PetriFB

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

I've just gone through all the posts on this thread , ( Just shows how much time I have on my hands).

Personally I would not have myself tattooed as I hate needles of any kind.

Perhaps the words of Margo DeMello, Bodies of Inscription: A Cultural History of the Modern Tattoo,brings some sense into the topic.

“For westerners, the tattoo has always been a metaphor of difference”.

In away, a tattoo is a statement just as a T shirt with a written slogan is. But does this make the person wearing it less a Christian than others?

I think we need to look at a person from the inside and not judge them from the outside.

Some years ago if someone had judged me from my appearance I would not be here today.

When we judge from the outside appearance it is my opinion that we can not only often be wrong but also miss an opportunity

in life to meet someone that is worthy of meeting.

Tattoo’s in my humble opinion don’t make the person it’s what is tattooed on their heart that is important.

ncn

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

On a more practical level, I would advise anyone getting tattoos to use discretion if they are not independently wealthy and are planning on working in a corporate environment as they normally opt for a more conservative look, and in the corporate world, appearance is everything. So keep that in mind before you have a spider's web tattooed around your neck or something. Otherwise, you may find your employment future connected to a mop and bucket.

Great point! :thumbsup: I've got a couple of others, too.

1. It costs a whole lot more to get a tattoo removed than it costs to get one. Our tastes, beliefs, and so forth tend to change as we get older -- and that independently wealthy thing could come in handy.

2. What's that tattoo going to look like in, say, 20 years when the colors fade and things start to sag a bit with the weight of years? :whistling:

:laugh: I can't seem to keep myself from thinking about this exact same thing every time I see someone who's gone the whole "tattoo and pierce EVERYTHING" route. Especially when they opt for those weird things in their ears that make giant holes. What, exactly, do you suppose THOSE things are going to look like when they hit, say, 70? :21:

Piercings and tattoos are, IMHO, a matter of personal choice. But every single time I see someone who has multiple piercings in their face, I can't help thinking about a much repeated joke about them looking like they fell face first into a tackle box. :24:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

I dont agree with those who say that the bible forbids tattoos to us today based on the scripture in the old testament. But given that the bible tells us to dress modestly, could tattoos or lots of piercings be in violation of that scripture?

1 Tim 2

9 In the same way also, I desire that women adorn themselves in decent clothing, with modesty and sensibleness, not adorned with braiding, or gold, or pearls, or costly clothing,

10 but with good works, which becomes women professing godliness.

Guest shiloh357

I know a lot of older people who got tattoos when they were younger who wish now that they had never gotten them. The Bible doesn't forbid them per se, but it is something you need to put a lot of thought into. Tatto removal is very, very painful and can even leave a scar that is as bad as teh tattoo that was there before. Use wisdom and discretion.

Jesus has a tattoo!?!

Revelation 19:16

And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

;)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

Seriously, some of the most powerful testimonies I have ever heard came from people who'd been what us "good" Christians would consider the very dregs of society, yet had been redeemed by the Lord and now serve Him faithfully.

Very good point. And those "dregs of society"....they're the people that Jesus would be hanging around with.

I've also heard it argued that tattoos are bad because they are somehow indicating that a person is not satisfied with the way God made them, that they are somehow trying to improve upon God's creation. I find this an odd notion. Honestly (and with sincere curiosity) do those of you who believe that apply the same thinking to every single thing that in any way alters our bodies. For example, are you equally offended by women who get their ear lobes pierced? Or, do you object to coloring or perming, or for that matter, even cutting one's hair - since this does, indeed, alter the natural state in which God created us. How about makeup for women? Or what about cosmetic surgery, even in the case of those who have been born with deformities that are surgically reparable?

Another very good point and very well made. I don't believe people getting tattoos is about trying to "improve" on God's creation and I, too, find it an odd notion!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Jesus has a tattoo!?!

Revelation 19:16

And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

;)

rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

At one time, they were associated with religious rites of certain groups and / or rebellion. What changed? Probably the best argument against them is the health risks people are taking in getting them. A lot of people over the years have not reported side affects and so tattoo ink is not regulated as it should be.

manufactures and tattoo shops due to trade secrets; aren’t required to disclose fully all ingredients in each color. Contrary to popular opinion, pigments usually are not vegetable dyes. Today's pigments are mostly metal salts. Some pigments are plastic. And before anyone can holler vegetable dye is safe, take into account that other ingredients are necessary to keep them evenly mixed and ease of application. Those other ingredients are harmful to the body, and they are being injected into the skin as well.

A lot of stuff that goes into the those “inks”, are not even approved for make up or topicals on the skin or hair. Popular thought is that pigments and all only make it to the skin, but many of the ingredients find their way to inner organs. Even though the stuff is not injected deep, its what the body does in response in an attempt to remove foreign objects and repair skin injury that allows the spread of ingredients elsewhere in the body.