IGNORED

How important is theology for evangelists?

~candice~

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Lets try and define the theology we are talking about that is needed to be an effective Evangelist.

I believe that a sound knowledge of scripture is important. If you don't have that you probably would not be wanting to be an evangelist in the first place, it is probably what set you on your path. You know scripture, and you know and Love Jesus and you want to pass it on.

Is a sound knowledge of scripture Theology? Here I am not sure. I think theology goes deeper than that, and if it does, is it needed to be an evangelist? I don't think so, but it can do no harm to have a greater understanding of the Word?

When we evangalise we preach the Gospel, and there will be questions about Adam and Eve, the flood, law, etc, stemming from that (if my experience is anything to go by), and we need to be able to answer and then direct the person back to Jesus.

So scriptural knowledge is important, and a good grasp of certain theological issues is probably important as well.

But a burning passion for Jesus, and to reach out to the lost, is the foundation.

When we evangalise we preach the Gospel, and there will be questions about Adam and Eve, the flood, law, etc, stemming from that (if my experience is anything to go by), and we need to be able to answer and then direct the person back to Jesus.

no....we don't.

Those are distractions from people who are avoiding the sin question. No need whatsoever to even go there with them.

I was once at a restaurant with 2 friends who started a conversation with our waiter, who was obviously a satanist with the jewelry he wore. They started of well but then he started challenging them on issues like creation, homosexuality, etc., etc., ad naseum. It was going nowhere quickly and getting tense as they argued minutia that no one can prove to an unbeliever anyway.

I interrupted them to say to this kid, "None of that matters....who do you say Jesus is?" He would ask me about some other distraction and I would ignore it, repeating, "None of that matters if you don't know the only one who can save you from sin"

At that sentence, he begged off and left. My friends both started criticing me for interrupting their grand explanations of theology. They were certain they had lost an opportunity, while I was certain this kid heard what he needed to know. About 10 minutes later the kid came back. He looked me in the eye and said, "I know you're right. I need to give my life to Jesus....where do you guys go to church?"

My friends were dumbfounded, but this kid showed up next week.

The things of the Spirit are spiritually discerned. If the issue is salvation and you're speaking to an unbeliever, avoid talking to their brain at all costs.

no....we don't.

Those are distractions from people who are avoiding the sin question. No need whatsoever to even go there with them.

I was once at a restaurant with 2 friends who started a conversation with our waiter, who was obviously a satanist with the jewelry he wore. They started of well but then he started challenging them on issues like creation, homosexuality, etc., etc., ad naseum. It was going nowhere quickly and getting tense as they argued minutia that no one can prove to an unbeliever anyway.

I interrupted them to say to this kid, "None of that matters....who do you say Jesus is?" He would ask me about some other distraction and I would ignore it, repeating, "None of that matters if you don't know the only one who can save you from sin"

At that sentence, he begged off and left. My friends both started criticing me for interrupting their grand explanations of theology. About 10 minutes later the kid came back. He looked me in the eye and said, "I know you're right. I need to give my life to Jesus....where do you guys go to church?"

My friends were dumbfounded, but this kid showed up next week.

The things of the Spirit are spiritually discerned. If the issue is salvation and you're speaking to an unbeliever, avoid talking to their brain at all costs.

While I am not disagreeing with what you say, it's not always that simple. Have you ever run an alpha course? There are times when some questions asked, not as a distraction, but out of genuine interest, need to be answered. And we either need to answer, or say I don't know everything, I will get back to you, but let's keep talking about Jesus until then Ok?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

The witnessing I enjoy most is the random conversations struck up with strangers. I really like studying my bible but when I get into debates with other Christians I sometimes realise that I have gaps in my understanding that need filling and I wonder whether I need to get this sorted. But when I'm witnessing, it never seems to lead to debate noidea.gif. The stuff we talk about is Jesus, sin, death, repentence, belief, the Holy Spirit.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Jesus did have a Theology.

Peace,

Dave

and yet He told stories....

