IGNORED

Dancing in the Spirit or Dancing for Show?

Fearfully1derfullyMade

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  255
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/08/1963

By the way, has anyone "barked" lately that you know of, or was that kept to the mid-90's?

Now that you mention it, I feel a WOOF coming on! HAHAHA :)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Shouting - again this is variable.

Sometimes it's excitement. "Shout joyfully to the Lord...."

But sometimes it's intercession. I know that's a hard one to grasp until you actually feel this pressure build-up in your gut and you have to release it somehow - verbal shouts and groanings are the easiest way to do that!

And yes, there are those that need discipline. But hey, you have children in the house, they are going to make a mess. Help them to grow and mature rather than stifle them. ;)

I understand and agree completely agree with what you are saying, but I'm not talking about literal "Shouting".

In the churches that I grew up in and even on spiritual TV, like TBN, Daystar etc; some Christians refer to their dancing in the Spirit as "Shoutin".

I don't know if this is a denominational thing or what, but I've witnessed people jumping up and dancing (Shoutin)during the preaching/teaching portion of the church service. One of my close relatives does this at every church they go to and it is embarrassing. I find it embarrassing b/c not every church believes or feels comfortable with "Shoutin".

I've asked my relative why they do this and their response was that " It's the Holy Ghost". Again I don't believe that.

When I was growing up, I remember one member of the congregation said that when you close your eyes and dance around "Shout" and the HS is guiding you, you will not hurt yourself. Now if you "Shout" with your eyes closed and nothing happens to you, then the HS is guiding you.

I think it's nonsense, it has to be some man-made ritual, but how do you convince someone that you love that what they are doing isn't necessarily wrong, but can be harmful, not only physically, but also spiritually. I'm not saying that people who do this and believe in this will go to hell b/c I'm not God, but I don't think that it is in any way helpful to believe false doctrine, which is what I believe dancing in the Spirit "Shoutin" is.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,247
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

You are not yet seeing the point of the matter and that is presently alright. God is your revealing agent, not me.

You appear to have taken a greater offense because I switched some words. I do hope you do not think I am considering what I wrote and being equal to scripture? What was written was simply to illustrate a point and not to somehow invent or concoct new scripture equal to what is clearly Spirit-derived.

Oh yes -- I believe in plain spoken words like: "I believe in the completeness and fullness of Scripture ..." Perhaps you can ask yourself if saying "verbal plenary inspiration" is "showing off"?

You are loved in Christ, brother Steven! The admonition above is simply an observation and not an accusation. You stand or fall before Christ and not me. Oh yes -- and lest we forget -- I stand and fall before Christ and not you. We are brothers in Christ and not co-judges of each other.

Peace and Love in His Spirit to you all! :)

I used to make the mistake of reading emotion into writings, but try less of that now! It is an assuming sort of practice... Thank you for your expression of love! I did not know the use of verbal plenary inspiration was a show off thing but a concept derived from learning and used for abbreviated speaking. Study to show thyself approved... This forum is for growing in fellowship of His Word and gleaning the richness of each individual here! Some come with more baggage than others but all in all an excellent exercise in growth in Christ as it teaches us to always respond with God's Love in mind first. Now the ability of writing- intent is sometime misconstrued and that is why I try not to read emotion into writings for the added confusion and harm of improper response could bring! My entire desire here is for building up and pointing to spiritual directives that are not always brought to view...

In your case

Romans 14:(3) The one dancing, do not despise the one not dancing. And the one not dancing, do not judge the one dancing, for God received him.

If you all will allow me the liberty to change the words eating to dancing and see if the shoe fits?

clearly your saying it was not your intent but as the quote indicates it was what you did! So all that has passed between us is that you have violated your own intent. There are small ones here that read these post and could walk away thinking it is okay to move around or exchange words in Scripture and it is ok to do that cause.... So clearly by both our understandings it is not! Judging what you write is not judging you! We are to address the writing and not the person as the rules we have agreed to by the very fact of being members here! Love, Steven

But sometimes it's intercession. I know that's a hard one to grasp until you actually feel this pressure build-up in your gut and you have to release it somehow - verbal shouts and groanings are the easiest way to do that!

And yes, there are those that need discipline. But hey, you have children in the house, they are going to make a mess. Help them to grow and mature rather than stifle them. ;)

I disagree with this due to this teaching in Scripture 1Cor 14 last of chapter speaks of a recognized order and right way of doing things... Imagine in heaven and God is speaking- who is going to interrupt Him with any type of noise whatsoever? Is not the preacher allowing God to Speak from Him? A deeper reality would be why would we want to distract from the message that is being given out to (I) and those around me? These are matters of church polity to allow God the respect of His Word being proclaimed.... It is just like a judge you are standing before for sentencing- you don't interrupt Him without consequence!

I understand and agree completely agree with what you are saying, but I'm not talking about literal "Shouting".

In the churches that I grew up in and even on spiritual TV, like TBN, Daystar etc; some Christians refer to their dancing in the Spirit as "Shoutin".

