IGNORED

How important is theology for evangelists?

~candice~

Guest shiloh357

I think knowledge of God and His Word is highly beneficial though. The work of an evangelist isn't merely to elicit a statement for Christ, but also to teach them to obey everything that Christ has commanded us.

Actually that is the job of a teacher or pastor.

Theology is the study of God, is it not? Isn't studying an intellectual pursuit?

One can witness about the things that God has done in their life without getting into how it works. In other words, I don't see a testimony as being "theology" but rather as being an eye-witness account or explanation of a personal relationship.

All dialogue about God is theology. The lexical definition of "theology" is the study of God, but theology is about more than just head knowledge. It also speaks to how we relate to God and how we apply that knowledge in everyday life. The roles of Pastor, evangelist and teacher can often overlap. Billy Graham's ministry was primarily evangelistic yet in his books and literature his ministry took on a teaching dimension as well. And you have other Bible teachers who evangelistic componments to their ministires. Pastors fill the roles of both evangelists and teachers at times, as well.

This goes back to how people perceive "theology." It is seen as merely an intellectual pursuit. IT involves intellect, but it is by no means limited to that. In fact there is not ONE spiritual pursuit in Scripture that does not involve intellect. Even worship is as much intellectual as it is spiritual.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I think knowledge of God and His Word is highly beneficial though. The work of an evangelist isn't merely to elicit a statement for Christ, but also to teach them to obey everything that Christ has commanded us.

Theology is the study of God, is it not? Isn't studying an intellectual pursuit?

One can witness about the things that God has done in their life without getting into how it works. In other words, I don't see a testimony as being "theology" but rather as being an eye-witness account or explanation of a personal relationship.

No it is not always an intellectual pursuit. If I buy a gun for instance, I study that the pointy bit is where the bullets come out, and not to point it at anyone. I study how the safety works, how to load it, and how to strip and clean it, and the law that allows me to wave it about, or not. I don't have to study the post psychological and legal ramifications of using it, and delve into all the studies thereof.

As it is with an evangelist. He/she needs to know something about what he/she is talking about, and that is basic theology.

He/she does not have to have a huge and detailed knowledge of eschatology, predestination or prophecy to preach the Gospel.

So I guess the degree of theological knowledge is the sticking point in this thread...

As far as I am concerned.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

That's one of the reasons I'm a lousy evangelist - I'm a teacher, and my presentation is a teaching more than a witnessing ... and I totally lose the person!

So I guess the degree of theological knowledge is the sticking point in this thread...

:thumbsup:

Or Perhaps The Sticking Point Is LOVE

A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. Proverbs 17:17

And I Doubt We Can Limit The Power Of God

I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,

With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

(Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: Ephesians 4:1-13

The Power He Seems To Give To Whom, When And Where He Pleases

Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts. Zechariah 4:6

For His Glory Alone

Amen

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,377
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

A beautiful passage.

... though all of scripture is beautiful.

:amen:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Shiloh357 wrote:

How is humility the opposite of having skill at handling the Word of God??? How is it prideful to know the Bible and be able to handle it???

Prideful? Well ok let me say this, most 'theologians' I know are prideful, they exhibit pride when they say things like, your mistakes, its your problem, your this or your that. To me 'theologians' are those who not just have sat in schools to learn all the little ways of showing others the wrong way of 'exegisis' but those arm chair ones who act as if they know more than the rest, and of course that is a broad over view to be sure. I truly dislike the word 'theology', it has been thrown around by way too many as some kind of litmus test of ones understandings of all things God and if ones doesn't match up with the ones their teachers and books showed them then everyone is wrong but them. I have been on forum boards a long time and for all of those years theres at least one or two 'trained' or in training theologians who take everyone to task unless it adds up to their theological stance. I know a good many arm chair theologians who are not that way also, and very very few that came out of seminaries and other schools that will have a dialogue with someone and not say, but your wrong, thats sloppy, thats not what it says, those remarks are prideful and arrogant. So frankly its theologians themselves that have given the title a bad rep. I study the bible everyday, I search His word and strive to listen to the Spirit, yes I go to authors of books, some commentaries and such things but I find the best way to learn is to dialogue with others, midrashing together is such a great joy and more than often answers come out that you never thought of before.

I never said study is not necessary and did say that if one is going to debate and argue the finer points of the religion of christianity and all thats entailed in the last 1500 or so years, all the hundreds of different theological stances out there, one needs to be versed in them. How often witnessing to someone truly seeking do you need to pull out calvin, or any of the rest?

But that is theology too. Part of your mistake is in how you define "theology." Whether you understand this or not, you went looking for theology. Theology is not ivory towers and dusty old books. Theology is about understanding God. Theology is about a study and dialogue about who God is how He operates. Even when we are hurting and needing spiritual help, THAT is theology. You cannot escape.