Yes, and they were stories about heaven and hell, the Flood, and Judgment.:wub:

Guest shiloh357
Theology is great for theologians.
Everyone is a theologian. Every time you are talking about God, you are talking theology.

It's great for Sunday school. It's great for discussion among christians. It's practically useless for reaching the lost.
That is not true. Missionaries who translate the Bible into other languages not only need to know the language they are translating into, but they have to be able to translate the theology of Scripture correctly. It's not just a matter of using the correct word, but using the correct word that also accurately communicates the theology of Scripture, which requires an advanced knowledge of theology. There are all kinds of real life scenarios I could discuss that missionaries and evangelists encounter that require a better than average level of proficiency where theological knowledge is concerned.

The greatest evangelist in history used theology to reach the lost and wrote nearly half of the the NT. Paul's education gave him avenues and opportunties to reach the lost that the other apostles didn't have. He was one of the most educated men of his day, and was on a path to being the greatest Torah scholar of His day. God chose THAT man to be His apostle to the Jews and Gentiles and to write pen more Scripture than any other single apostle. God chose to communicate through Paul, in addition to the other apostles.

The power of the Holy Spirit is all that works. One may need basic theology to explain sin and atonement, but a theological discussion appeals to the intellect and is not a good strategy when appealing to the heart.
Well, too bad you weren't there to explain that to Paul. He would not have needed to waste His time debating Torah and Talmud with the Jews and debating philosophy with the Gentiles. If you had been there you could have explained to him how dry and useless his Talmudic knowledge was and why it was so pointless for him to go into the synagogues and debate the unbelievers there or how a visit to Mars Hill for a debate with philosophers would have been the wrong route to take.

A history lesson (personal testimony or stories of faith) works much better. This is what the people in the bible did and it worked well until theologians came along in the later centuries and put people to sleep.
LOL, Yeah right... The same theologians whose work ended up providing you with an accurate and readable tranlsation of Scripture.

You need to separate theology from imperfect and tlawed human theologians. It's similar in thinking to those who hate guns and oppose gun ownership because some nut goes out and shoots up a supermarket or something. We have to be able to separate between the user and the object being used and put the fault where it really belongs.

There are good and bad theoloians/scholars. Not every Bible shoclar or theologian is a Christian. History is replete with Bible scholars who study the Bible, but don't believe a word of it. There are some even Christian scholars who hold to views I don't agree with and which I feel are detrimental to the body of Christ. That is no reason to kick theology to the curb.

The question of the OP is not "Is theology all you need to reach the lost?" The question from the OP pertains to how important it is. The truth is, it is very important. That is not to say the one needs a theology degree or that theology is the sliver bullet that will win the day. But in the end, your theology, how you understand God is of primary importance to how you relate Him to the rest of the world. I have seen what happens when people who do not have the basic skill sets needed for sharing the gospel in an intelligent and competent manner try to go out and witness. Images of the Hindenberg come to mind. It is tragic. We need people who have a competent grasp on Scripture AND a passion for reaching the lost.

yod, on 13 September 2011 - 08:01 PM, said:

Matthitjah, on 13 September 2011 - 07:29 PM, said:

Jesus did have a Theology.

Peace,

Dave

and yet He told stories....

Yes, but it was a little more involved than that. Those "stories" have roots in common rabbinical patterns that are completly lost on the modern reader. Parables are not like stories we tell children before bed. There is a ton of theology in those stories that fles right over the head of the modern reader. More is being said that what appears on the surface.

Guest shiloh357
shiloh357, on 13 September 2011 - 08:17 PM, said:

I don't know where this anti-itellectualism comes from,

It isn't being anti-intellectual, actually.

It's about what takes priority.

The argument I am making here is not that the theology is all you need or that the Holy Spirit should take a back seat. My position is that both are needed and are important in reaching the lost. As I have said to Yod, I have seen what happens when people who don't know the Scriptures who have no basic competency when it comes to biblical matters try to witness. It often bears no fruit and the make fools of themselves and us.

