• Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Schools Declare War on Halloween

Oct 21, 2011

Public schools across the country are cancelling Halloween celebrations over issues ranging from candy corn to concerns that Americans are forcing their holiday traditions on new immigrants and many parents are angered by what they are calling political correctness.

The principal at Buckman Elementary School in Portland, OR recently banned costumes at his school, calling instead for boys and girls to embrace a “spirit of equity.”

“For many reasons, the celebration of Halloween at school can lead to student exclusion,” Principal Brian Anderson wrote in a letter to parents. “There are social, financial and cultural differences among our families that we must respect.”

Anderson wrote that the “spirit of equity” has led most public schools in the city to “deemphasize the celebration of Halloween at school.”

The outrage among parents was profound and prompted a story in the Portland Mercurcy.

Rest here

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Costumes were also banned in Clear Lake Riviera, CA – until parents got fired up.

Diana Davidson, the principal at Riviera Elementary School, reversed the ban after she said it had become a “more emotional issue” than she had anticipated, reported The Record Bee.

She told the newspaper that the original intent of the ban was to include all children, noting that kids who don’t dress up get teased.

Kids tease about names!

You can't ban all what kids tease. You teach and discipline them to cease teasing.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

What ever the method to ban this from school the better off the 'kids' will be. It is satanic and the effects on the students of the vampire movies and the occult books are devastating - they do not need to spend a whole day engulfed with this.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

Good! Finally they are banning something satanic instead of Godly! I am not sad to see it go. What saddens me is that so many parents are complaining about the schools banning Halloween, but no one stood up when they banned the Lords prayer or any Christian ideas in Christmas concerts.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Good! Finally they are banning something satanic instead of Godly! I am not sad to see it go. What saddens me is that so many parents are complaining about the schools banning Halloween, but no one stood up when they banned the Lords prayer or any Christian ideas in Christmas concerts.

Agreed. I do not care for Halloween but I do think schools have become so politicially correct that they lose sight of what schools are really all about: EDUCATION.

Get back to teaching children what is absolutely necessary. Sometimes I wonder if we have allowed so much into the schools with celebrating every thing in the first place. Shouldn't it be done in the home/community/neighborhood? All of this political correctness is gone amok. We can't please everyone at all times and we shouldn't apologize for it either. They have to understand it doesn't always go THEIR way.

I could understand if schools have a celebration for the 4th of July holiday because I believe that would be a good way to have kids connect the holiday and how it is relevant to American History.

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,043
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  237
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

It has been banned for many years here in Wales ..where we still celebrate CHRISTIAN Holy days and use The Lords prayer daily. :emot-highfive::emot-highfive::emot-highfive::emot-highfive::emot-highfive:

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

It has been banned for many years here in Wales ..where we still celebrate CHRISTIAN Holy days and use The Lords prayer daily. :emot-highfive::emot-highfive::emot-highfive::emot-highfive::emot-highfive:

How truly wonderful. That is no longer the case in Canada.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

That is shocking to me that a school is banning something thats not Judeo-Christian for once.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I have no problem when kids dress up as movie characters and go get candy on halloween.

It's when they wear zombie and vampire etc. costumes that I am against it.