• Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/18/1965

Are Roman Catholics Christians?

http://carm.org/are-roman-catholics-christian

I think asking "are Roman Catholics Christians" is a misleading question though.

I think individual Roman catholics could certainly be Christians. A better wording might be, "Can people who believe and follow all the teachings (dogma and doctrine) of the Roman Catholic Church be Christians?"

What are your thoughts on this?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I can forgive someone who has sinned against me, but the final judgment about full forgiveness is Gods alone. Jesus stated that if we forgive someone, so will He. That does not mean that we are God, but that the love that is required to forgive someone who has done us wrong is from God and is part of His overall plan. There is a big difference between forgiving someone who has done something against you and erasing it from the books.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I think asking "are Roman Catholics Christians" is a misleading question though.

I think individual Roman catholics could certainly be Christians. A better wording might be, "Can people who believe and follow all the teachings (dogma and doctrine) of the Roman Catholic Church be Christians?"

My thoughts are that blanket statements are never true.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1

I do believe you are thinking you are replying to someone else while you quote me. I have never posted a link to CARM (in this thread) and I have been answering your questions. If I have missed any, please point them out.

My apologies. I got you mixed up with Dragoon.

Nope. You're still confused.

I've never posted a link to CARM either.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,237
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I can forgive someone who has sinned against me, but the final judgment about full forgiveness is Gods alone. Jesus stated that if we forgive someone, so will He. That does not mean that we are God, but that the love that is required to forgive someone who has done us wrong is from God and is part of His overall plan. There is a big difference between forgiving someone who has done something against you and erasing it from the books.

Jesus gave the apostles his authority to forgive sins.

1 Tim 2:1-7

2 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time, 7 for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle — I am speaking the truth in Christ and not lying — a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

NKJV

we are to forgive all trespasses against us because the Lord forgave all ours... it is the Lord in us their judge not us!

Matt 7:2-3

2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.

NKJV

There lies only one conclusion to this of judgment... and the RCC reject this and elevate men between man and Christ...

1 Tim 2:5

5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus

NKJV

Heb 9:11-15

11 But Christ came as High Priest of the good things to come, with the greater and more perfect tabernacle not made with hands, that is, not of this creation. 12 Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption. 13 For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh, 14 how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? 15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

NKJV

Love Steven

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

All Christianity came from the Catholic Church,

"Christianity" came out of Judaism.

But Protestantism is not a Church.

It depends on your view of what the Church is in particular. There are many non-Catholic Churches that are apostate so yeah if you include them we have some real problems.

The core Truth of Christ has indeed been brought to us by the Apostles and is taught in truth in many Churches. Minor contradictions don't take away from that fact.

Jesus did build a Church. How do you determine if your Church is being led in the fullness of Truth?

Because it isn't a RCC and our pastor teaches from GOD'S Word.

All Christianity came from the Catholic Church, but not all Christians are in full communion with the Catholic Church. Individuals professing to be Christian, Catholic or otherwise, may or may not have a relationship with Christ.

However, the sacraments of the Church convey graces to Catholics that are unavailable outside of the Church.

No. All Christianity came from Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

Some branches of it developed through the church in Rome, which became the Roman Catholic Church.

You are giving glory to men which rightfully belongs to God.

That REALLY angers me.

All Christianity came from the Catholic Church, but not all Christians are in full communion with the Catholic Church. Individuals professing to be Christian, Catholic or otherwise, may or may not have a relationship with Christ.

However, the sacraments of the Church convey graces to Catholics that are unavailable outside of the Church.

No. All Christianity came from Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

Some branches of it developed through the church in Rome, which became the Roman Catholic Church.

You are giving glory to men which rightfully belongs to God.

That REALLY angers me.

Your anger is misplaced. Jesus gave his authority to his Church. I'm not sure why this would anger you.

Which again shows your lack of understanding.

Even Jesus of Nazareth, though He was God, did not seek to take God's glory... and He more than anyone deserves it.

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:

Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing,

taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

And being found in appearance as a man,

he humbled himself

and became obedient to death—

even death on a cross!

(Phil 2:5-8)

My anger is not misplaced.

Your worship of men is.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

http://carm.org/are-...olics-christian

I certainly believe that individual Catholics can be saved - it would be in spite of their church - not because of it.

"Can people who believe and follow all the teachings (dogma and doctrine) of the Roman Catholic Church be Christians?"

My answer would be no. CARM answers this in detail, heavily documented with God's Word.