I explained how I see it above. I cannot escape others insistance that their theology is better than others either, doesn't make it correct.

the·ol·o·gy

noun /THēˈäləjē/ 

theologies, plural

1.The study of the nature of God and religious belief

2.Religious beliefs and theory when systematically developed

- Augustine assimilated Roman ideals into Christian theology

- a willingness to tolerate new theologies

Web definitions

the rational and systematic study of religion and its influences and of the nature of religious truth

a particular system or school of religious beliefs and teachings; "Jewish theology"; "Roman Catholic theology"

the learned profession acquired by specialized courses in religion (usually taught at a college or seminary); "he studied theology at Oxford"

But Paul's skills came in handy later. It gave him opporutunities to share the Gospel in places that he would not have gotten to otherwise. Jesus chose one of the greatest scholars of Israel to be his loudest mouthpiece in first century

No one said we do not need a strong biblical base, strong in knowing Him, but studied in theology of religions and such doesn't always make one an effective witness either. Paul used what he had, what God had given him also to reach out, Paul used not only the bible but their own things while teaching them. I am not sure Paul was the greatest of scholars but God called him for many reasons not just because he was fluent in Torah.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

I might add that there are Christians on countries with no acres to a bible at all or anybother form of theological training. That are yet effective witnesses.

Guest shiloh357
Prideful? Well ok let me say this, most 'theologians' I know are prideful, they exhibit pride when they say things like, your mistakes, its your problem, your this or your that. To me 'theologians' are those who not just have sat in schools to learn all the little ways of showing others the wrong way of 'exegisis' but those arm chair ones who act as if they know more than the rest, and of course that is a broad over view to be sure.

What I have noticed is that theologians and theology are disdained by those who have pet theories about God, the Bible, etc. and they are bothered by people who show the errors of those theories and they can do so through a competent handling of Scripture. Theologians do not have a monopoly on pride.

I truly dislike the word 'theology', it has been thrown around by way too many as some kind of litmus test of ones understandings of all things God and if ones doesn't match up with the ones their teachers and books showed them then everyone is wrong but them.
That is more of a value you have assigned to them than actual reality.

I have been on forum boards a long time and for all of those years theres at least one or two 'trained' or in training theologians who take everyone to task unless it adds up to their theological stance.

Yeah, that's the usual accusation... I have been on forums a long time too. There are a lot of people who show up with some really bad stuff and some stuff that sounds plausible until you really cross-examine what they say.

I find that a lot of people take each other to task. People have no problem having beliefs and theories taken to task until it is THEIR theories that are on the hot seat. No one finds their outrage until it is their views that are being challenged. Suddenly, it's that "mean ol' theologian..."

So frankly its theologians themselves that have given the title a bad rep.
No, they haven't. No one minds theologians when they have questions or when they feel they can use scholarship to their advantage. It is the awful old theologians who helped provide you with a Bible to read. They provide with you all kinds of study resources and helps out there. The Christian church is pregnant with study tools and resources that provide us with valuabel insights into Scripture and many of them are very user friendly.

I never said study is not necessary...
No one said you did.

How often witnessing to someone truly seeking do you need to pull out calvin, or any of the rest?
This again goes to your misperception about what theology is.

I cannot escape others insistance that their theology is better than others either, doesn't make it correct.

Actually better theology will always be more correct. The more scripturally based, the better it will be and that means it is far more correct than theology that doesn't measure up. The more studied a person is, the more of a sharpened instrument they will be in the Lord's hand. A person who spends an hour a day in thoughtful study of Scripture will be much better equipped than a person who only spends 5 minuties a day in their devotionals.

the·ol·o·gy

noun /THēˈäləjē/ 

theologies, plural

1.The study of the nature of God and religious belief

2.Religious beliefs and theory when systematically developed

- Augustine assimilated Roman ideals into Christian theology

- a willingness to tolerate new theologies

Web definitions

the rational and systematic study of religion and its influences and of the nature of religious truth

a particular system or school of religious beliefs and teachings; "Jewish theology"; "Roman Catholic theology"

the learned profession acquired by specialized courses in religion (usually taught at a college or seminary); "he studied theology at Oxford"

That is the lexical definition of Theology, but it misses the spirit of what theology really is. It is the study not only of who God is, and what God is, but it is a study of how what we can know about God can be applied to our lives in a practical manner. Theology is not just head knowledge but is very pragmatic. It is very much a part of how we live our daily lives.

No one said we do not need a strong biblical base, strong in knowing Him, but studied in theology of religions and such doesn't always make one an effective witness either.
But it does not make one an ineffective witness. Theological knoweldge on its own is not enough, but it is not an impediment to being effective in sharing the Gospel. In fact, it adds an important dimension to how we share the gospel.

Paul used what he had, what God had given him also to reach out, Paul used not only the bible but their own things while teaching them. I am not sure Paul was the greatest of scholars but God called him for many reasons not just because he was fluent in Torah.

The point is that God did not circumvent Paul's scholarship, but rather took advantage of it. Paul's knowledge and authority as a Rabbi provided him venues and opportunities not available to the other apostles. He was one of the greatest scholars in Israel in his day. Had he not been born again, he would have been mentioned right up there with Akiva and Gameliel and other great Rabbis of that time period.

