• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/23/1977

So I would like to discuss my reading with a few of you. I will post what i read and explain what i got out of it and pose some questions for further understanding and/or opinions. Please remember I am still drinking milk and not quite ready for meat yet.

Thank you :)

Proverbs 19

1 Better is the poor who walks in his integrity Than one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool.2 Also it is not good for a soul to be without knowledge, And he sins who hastens with his feet.3 The foolishness of a man twists his way, And his heart frets against the Lord.4 Wealth makes many friends, But the poor is separated from his friend.5 A false witness will not go unpunished, And he who speaks lies will not escape.6 Many entreat the favor of the nobility, And every man is a friend to one who gives gifts.7 All the brothers of the poor hate him; How much more do his friends go far from him! He may pursue them with words, yet they abandon him. 8 He who gets wisdom loves his own soul; He who keeps understanding will find good.9 A false witness will not go unpunished, And he who speaks lies shall perish.10 Luxury is not fitting for a fool, Much less for a servant to rule over princes.11 The discretion of a man makes him slow to anger, And his glory is to overlook a transgression.12 The kings wrath is like the roaring of a lion, But his favor is like dew on the grass.13 A foolish son is the ruin of his father, And the contentions of a wife are a continual dripping.14 Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers, But a prudent wife is from the Lord.15 Laziness casts one into a deep sleep, And an idle person will suffer hunger.16 He who keeps the commandment keeps his soul, But he who is careless of his ways will die.17 He who has pity on the poor lends to the Lord, And He will pay back what he has given.18 Chasten your son while there is hope, And do not set your heart on his destruction.19 A man of great wrath will suffer punishment; For if you rescue him, you will have to do it again.20 Listen to counsel and receive instruction, That you may be wise in your latter days.21 There are many plans in a mans heart, Nevertheless the Lords counselthat will stand.22 What is desired in a man is kindness, And a poor man is better than a liar.23 The fear of the Lord leads to life, And he who has it will abide in satisfaction; He will not be visited with evil.24 A lazy man buries his hand in the bowl, And will not so much as bring it to his mouth again.25 Strike a scoffer, and the simple will become wary; Rebuke one who has understanding, and he will discern knowledge.26 He who mistreats his father and chases away his mother Is a son who causes shame and brings reproach.27 Cease listening to instruction, my son, And you will stray from the words of knowledge.28 A disreputable witness scorns justice, And the mouth of the wicked devours iniquity.29 Judgments are prepared for scoffers, And beatings for the backs of fools.

My understand of Proverbs Ch 19

1) a person should be sincere and honest instead of trying to keep up with the "jones'" 2) Take time to learn and be open to new ideas 3) trying to do it your way instead of God's way will get you nowhere fast 4) more isnt always better 5) becareful of your words and actions, you will be held accountable 6) it's easy to be greedy 7) **need help here** 8)study and learn and seek goodness always. 9) **goes with 5** 10)**need help** 11) do not make assumptions or jump to conclussions, forgive others 12)**need help** 13) Continual dripping of what? 14) God will give you help if you follow him 15) Following christ does not equal picking daisies in the lower 40. 16) If you keep the faith and believe in God you will have life 17) Give to others, pay it forward. 18)**need help** 19)**need help** 20) seek god's counsel and direction 21) You may make plans, but God's supercede yours 22) kindness fills others, while lieing leaves all empty 23) in Christ's love we are safe from evil 24) a lazy person will not seek the truth nor teach the truth 25)**need help** 26) Honor thy mother and father 27) if you stop seeking the truth, you will stray from the author of truth 28)**need help** 29)**need help**

What do you get from this chapter?

Can you help me understand some of the verses marked **need help**?

Do I need to revisit any of my understandings thus far?

I find it interesting and disheartening at the same time, that God felt he had to repeat himself so many times, but using different words to get across the one message of "Through God there is bounitful life and without him you will perish"

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I'll give a shot at the ones you need help on, but remember it is only my opinion.