1 Cor. 2

1 And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, 4 and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God. 6 Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature ; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away ; 7 but we speak God's wisdom in a mystery,

Theology is not "superiority" of speech." Paul was compariing His message with the high mindedness of the worldly philosophy of his day. Paul was the most educated man of his day and he took full advantage of that education as can be seen in the book of Acts. He was one of the most educated men in Israel and that education opened up venues for him that would not be open to the average individual.

Part of it has to do with your audience, too. Theology sure isn't swaying any atheists we have coming through. And it's not theology that is winning Muslims over to Jesus.
I don't think anyone here is arguing that theology is the sliver bullet that will win the day. The point is that we need to be able (depending on the situation) to field difficult questions that people have.

But people like Kirk Cameron use the basic theology of The 10 Commandments to reach the lost, and some are saved that way.
Yes, but those presentations are edited. They don't show the entire conversations. It would be incorrect to assume that off camera Kirk and Co. do not have to field some very difficult questions and get into some heavy theological discussions. And even in dealing with the 10 commandments, Kirk and Co. have to present them in a theologically accurate manner. They may have some success but theology always plays a role.

A theological discussion, though, is suited for people who have an open heart to what the Scriptures say. I do not believe that is the average audience, though.
How do you define the "average audience?"

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

I think having a good base on theology is a good thing but not necessary. Again to do the work of evangelist is to simply preach Christ Crucified, and use your testimony. Remember what you need to know depends on your audience. Jesus used theology with theologians, but the average day by day sinners, he usually simply called sinners to repentance. Even in John 3 he did not use typical theology that Nicodemus was used to, he preached belief in Him, and that he came to save.

In my personal experience, I have seen theology be a block to the Gospel. I still struggle on when to use theology and when to use the simple message of the Cross. Yes having a knowledge of theology, and techniques on witnessing is a good thing, I am not against having the tools. But it is not needed to reach the lost. Here is a good example.

You see if you watch the video, the man only told people "Are you saved, and if you died tonight are going to heaven?" No use of theology. He simply obeyed the Lord and let him do the work.

You see what is needed is to be willing to preach. Remember this, nothing we say or do, really brings the harvest. We plant and water, but God brings the increase.

Now as you grow in Christ and learn apologetic's, you have to let the Holy spirit guide you. When witnessing to someone that is a Muslim, for instance you need to know how to speak with them. I would say that this falls under the category of apologetic's, not really that of theology.

Remember also that prayer is powerful, and I find that praying before you, and as you, are witnessing helps. Never forget your most powerful witnessing tool is your Testimony.

I was out with a Youth With A Mission group in Denver. We were doing something we called a Cross walk. A prayer walk with while carrying a cross. We stopped outside of a bar and started praying for all those inside. A man came out saw the cross and came over, and started to discuss Christianity. A few broke off the main group and went to speak with him, while the rest stood around the cross praying for them. While we were praying I felt the Lord tell me to pray about them giving there testimony. So I did, and as I finished praying that very prayer the guy stood up and walked off.

I was puzzled. but then the group came back.

They told me he sat down and started to debate Christianity. He was ready, he had all the usual things to say against it, rather shaking up a few of the kids and he had them a bit on the ropes as to what to reply. Right about then I started praying about the testimony, one of the youth felt led to share his testimony, and started, with "Well let me tell you what God has done in my life" At that the man stood up, said thanks but he really had to be going and left. You see, he knew he could argue religion, but no one can argue against your personal testimony.

Yes at that time he did not come to Christ. How ever seeds were planted, and young people with not as much experience answering the tough theological questions learned that there is power in their testimony.

On that note, I think maybe we should start giving our testimony to those in the outer court. Arguing theology is not working.

Does God enable us to accept saving faith? Or is it entirely a human choice with God having nothing to do with it?

Do those who hear the Gospel accept on their own volition or does God place the faith in their heart?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/18/1965

Does God enable us to accept saving faith? Or is it entirely a human choice with God having nothing to do with it?

Do those who hear the Gospel accept on their own volition or does God place the faith in their heart?

God.

God.

The answer is always God.