It seems that spiritual gifts are being blurred together here. A teacher is best for teaching and an evangelist is someone who gives witness in my understanding

Every believer should constantly be developing a deeper relationship to the Lord, even theologically.

But an evangelist has to know when to lean on the holy spirit instead intellectual information.

If the question was "should an evangelist study theology" then my answer is a resounding YES. If, as it appears, the question is "is theology necessary for evangelism" my answer is "though it may help, it is not necessary"

It seems a bit arrogant to think that our efforts can get anyone saved. in evangelism, out testimony is much more important than explaining the details of how His Kingdom works.

Prayer for a person, with a testimony of Gods mercy is the best "strategy" for enhancing our effectiveness as a witness/evangelist. Because unless the holy spirit does the work, we would only be swaying an intellectual opinion that can be swayed back by another person later on.

And when holy spirit has prepared someone in advance for an evangelist/witness, then really anything could be the deciding factor.

I don't recommend this, but once I led a Rosicrucian to faith just by having a beer with him and listening to his objections. He talked himself into faith by seeing that I was more interested in his well being than putting another notch on my "holy fisherman" belt

So my position is that many things enhance our ability to hear what the spirit is saying, but all that is necessary for evangelism is the humility to let the holy spirit lead you and the person you hope to evangelize.

In my experience the best evangelism happens as you simply live supernaturally and allow Him to be seen in you and through you in such a way that people ask where your hope comes from. In other words, being accessible enough for people to come to you with their life's troubles and doubts. They will trust those who sincerely care about their soul.

Love is still the answer

Guest shiloh357
It seems that spiritual gifts are being blurred together here.
We are talking about ministry callings not spiritual gifts. The OP believes she is called to be an evangelist and has significant evidence in her life to support that belief.

A teacher is best for teaching and an evangelist is someone who gives witness in my understanding
Yes but there are many examples today where both teachers and evangelists cross over those lines of demarcation from time to time. But that involves professional full time, vocational minisitry. I think we all understand that the just sharing the gospel to peolpe we encounter in our daily lives is entirely different and does not involve long diatribes of theological minutia.

Every believer should constantly be developing a deeper relationship to the Lord, even theologically.

But an evangelist has to know when to lean on the holy spirit instead intellectual information.

The Holy Spirt shold be relied upon 100% of the time. He is also the God of our intellect. The Holy Spirit and "intellectual information" are not necessarily mutually exclusive. You simply cannot separate the mind and intellect out from the heart and how the Holy Spirit works in a person's life and ministry. To assume that the "teacher" relies on intellectual information, but the evangelist has to lean on the Holy Spirit is to draw a line between the heart and the intellect that the Bible does not draw.

If the question was "should an evangelist study theology" then my answer is a resounding YES. If, as it appears, the question is "is theology necessary for evangelism" my answer is "though it may help, it is not necessary"
Eviidently, you need to go back and read the question. The question was, "How important is theology for evangelists?" You are reading more into the question than is there and then responding with your own "yuck" opinion of theology. You try to put on a tolerant face, but what really comes out in your responses is a decidedly advesrse view of theology.

It seems a bit arrogant to think that our efforts can get anyone saved.
You are exactly rignt. And if anyone here had suggested such a thing, I would understand the need for such a comment. As it is, you are trying to refute an argument that wasn't raised.

in evangelism, out testimony is much more important than explaining the details of how His Kingdom works.
It might surprise you to konw that you are not the only one who understands what evangelism is. You are not the only one on here with street evangelism experience. You are drawing a lot of false assumptions about what we know or don't know about evangelism.

Prayer for a person, with a testimony of Gods mercy is the best "strategy" for enhancing our effectiveness as a witness/evangelist. Because unless the holy spirit does the work, we would only be swaying an intellectual opinion that can be swayed back by another person later on.

And when holy spirit has prepared someone in advance for an evangelist/witness, then really anything could be the deciding factor.

That is because you never always know where you are at in the whole planting/watering scheme. The Lord may hav beeen working on them for some tme. You may encounter people who are ready to receive Christ, but their hearts have been watered by several people before you came on the scene. Then again, you might be the first person to share with them and they have not had years and years to build up walls and defenses and their heart is still fertile ground.

In my experience the best evangelism happens as you simply live supernaturally and allow Him to be seen in you and through you in such a way that people ask where your hope comes from. In other words, being accessible enough for people to come to you with their life's troubles and doubts. They will trust those who sincerely care about their soul.
No one is debating or challenging that. You keep offering this kind of thing up to refute something that has not been said.

I am not offering up a "theology vs. the Holy Spirit argument. YOU are the one doing that. Theology is necessary, but I am not saying it is necessary because it is better or more important than relying on the Holy Spirit. You are the one assigning that value to my argument. One can be a very studious and skilled theologian and still have a passion for raching the lost and live a life in reliance on the power and guidance of the Holy Spirit. If iyou cannot accept that, then you have a very skewed and grossly flawed uinderstanding of the value and purpose of theology in the life of a believer.