eandkandf

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

So here in Matthew 5:27-30 it basically goes 1. Do not look(with your eye site I like to think) on women with lustful intent or you have committed adultery 2. If you can't control your eyes from looking upon a woman like that pluck it out or your hand should be chopped off if you can't stop sinning with it. 3. then it's better to enter life maimed than to be cast into hell.

I ask presumptuously why would Jesus talk about sinning with your eyes and then suggest plucking them out in order to save oneself from hell? Also it is told somewhere in the epistles that we get a new spiritual body fit for eternity anyways.

What do you think? p.s. I really think it would be good to do a blind man experiment like a band over the eyes if you have lustful gazing problems...

Guest shiloh357

So here in Matthew 5:27-30 it basically goes 1. Do not look(with your eye site I like to think) on women with lustful intent or you have committed adultery 2. If you can't control your eyes from looking upon a woman like that pluck it out or your hand should be chopped off if you can't stop sinning with it. 3. then it's better to enter life maimed than to be cast into hell.

I ask presumptuously why would Jesus talk about sinning with your eyes and then suggest plucking them out in order to save oneself from hell? Also it is told somewhere in the epistles that we get a new spiritual body fit for eternity anyways.

What do you think? p.s. I really think it would be good to do a blind man experiment like a band over the eyes if you have lustful gazing problems...

Ye have heard that it was said, Thou shalt not commit adultery: but I say unto you, that every one that looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. And if thy right eye causeth thee to stumble, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not thy whole body be cast into hell. (Mat 5:27-29)

Jesus' point is self-mastery. He is thankfully not enjoining self-mutilation. Jesus is talking about living a self-disciplined life. We are "cut off" those associations and remove from our lives all things that cause us to be snared into committing sin. The image of "right hand" and "right eye" is a common reference in the ancient near east for what is most precious to us. Not only are we to avoid committing the act, there should be nothing in our lives or in our hearts to prompt us to sin in the first place. Our entire lives need to be built around and encourage us toward holy living.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Ye have heard that it was said, Thou shalt not commit adultery: but I say unto you, that every one that looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. And if thy right eye causeth thee to stumble, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not thy whole body be cast into hell. (Mat 5:27-29)

Jesus' point is self-mastery. He is thankfully not enjoining self-mutilation. Jesus is talking about living a self-disciplined life. We are "cut off" those associations and remove from our lives all things that cause us to be snared into committing sin. The image of "right hand" and "right eye" is a common reference in the ancient near east for what is most precious to us. Not only are we to avoid committing the act, there should be nothing in our lives or in our hearts to prompt us to sin in the first place. Our entire lives need to be built around and encourage us toward holy living.

Excellent, 'shiloh357'. Self-mutilation is an abomination to God and profit nothing. Once one pucks out his eye is he any more holier, has he be sanctified, does he have any more of God's love for women that would cause him not to lust.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The image of "right hand" and "right eye" is a common reference in the ancient near east for what is most precious to us.

Good to know. Thanks!

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/29/1957

The image of "right hand" and "right eye" is a common reference in the ancient near east for what is most precious to us.

Good to know. Thanks!

So , are you saying that we should remove all , and reframe from being around any and all things that may cause us to sin?

Guest shiloh357

Good to know. Thanks!

So , are you saying that we should remove all , and reframe from being around any and all things that may cause us to sin?

The idea is to cut off those things from our lives that lead us into temptation. For instance, f you have friends who are a bad influence and you cannot withstand the peer pressure to engage in sin, it is necessary for you to cut off that relationship. Whatever triggers the temptation to engage in sin should be removed from your life.

It is easier to keep sin out of your life if you don't let it in to begin with. We should be building our lives around what is holy and pleasing to God.

Good to know. Thanks!

The idea is to cut off those things from our lives that lead us into temptation. For instance, f you have friends who are a bad influence and you cannot withstand the peer pressure to engage in sin, it is necessary for you to cut off that relationship. Whatever triggers the temptation to engage in sin should be removed from your life.

It is easier to keep sin out of your life if you don't let it in to begin with. We should be building our lives around what is holy and pleasing to God.

That sounds like good advise. But how can you truely tell what is pleasing to God? One verse says this, one verse says that. plus there are so many different churches that say they are the true church, so you must worship their way or you are in sin.. I truely believe that God exists. But how can I truely know how to worship him the way he wants.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Good to know. Thanks!

That sounds like good advise. But how can you truely tell what is pleasing to God? One verse says this, one verse says that. plus there are so many different churches that say they are the true church, so you must worship their way or you are in sin.. I truely believe that God exists. But how can I truely know how to worship him the way he wants.

Learn to listen to His very quiet, soft voice within you. He speaks through His Spirit. How do you know it is Him? See if what He tells you agrees with scripture.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

We are commanded in the Bible to walk circumspectly, and flee from every appearance of evil.

Good to know. Thanks!

Learn to listen to His very quiet, soft voice within you. He speaks through His Spirit. How do you know it is Him? See if what He tells you agrees with scripture.

OneLight : You will never know how much I need to hear that. Thank you so much.