately they have the right to their beliefs as long as they do not violate any laws. You can dismiss them as a demonic cult if you want to but I prefer to think they are just people like you or I who are searching for the truth.

Levi, I know you are not talking about the posts on this board when you judged Christians for using hateful labels and said Christians are demonizing the Mormons.  I know you are not talking about the posts on this board because everything that has been written about the mormons has not been about the people but about the doctrine.  It has been stated many times that we love mormons and want them to know the Biblical truths, which is not hateful at all, but that is love.  You must be speaking generally, and you are right, there is too much hate mongering going on concerning religious people who believe in false doctrines.

Hi Leviathon,

The individuals responsible for those actions (holding people at gunpoint, threats, persecution) are not Christians, they are terrorists. They may operate under the guise of Christianity, but they are certainly not acting as an extension of GOD's will.

Anyway, I was speaking of doctrine and not individuals. The Mormon doctrine is more than a simple interpretive difference, such as you might find between denominations. It is a complete deviate of doctrine, and promotes a different Gospel, to which we have been forewarned about in scripture.

In my previous post, I asked what criteria you use to define a cult of Christianity. Other than by example (you cited Charles Manson), do you have any personal criteria or guidelines by which you define a cult of Christianity?

Me too Angeles4U! I would ask where the Bible teaches "there are many ways" also; except you, and most of us know there is only one way:

John 14:6

6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

(KJV)

With the love of Christ,

irwin

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

its true jesus said "i am the way, the truth..ect."

jesus also said the humble (poor in pride ,unassuming) will go to heaven .

and the pure of heart will see God.

the peace makers will be called the sons of God.

"blesssed are those who are persecuted  for the sake of justice, thiers is the kingdom of god."

jesus also said "whoever therefore tries to weaken even one of these commandments (the ones i just quoted), and teaches men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven; but amy one who observes and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven"

jesus also says, "whoever becomes angry with his brother for no reason is giulty before the court.....whoever says to his brother Raca (which means, i spit on you), is guilty before the congegation....whoever says to his brother, you are effeminate (aramaic word for brutish,abnormal) is condemed to #### fire.

jesus also says,love your enemies...etc...so that you may become sons of God.

this is why i think humans (like Paul)

add to what jesus said, turning jesuses message into a fundammentalist dogma , instead  of giving jesus the athourity to say for him self how one goes to heaven, many people prefer to follow the opinions of man....

If you label the Mormon church a cult, you are labeling Mormons as cultists or followers of the cult doctrines. You say you love the Mormons but you don't really, because you hate what they stand for. You could be loving Mormons or showing them love by witnessing to them but it depends on how you go about it. If you are pushy and self righteous and holier than thou toward them, you may be doing it in an unloving spirit. Sure they have some different doctrine, but when you label them as a cult it's almost equivalent to saying Mormonism is of no value whatsoever and I don't think that's entirely true. I think every church has some false doctrine, but that doesn't mean there isn't something good in every church. I don't think they should be dismissed as worthless because I don't happen to agree with them on salvation or other things. I may think that their doctine is wrong on that but I do think the Mormon church has a role to play and shouldn't be made out to be the devil's church or something like that. They sing great don't they! :)

My criteria for a Christian cult would be a group which has as a doctine or ritual illegal practices that are dangerous to others. Very few groups labelled as cults fit that criteria, although some would undoubtedly claim they do.

(Edited by Leviathon at 10:13 pm on Feb. 19, 2002)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  154
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  04/12/1974

But if we go back to the point of the Thread. I think that the differences between Mormonism and "true" Christianity are few and far between. Perhaps, that's why it's so easy to convert one way or the other? I think Mormons are "Christian-like" in the way they treat there fellow man. They genuinely care about people, and I've never met a Mormon I didn't like. Is there any way a

'true' Christian can look past the differences? I don't know. But realizing they are just trying to find God as we all were(are) at one time, it a good start.

Prime#

"If you label the Mormon church a cult, you are labeling Mormons as cultists or followers of the cult doctrines."

Yes, that is correct.

"You say you love the Mormons but you don't really, because you hate what they stand for."

Are you saying that it is impossible to love someone, unless you agree with them? I don't agree (...but I love you anyway).

"You could be loving Mormons or showing them love by witnessing to them but it depends on how you go about it. If you are pushy and self righteous and holier than thou toward them, you may be doing it in an unloving spirit."

That is true of anyone we share the Gospel with, and not just Mormons.

"Sure they have some different doctrine, but when you label them as a cult it's almost equivalent to saying Mormonism is of no value whatsoever and I don't think that's entirely true."

I suppose that would depend upon one's working definition of a cult (which you have described as being a group engaged in dangerous or illegal activity). I don't believe that the LDS doctrine is completely without value, but I would say that it lacks "salvational value" (and to me, that is eternally dangerous!).

"I think every church has some false doctrine, but that doesn't mean there isn't something good in every church."

I agree, but as I said in my previous post(s), "some false doctrine" and a "different Gospel" are two very different issues.

"I don't think they should be dismissed as worthless because I don't happen to agree with them on salvation or other things."

I don't think they should be "dismissed" either. I think they should be shown the truth so that they can "dismiss" their false teachings. If we really do care about them, we wouldn't stand for them being lied to, and allow their faith to be shipwrecked through a False gospel, which is really no Gospel at all (what is a Gospel of salvation if it does not save?).

"I may think that their doctine is wrong on that but I do think the Mormon church has a role to play and shouldn't be made out to be the devil's church or something like that."

Are you suggesting that we just leave them alone, and not share the true Gospel with them, because it is somehow GOD's will that they believe as they do? If so I disagree. If not, then what are you suggesting we do (if anything)?

"They sing great don't they!"

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir? Yes! They do!

"My criteria for a Christian cult would be a group which has as a doctine or ritual illegal practices that are dangerous to others. Very few groups labelled as cults fit that criteria, although some would undoubtedly claim they do."

Thank you for your definition of a cult. Would you consider teaching a false Gospel as being "eternally dangerous" to others?

Cult or not, the important thing is to not sit idly by, while those we claim to love, perish.

Thanks Leviathon.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Matthew 7:17