• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,454
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/02/1969

I've known for some time that my uncle was an atheist but it has only now become apparent to me that he goes well beyond mere disbelief. I have noticed his posts lately have a more derogatory tone to them as though he were on a crusade against religion and those who believe in a God. I have mixed feelings on this and while I would wish to stand firm against his assaults on religion, I am tempted to un-friend him and be free of his intolerance. Believers are always being accused of intolerance because they choose to speak out against things like homosexuality, etc, but those same accusers seemingly feel free to berate and denigrate those who believe differently than they do.

The Bible teaches us to come out and be separate. Should I try to ignore him, interpret his statements as challenges, or wash my hands of him and move on?

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,063
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1

I've known for some time that my uncle was an atheist but it has only now become apparent to me that he goes well beyond mere disbelief. I have noticed his posts lately have a more derogatory tone to them as though he were on a crusade against religion and those who believe in a God. I have mixed feelings on this and while I would wish to stand firm against his assaults on religion, I am tempted to un-friend him and be free of his intolerance. Believers are always being accused of intolerance because they choose to speak out against things like homosexuality, etc, but those same accusers seemingly feel free to berate and denigrate those who believe differently than they do.

The Bible teaches us to come out and be separate. Should I try to ignore him, interpret his statements as challenges, or wash my hands of him and move on?

You should do what you think best.

Consider that becoming "free of his intolerance" is in reality, a form of intolerance.

People feel moved to act differently. As some christians are moved to witness their beliefs to non-believers, antitheists may be moved likewise to witness their unbelief to believers. I remember someone wise saying:

Do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself.

Regards,

UF

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

If you feel you are not up to a constant barrage but would like to engage him on a topic just lay down the rules. You could say lets take this one step at a time and if he is not willing then perhaps you could tell him that you don't appreciate his attacks and if they continue you will have to defriend him, reluctantly of course. Most people who fume and fight when God is brought up because they are afraid of His light and would rather live in the darkness. These kinda of people lash out when the truth is presented even if they adamantly believe in their heart of hearts they are right but theres still that tug and feeling of something that is fighting against hearing the truth.

shalom,

Mizz

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  10/18/1965

In consideration of 'coming out and being separate', I think it's useful to consider the example of Jesus Christ.

Though "He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth" (1 Peter 2:22), did He remove Himself from the presence of unbelievers?

Did He not spend tme with the worst elements of His society, so much so that the 'good' people asked, "Why does he eat with tax collectors and ‘sinners’?" (Mark 2:16)

Is Christ's command to "Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you." (2 Cor 6:17) referring to our physical presence, or to our words, thoughts, deeds and heart?

We are to be strangers in the World, perhaps similar to how the Jews lived in the diaspora. How is this existance separate, and how is it part of the World?

Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. (1 Peter 2:11-12)

Are we not also to be ambassabors for Christ? While an ambassador lives separate, obeying the laws of his native land, does he not need to go and speak to the nation around him... because that is his purpose?

We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. (2 Cor 5:20)

I know you're in a tough situation, made doubly tough by the fact that its family. Might I remind you though that this is a great privilege you have been given.

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. (Mt 5:11-12)

For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him (Philippians 1:29)

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Give him your unconditional love. Accept him as he is.

John 4:18

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  2,063
  • Content Per Day:  0.29

I was an antitheis myself. In my case, it took few minutes of presenting me Jesus to became christian. But this is my case, not all are the same. I have been preaching since 1972, in a person to person metoth. There is people that love the sin: women, drink, law-breaking... That kind of person have a deep bad feeling against christians. They keep insulting us with names as "saint" or "christians". Because for them those are insults.

Anyhow; Jesus told us not to loose time preaching where we are not welcome; and to keep moving to the next place to preach the Gospel.

Most anti-theists I know do not love law-breaking. In fact, from my review of the statistics, the proportion of non-believers of any god are severely under-represented in the US prison population when compared to the general population.

Yes, they do love their women, men, and alcohol. But then, so do most people, christians included.

I think it is a mistake to consider that someone calling you a "christian" is an insult. You call yourselves christian to each other, and this is not equivalent to the N word.

Yes, the bible tells you to shake the dust from your feet, and to not waste your pearls on swine. You should definitely move on.

Regards,

UF

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

Are you one of those people that believe because you id yourself as a Christian, it is your job to fix members of your family?

Can you cause his change to happen? I'm assuming that you have spoken the word of God to him, now it is the Holy Spirit that will water the seed, cause it to grow and seek out light or to let it dry up and...we know not. The whole world seem to be turning more derogatory today, people across the nations are choosing to do some really weird stuff.

In the end, it will be only you who has to answer before Almighty God for your actions or lack of actions. If your Uncle chooses not to follow, Christ you will not be answering for Him.

Luk 12:51 Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division.

Luk 12:52 From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three.

Luk 12:53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law."

My advice is to back off, let Him come to you, and with respect let him live his life the way he chooses, but, keep praying from him, until God tells you to stop.

I know letting go of a family member hurts you deep inside, but, you really are not letting him go, you are turning his life over to God, your uncle just will not know it.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Great topic, from what I've seen, not all atheists are necessairly anti theists, but many of today's "new atheists" are certainly anti theists,and the latest trends I see in atheism on many of the apologetics web forums appear to be of the anti theist type.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  7

That's easy: whichever solution you pick, you are sure to find biblical support for it.

Do you want to ignore everybody who challenges your faith? Apostle Paul left when he discovered opposition to his preaching:

Acts 17:32-33

32 Now when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some began to sneer, but others said, "We shall hear you again concerning this."

33 So Paul went out of their midst.

Do you want to interpret his statement as challenges? Apostle Paul did NOT leave when encountering opposition, but instigated ceaseless debate with those most likely to disagree with his gospel:

Acts 19:8-10

8 And he entered the synagogue and continued speaking out boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading them about the kingdom of God.

9 But when some were becoming hardened and disobedient, speaking evil of the Way before the people, he withdrew from them and took away the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus.

10 This took place for two years, so that all who lived in Asia heard the word of the Lord, both Jews and Greeks.

Do you wish to wash you hands of him and move on? That is exactly what Jesus and Paul said to do in case you meet with those who refuse to convert:

Mark 6:11

11 "Any place that does not receive you or listen to you, as you go out from there, shake the dust off the soles of your feet for a testimony against them."

Titus 3:9-11

9 But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and strife and disputes about the Law, for they are unprofitable and worthless.

10 Reject a factious man after a first and second warning,

11 knowing that such a man is perverted and is sinning, being self-condemned.

If I were a Christian, I'd argue as follows: God is not only capable of stirring up a person's spirit to motivate them to do what he wants, but He actually does this:

Ezra 1:1

1 Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, in order to fulfill the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he sent a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and also put it in writing,

Paul agreed with certain pagan poets that it is within God, that we live, and move, and have our being:

Acts 17:28

28 for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, 'For we also are His children.'

Therefore, since our motives are constantly stemming from God, and God is able to stir us up to do something specific, unless God motivates you to defend the faith or evangelize a particular person, your choice to live and let live is God's issue, not yours. If God wants you to take a particular stance toward your uncle, according to your own beliefs, God will surely make this known to you.

• 4 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  9

I was once a not-theist. I was never an anti-theist.

At the time, I called myself an agnostic.

I didn't know God existed, couldn't find any evidence,

and wasn't sure any such evidence was possible.

But I couldn't accept, as some atheists argue,

that His non-existence should be the default position.

I simply didn't know.