ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

I have a spoon and Im not afraid to use it !

Todays pot stirring question ....

Is it acceptable to help make an unbeliever feel more a part of, or feel more welcome in, a church by making him or her part of the worship team?

Why or why not. Scriptural support if you can please.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Seems like a no brainer to me. Non believers cannot worship Him, so why bother?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/25/1963

I may be wrong but I would have to say no for several reasons. One is how can someone direct, lead or be part of worshipping someone who they don't believe in. The second is that how can darkness and light mix: 2Co_6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? Welcoming them in so you can teach them about God is fine as we are to preach the gospel to all but they are unbelievers and as such don't believe in God.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Rom 8:8 Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Heb 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I would like to know why a non-believer would want to be a part of praise and worship?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I have a spoon and Im not afraid to use it !

Todays pot stirring question ....

Is it acceptable to help make an unbeliever feel more a part of, or feel more welcome in, a church by making him or her part of the worship team?

Why or why not. Scriptural support if you can please.

AyinJade, it don't make sense, have you seen where unbelievers were asked to be apart of a worship team? That's like the blind leading the blind or the blind teaching the ones that see, not to see.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

I have come across many real situations in which an unbeliever is asked to be a part of the worship team. Ive also had believers tell me it is ok when Ive questioned it. They reasoned that it kept the unbeliever in church and hopefully he/she would get saved. I disagree with that. It is not appropriate for a ministry person (as in worship team) to be unsaved nor should an unbeliever offer in that role a sacrifice of praise to a God they do not believe in at a church service.

It boggles the mind for sure.

I have come across many real situations in which an unbeliever is asked to be a part of the worship team. Ive also had believers tell me it is ok when Ive questioned it. They reasoned that it kept the unbeliever in church and hopefully he/she would get saved. I disagree with that. It is not appropriate for a ministry person (as in worship team) to be unsaved nor should an unbeliever offer in that role a sacrifice of praise to a God they do not believe in at a church service.

Like neb, I don't see why a lost person would want anything to do with worship -- unless they are asked because they can play an instrument and they get asked because of that. I'm not disagreeing, because I don't think someone should be in ministry unless they are a believer.

Guest LadyC

you're right, that's not the way to go about bringing someone to salvation. if a non-believer wants to be on the worship team, one can guarantee it is NOT to be singing to glorify God, at all.... it will be for the purpose of glorifying themselves. they want to be a part of a band and they figure that's an easy opening. they wan't to show themselves off. they want people to praise them and glorify them and in a sense, worship them.

it's not appropriate for a non believer to serve in a ministry of this sort.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Even when we have new members to our church, believers, we don't just put them on the worship team straight away. We ask them to attend church and become part of the family first. This way they are secure in knowing it is the right church for them, and we get to know them better.

We have the case tight now of two friends of mine who are attending our church. The are both experienced musicians, and he has his own sound desk at home and plays numerous instruments, she sings and plays bass. Both have amazing voices. We are struggling to find people to help with worship (its a talent thing, not a Will thing), but we have waited to see if they are comfortable in the church first.

Then there are those believers who drift from church to church because they can sing, play drums, etc. I have had many offers, let me come and play at church, when they don't even attend services.