7) While a prince is in power, everybody is his friend because he can give gifts. Once the prince is removed from office, evrybody that swore their allegiance to him until their dying day, will now hate him.

9) Simple, God hates a lying tongue.

10) The first part of the Proverb refers to a fool who is of royal birth and enjoys luxury, rank, and honor. His rule brings no delight. The second part refers to a servant who somehow finds himself in a position of authority. Generally when this happens, he is cruel and tyrannical.

13) I'm going to hang myself on this one :o but here it goes. It refers to a wife's nagging, as an example: the Chinese water torture. A single drop of water on the head causes little difficulty, but, if perpetually continued, will drive one to insanity. (okay ladies, start throwing the frying pans :laugh: )

25) Some claim that punishment for crime is no deterrent! While it is true it is not the best deterrent, which is conversion of the soul, still, judgement of evil is definitely a deterrent.

28) This is just qualities of a great leader, mercy and truth.

29) One of my favorite Proverbs. What is presented here is contrasted glory. The truth is, the "glory" of both young and old should be their knowledge of the word of God. "Strength" soon fades and the "gray head" is soon to die; the word of God endures forever.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I love Proverbs. It will take some time to complete all 29 verses.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

So I would like to discuss my reading with a few of you. I will post what i read and explain what i got out of it and pose some questions for further understanding and/or opinions. Please remember I am still drinking milk and not quite ready for meat yet.

Thank you :)

Proverbs 19

1 Better is the poor who walks in his integrity Than one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool.2 Also it is not good for a soul to be without knowledge, And he sins who hastens with his feet.3 The foolishness of a man twists his way, And his heart frets against the Lord.4 Wealth makes many friends, But the poor is separated from his friend.5 A false witness will not go unpunished, And he who speaks lies will not escape.6 Many entreat the favor of the nobility, And every man is a friend to one who gives gifts.7 All the brothers of the poor hate him; How much more do his friends go far from him! He may pursue them with words, yet they abandon him. 8 He who gets wisdom loves his own soul; He who keeps understanding will find good.9 A false witness will not go unpunished, And he who speaks lies shall perish.10 Luxury is not fitting for a fool, Much less for a servant to rule over princes.11 The discretion of a man makes him slow to anger, And his glory is to overlook a transgression.12 The kings wrath is like the roaring of a lion, But his favor is like dew on the grass.13 A foolish son is the ruin of his father, And the contentions of a wife are a continual dripping.14 Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers, But a prudent wife is from the Lord.15 Laziness casts one into a deep sleep, And an idle person will suffer hunger.16 He who keeps the commandment keeps his soul, But he who is careless of his ways will die.17 He who has pity on the poor lends to the Lord, And He will pay back what he has given.18 Chasten your son while there is hope, And do not set your heart on his destruction.19 A man of great wrath will suffer punishment; For if you rescue him, you will have to do it again.20 Listen to counsel and receive instruction, That you may be wise in your latter days.21 There are many plans in a mans heart, Nevertheless the Lords counselthat will stand.22 What is desired in a man is kindness, And a poor man is better than a liar.23 The fear of the Lord leads to life, And he who has it will abide in satisfaction; He will not be visited with evil.24 A lazy man buries his hand in the bowl, And will not so much as bring it to his mouth again.25 Strike a scoffer, and the simple will become wary; Rebuke one who has understanding, and he will discern knowledge.26 He who mistreats his father and chases away his mother Is a son who causes shame and brings reproach.27 Cease listening to instruction, my son, And you will stray from the words of knowledge.28 A disreputable witness scorns justice, And the mouth of the wicked devours iniquity.29 Judgments are prepared for scoffers, And beatings for the backs of fools.