I don't know if this is a denominational thing or what, but I've witnessed people jumping up and dancing (Shoutin)during the preaching/teaching portion of the church service. One of my close relatives does this at every church they go to and it is embarrassing. I find it embarrassing b/c not every church believes or feels comfortable with "Shoutin".

I've asked my relative why they do this and their response was that " It's the Holy Ghost". Again I don't believe that.

What of the offense? 1Cor 8 is a directive to be focused on the needs of others around us to and not to use that liberty for the flesh! The last of Rom 14 also stresses this idea of the need to be others sensitive... Just plain common sense God initiating a Pastor to speak the Word and then at the same time initiating a disturbance to distract from the first... I do not believe this to be of God!

When I was growing up, I remember one member of the congregation said that when you close your eyes and dance around "Shout" and the HS is guiding you, you will not hurt yourself. Now if you "Shout" with your eyes closed and nothing happens to you, then the HS is guiding you.

What is the difference from this you have given witness of and this

Lk 4:9-12

9 Then he brought Him to Jerusalem, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, "If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down from here. 10 For it is written: 'He shall give His angels charge over you, to keep you,' 11 and, 'In their hands they shall bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone.'"

12 And Jesus answered and said to him, "It has been said, 'You shall not tempt the Lord your God.'"

NKJV

I think it's nonsense, it has to be some man-made ritual, but how do you convince someone that you love that what they are doing isn't necessarily wrong, but can be harmful, not only physically, but also spiritually. I'm not saying that people who do this and believe in this will go to hell b/c I'm not God, but I don't think that it is in any way helpful to believe false doctrine, which is what I believe dancing in the Spirit "Shoutin" is.

A prayer so founded upon the will of God that you may rest yourself upon that petition remaining before Him to execute His answer to the perfection of His time and Good Pleasure... Love, Steven

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I believe in the verbal plenary inspiration of Scripture... Love, Steven

The verbal whats-its?

Would would please clarify what this is?

I never heard of this. :huh:

What churches did you grow up in?

I don't know if this is a denominational thing or what, but I've witnessed people jumping up and dancing (Shoutin)during the preaching/teaching portion of the church service.

Hmmm...the only thing that comes to mind is what some black (African American - or whatever term we are supposed to use these days? Sorry, just confused) congregations. But in those services it seems the "Shoutin" is encouraged, with the instruments playing and everything.

Well, without being there are seeing it or knowing the person, I can't accurately assess the situation. It could simply be a matter of a person like me who loves to be wild and crazy when excited (we're the nuts at the sports events, too!) just feeling joyful in the Lord and expressing that through the physical body. I've known that, but only during worship.

The Lord meets us in different ways, depending on who we are or where we're at. Some of us just happen to be nuts and popcorn and jumping beans.

Just something to consider in this.

I disagree with this due to this teaching in Scripture 1Cor 14 last of chapter speaks of a recognized order and right way of doing things... Imagine in heaven and God is speaking- who is going to interrupt Him with any type of noise whatsoever? Is not the preacher allowing God to Speak from Him? A deeper reality would be why would we want to distract from the message that is being given out to (I) and those around me? These are matters of church polity to allow God the respect of His Word being proclaimed.... It is just like a judge you are standing before for sentencing- you don't interrupt Him without consequence!

I wasn't thinking of this in terms of being in the middle of a sermon. Again, I haven't seen this being done.

But come to think of it, I think my pastor might actually be blessed to see someone excited enough to jump up and down; he's practically pulling our teeth to get us to say, "Amen!" once in while.

I believe in the verbal plenary inspiration of Scripture... Love, Steven

The verbal whats-its?

Would would please clarify what this is?

It means that every word in its original writing moves us to the perfection of God's purpose for us fulfilling the promise of this portion of His Word

2 Ti 3:16-17

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

KJV

The verbal is into the very grammatic of the sentence structure of nouns, verbs, prepositions, articles, etc.

The plenary just means completeness a entity that has nothing more or nothing less to be complete thus fulfilling Rev 22's warning.

Inspiration of course is delivering, even though through man, God intended and empowered to bring it about using all that was in the writer.

To write it another way would be to say That God so loved us that He presided over the writer, in the full use of writer, to inspire the writings of His Word to the nth detail so that perfection might be understood outside of us, and to be only found In His Son. Whereby in action we willingly agree the right to the death of ourselves and live to The Precepts that are found therein with a new mind... Love Steven

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Simpler - God inspired Word without any interference in the language or writing style of the authors. Each of the books of the Bible are God inspired yet the style and manner of writing is not interfered with by the Holy Spirit.

I wasn't thinking of this in terms of being in the middle of a sermon. Again, I haven't seen this being done.

But come to think of it, I think my pastor might actually be blessed to see someone excited enough to jump up and down; he's practically pulling our teeth to get us to say, "Amen!" once in while.

I understood it as the preaching was occuring? I could be wrong I experience a lot of that! :red_smile: Love, Steven