He giveth more grace

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Bondage and the Bible is a 60 minute independent film by Eric Harmon. This film includes the critical analysis of the Bible’s endorsement of slavery and examines the inconsistent message in the New Testament, which supports slavery and inequality.

Synopsis:

Bondage and the Bible tackles the controversial subject of African Americans who follow the bible as “the word of god” despite glaring passages that support and condone the institution of slavery. The film examines how Old Testament curses and commandments legitimizes slavery and how New Testament scriptures urge slaves to obey even the cruelest of masters. In addition, the film evaluates the psychological damage that ensues when African American people worship iconic images of a white god. Using actual bible scriptures and interviews with people ranging from biblical scholars to ordinary citizens, the film offers a diverse look at how the bible’s support of slavery allowed U.S. slave owners to pass on a religion to African Americans that guaranteed an inferior relationship to all things divine.

[underline mine]

Found on The Freethought Society website, trailer included on site.

I received a feeback from my site saying, "Can you help me locate a property that was listed at the... [end], I have a blog on the history of my city. Now sometimes I think that am posed to strike, curt, short tempered, that is a learned behavor and another story, but I wrote that, "Well, since you may be associated with The Freethought Society, I will have to say, no, I can't help you.She wrote back. "I'm not sure why you would say such a thing. Why would you be anti-freedom of someone's thought, Mr. Owens?"

Waiting for her reply.

Futher invesigation into the site revealed that she is a "big wig" on the site and society.

From her message on site: "In order to provide more services to the non-theist community...

So, it is a service to the non-theist community: interesting.

Edited by ~candice~

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Bondage and the Bible is a 60 minute independent film by Eric Harmon. This film includes the critical analysis of the Bible’s endorsement of slavery and examines the inconsistent message in the New Testament, which supports slavery and inequality.

Synopsis:

Bondage and the Bible tackles the controversial subject of African Americans who follow the bible as “the word of god” despite glaring passages that support and condone the institution of slavery. The film examines how Old Testament curses and commandments legitimizes slavery and how New Testament scriptures urge slaves to obey even the cruelest of masters. In addition, the film evaluates the psychological damage that ensues when African American people worship iconic images of a white god. Using actual bible scriptures and interviews with people ranging from biblical scholars to ordinary citizens, the film offers a diverse look at how the bible’s support of slavery allowed U.S. slave owners to pass on a religion to African Americans that guaranteed an inferior relationship to all things divine.

[underline mine]

Can you point me to the verses that say all slaves were black or point me to the verses tha say all masters were white?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Monarchy, I know it's tough, but sinners do what sinners do - and that includes atheism. I am considering the impact your cold-shoulder retaliatory reproach is having on her? I can imagine her thinking how you treated her supports her belief of Christianity as oppressive.

"Love your enemies, do good to them that spitefully use you, and pray for them."

I know it is hard, and it is humbling in a new way. But she needs to know the God who lowered Himself and gave Himself for her, not the one who who is an ogre.

You know?

Spend time with the Lord on this, asking Him for His heart. OK?

Prayers and blessings.

Monarchy, I know it's tough, but sinners do what sinners do - and that includes atheism. I am considering the impact your cold-shoulder retaliatory reproach is having on her? I can imagine her thinking how you treated her supports her belief of Christianity as oppressive.

"Love your enemies, do good to them that spitefully use you, and pray for them."

I know it is hard, and it is humbling in a new way. But she needs to know the God who lowered Himself and gave Himself for her, not the one who who is an ogre.

You know?

Spend time with the Lord on this, asking Him for His heart. OK?

Prayers and blessings.

You have the mind of the Lord, Neb, I do not scoff at what you said, I have stated that, in other words, I am like a coiled venous viper. It came from years upon years of protecting my heart from harm.

Can you point me to the verses that say all slaves were black or point me to the verses tha say all masters were white?

Acknowledged, I don't know,

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I have stated that, in other words, I am like a coiled venous viper. It came from years upon years of protecting my heart from harm.

I understand. Acknowledging the condition of your heart is half the battle.

Prayers for the healing of your heart.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Synopsis:

[underline mine]

There are no commandments to own slaves only law regulating it, where are the curses and commandments legalizing slavery? That is not how God ordained things, He did set standards and used those type of relationships to show right and wrong, to show His mercy and grace. Its funny I have never had any black, white, red or purple person say they could not believe in God because those in the bible had slaves, most come to understand the freedom in Him.

Man is corrupt beyond meaure theres no denying that, I guess I dont understand the thread.

shalom,

Mizz

There are no commandments to own slaves only law regulating it, where are the curses and commandments legalizing slavery? That is not how God ordained things, He did set standards and used those type of relationships to show right and wrong, to show His mercy and grace. Its funny I have never had any black, white, red or purple person say they could not believe in God because those in the bible had slaves, most come to understand the freedom in Him.

Man is corrupt beyond meaure theres no denying that, I guess I dont understand the thread.

Let's not go to the slave issue, my point is how they misconstrued the Bible, that was my point.

I am going to take a break from the board for awhile to think things over.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Synopsis:

[underline mine]

shalom,

Mizz

Actually, there have been several threads on this board where non-believers point to this issue and use it as an excuse (one of many) for their non belief, saying that God condoned slavery. Certainly it's always refuted, but it turns into a hot issue. Of course, any excuse will do.