My understand of Proverbs Ch 19

1) a person should be sincere and honest instead of trying to keep up with the "jones'" 2) Take time to learn and be open to new ideas 3) trying to do it your way instead of God's way will get you nowhere fast 4) more isnt always better 5) becareful of your words and actions, you will be held accountable 6) it's easy to be greedy 7) **need help here** 8)study and learn and seek goodness always. 9) **goes with 5** 10)**need help** 11) do not make assumptions or jump to conclussions, forgive others 12)**need help** 13) Continual dripping of what? 14) God will give you help if you follow him 15) Following christ does not equal picking daisies in the lower 40. 16) If you keep the faith and believe in God you will have life 17) Give to others, pay it forward. 18)**need help** 19)**need help** 20) seek god's counsel and direction 21) You may make plans, but God's supercede yours 22) kindness fills others, while lieing leaves all empty 23) in Christ's love we are safe from evil 24) a lazy person will not seek the truth nor teach the truth 25)**need help** 26) Honor thy mother and father 27) if you stop seeking the truth, you will stray from the author of truth 28)**need help** 29)**need help**

What do you get from this chapter?

Can you help me understand some of the verses marked **need help**?

Do I need to revisit any of my understandings thus far?

I find it interesting and disheartening at the same time, that God felt he had to repeat himself so many times, but using different words to get across the one message of "Through God there is bounitful life and without him you will perish"

# 7) People will avoid the poor because they know they will ask them for something whether it be money, a place to stay, groceries etc,. Being the case people will avoid the poor.

# 10) Someone who just lives it up living a foolish lifestyle will lose even the luxuries of life that they have because of their own fooliness. I'ts a lesser things for a servant not to be a ruler over princes because as a ruler over them they can take liberties with them as a ruler.

# 12) The anger of a King is as terrifying as lion's roar. The favor of a King is as gentle as the dew is on the grass it's new and fresh each morning.

# 18) It's better to punish your children while young so they will grow up knowing right from wrong and hopefully they can make good choices in life being for their good and not for their harm. It's the opposite for parents who do not punish their children because without teaching your children there is a right and there is a wrong. Then without discipline you set your own heart on the destruction of your children.

# 19) A person who get's so angry he is blinded by it and doesn't care or even consider the consequences of his actions. If you get a person full of rage out of trouble you'll end up having to do it again unless he get's rid of the rage in his life as it is a force to be reckoned with.

# 25) If you hit a person who is mocking something then then common plain simple folks are going to take caution from what may happen as they also may be being mocked themselves.

# 28) A witness who is not reliable to tell the truth in court is a person who looks down upon and is angry with the justice system having no respect for it. So the mouth of the false witnesses spews out iniquities falsehood and lies.

# 29) Those who scoff at the things, promises and ways of God mocking the truth and believing they are not so. On the other hand the punishments of the foolish can turn them around unlike the scoffers whom judgment is upon.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I

9) Simple, God hates a lying tongue.

"The devil has many tools, but a lie is the handle that fits them all"

Most things start with a lie. Lying to ourselves, lying to others, lying to God (right, that works.......)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/20/1958

"The devil has many tools, but a lie is the handle that fits them all"

I recently heard a preacher say the adversary has only one weapon--his lying mouth.

Both statements can be true.

And, yes indeed, it does mean a nagging, argumentative wife is like a dripping faucet.

I'm sure there's a corresponding verse somewhere about a cheating, lying, drunken, no-account husband.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I owe you an apology Muddycamo, I was reading Proverbs 20: 28,29 in my last post and not Proverbs 19: 28,29, I must of turned one page to many. :laugh: (I'm getting old)

Proverbs

28) An ungodly witness scorneth judgment: and the mouth of the wicked devoureth iniquity.

According to my readings, the ungodly witness is similar to the false witness of 19:9. God has promised that such would not be unpunished.

29) Judgments are prepared for scorners, and stripes for the back of fools.

The Holy Spirit states unequivocally that despite the scorning mouth of the wicked, judgments are prepared by God for these scorners.

And, yes indeed, it does mean a nagging, argumentative wife is like a dripping faucet.

I'm sure there's a corresponding verse somewhere about a cheating, lying, drunken, no-account husband.

You are right Danl, there are probably more accounts in the Bible of cheating, lying, drunken, no-account husbands then there are of dripping faucets.