• Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/06/1953

Was reading in Mark last night, noticed Jesus asked "have you not read"

Mark 12:10 Have you not read this scripture:

'The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.

11 This is from the Lord, and it is marvelous in our eyes'?"

Did a search, Jesus asked about reading in Matthew 12:3, 12:5, 19:4, 22:31, Mark 12;26, and Luke 6:3. In every case, He asked Pharisees, Sadducees, or the priests and law experts of the Temple. You would expect them to know how to read, to be educated.

We know Jesus talked with the priests and elders at age 12, but not long enough to get a basic education. By asking the question, it is implied Jesus could read.

Does anyone know if education was common for the general population? I always sort of assumed Jesus' knowledge of scripture was partly miraculous, partly training in oral tradition. But maybe most people could read - your thoughts?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Yes, He could read:

Luk 4:15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified by all.

Luk 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up. And as was his custom, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and he stood up to read.

Luk 4:17 And the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written,

Luk 4:18 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed,

Luk 4:19 to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."

Luk 4:20 And he rolled up the scroll and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him.

Luk 4:21 And he began to say to them, "Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing."

Also it's likely He studied formally. If you really want to get into this, google Hillel ;).

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

According to Torah it was required for all parents to teach the Torah to their children.

As for teaching reading, I do not know that history.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  196
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1

I honestly don't think Jesus was taught anything that he didn't already know. How could any human teach God anything new?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I honestly don't think Jesus was taught anything that he didn't already know. How could any human teach God anything new?

Luk 2:52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and man.

Don't forget that Jesus was still fully man. He had to learn just like other men.

Mat 24:36 "But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.