MorningGlory

What's your M.O.?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drink diet soda daily?

• Yes
    • No
    • Occasionally
    • I don't drink anything else!
  2. 2. If you drink diet soda, can you do without it?

• Yes
    • No!
    • Sure, if I want to climb the wall....
  3. 3. How many diet sodas do you consume daily?

• 0-1
    • 2-4
    • 4-6
    • 6-Don't judge me!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  856
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/22/1997

Hey, i just finished a 3-part series on artificial sweetners - http://whatteensneedtoknowaboutfood.wordpress.com/

how fitting :D

They're like those folks who advocated those nasty and useless plastic handle tie bags in the grocery stores 30 years ago and now want everyone to go back to paper or far worse use those re-usable totes that are hiding place for vermin like roaches.

Those handle tie bags from grocery stores have a purpose. They fit an Ikea or other small trash can perfectly, and I haven't bought any "trash bags" in years . . . I just use the bags from the store. :) I don't waste my time with those tote bags since I've seen too many people have problems with them ripping out and dumping all their stuff all over the bus or train -- and there's the crud factor also if you don't wash them regularly.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Does it really matter what we eat or drink?? Seems like everyday something new comes out about something that was once good for you now being bad for you. Everything causes cancer or rots our bodies. Can't even drink tap water anymore becuase they say there are too many chemicals in it. Don't eat the veggies and fruits because they are sprayed with pesticides. Don't eat beef you will get mad cow disease.

There are studies about every little thing now.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Does it really matter what we eat or drink?? Seems like everyday something new comes out about something that was once good for you now being bad for you. Everything causes cancer or rots our bodies. Can't even drink tap water anymore becuase they say there are too many chemicals in it. Don't eat the veggies and fruits because they are sprayed with pesticides. Don't eat beef you will get mad cow disease.

Hold on there, jbirdeagle; let's not go totally negative, eh? :rolleyes:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hold on there, jbirdeagle; let's not go totally negative, eh? :rolleyes:

LOL

I just think it is funny that people spend money to research a better alternative only to have someone else spending money to prove that alternative is bad.

Guest shiloh357

If you don't mind spending $6 for a loaf of sprouted grain bread and $3 for a hydroponic tomato, you can get plenty of safe organic food at the local healthfood stores, LOL.

I don't worry about most of those adds. See, the pork people help pay for adds that criticize beef consumption and the chicken people run adds agasint the egg people and all that. The producers of sugar help to underwrite commercials agasint the makers of high fructose corn syrup and vice versa. Its all about commercial competitiion.

But the aspartame, that is for real. It really is bad for us.

They're like those folks who advocated those nasty and useless plastic handle tie bags in the grocery stores 30 years ago and now want everyone to go back to paper or far worse use those re-usable totes that are hiding place for vermin like roaches.

Those handle tie bags from grocery stores have a purpose. They fit an Ikea or other small trash can perfectly, and I haven't bought any "trash bags" in years . . . I just use the bags from the store. :) I don't waste my time with those tote bags since I've seen too many people have problems with them ripping out and dumping all their stuff all over the bus or train -- and there's the crud factor also if you don't wash them regularly.

The bags DO easily repurpose. I use them to line bathroom and garage small wastebaskets, to dump cat litter (just put one bag inside another and slide it over one end of the litter box and dump. No touching the litter.) and my kids use them to double bag used diapers. I'm for reusing everything that is possible to reuse but, like you, I don't like those tote things. I'm convinced they harbor bacteria too. Most stores have recycle bins for plastic bags now, regardless of what store they come from.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61

Could you name which chemical in soda pop is used as a preservative in fruits and vegetables? I am not aware that they use preservatives in fresh produce.

Please provide citations for that.

This is a list of all the ingredients that go into the various soft drinks

caffiene, brominated vegetable oil, citric acid, calcium disodium EDTA, sodium benzoate, carbonic acid, sulfur dioxide, Ascorbic acid, Phosphoric acid, Sodium Citrates, Monosodium citrate, Disodium citrate, Trisodium citrate, Citric acid, Sodium benzonate, Ester gum, Malic acid, erythorbic acid, gum arabic, glyceryl abietate, modified food starches, potassium sorbate, carbon dioxide, caramel coloring, Red 40 and other colors, Acacia gum, Annatto, Beta-Carotene, Blue #1, Calcium Carbonate,

Carbon dixiode is used in soft drinks but also used as a preservative to help extend the shelf life of fresh fruits and vegetables as well as control ripening times.

carbon dioxide------- permitted for postharvest use in modified and controlled atmosphere storage and packaging. For crops that tolerate treatment with elevated CO2 (15 %) suppression of decay and control of insect pests can be achieved

(go to “other postharvest treatments”) ) http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/7254.pdf

Phosphoric acid is used as a preservative by limiting the browning which is decay

Phosphoric acid----------Therefore, browning can be slowed by dipping products in mildly acidic food grade solutions acetic, ascorbic, citric, tartaric, fumaric or phosphoric acid http://www.ba.ars.usda.gov/hb66/146freshcutfruits.pdf

In the list above are a string of citrates, in which are synthetically made and used widely on fruits to retard decay as well as keep molds from developing. ( I lost the page from which I was reading, so I don’t have a citation on them.)

All above are used in soft drinks as well as on produce. Below are preservatives that are used on raw (fresh) fruits and vegetables. All of these below can be found at wikipedia.

Biphenyl. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .oranges, lemons, grapefruits

Orthophenyl phenol . . . . . . . . . oranges, lemons, grapefruits, other citrus fruits

Thiabendazole . . . . . . . . . . . . . oranges, lemons, grapefruits, other citrus fruits

Potassium Nitrite . . . . . . . . . . . . root vegetables http://www.wotzinurfood.com/e249.html

Sodium nitrite . . . . . . . . . . . . . root vegetables

Lactic acid (Synthetically made) . . fresh fruits and vegetables

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Could you name which chemical in soda pop is used as a preservative in fruits and vegetables? I am not aware that they use preservatives in fresh produce.

caffiene, brominated vegetable oil, citric acid, calcium disodium EDTA, sodium benzoate, carbonic acid, sulfur dioxide, Ascorbic acid, Phosphoric acid, Sodium Citrates, Monosodium citrate, Disodium citrate, Trisodium citrate, Citric acid, Sodium benzonate, Ester gum, Malic acid, erythorbic acid, gum arabic, glyceryl abietate, modified food starches, potassium sorbate, carbon dioxide, caramel coloring, Red 40 and other colors, Acacia gum, Annatto, Beta-Carotene, Blue #1, Calcium Carbonate,

Carbon dixiode is used in soft drinks but also used as a preservative to help extend the shelf life of fresh fruits and vegetables as well as control ripening times.

carbon dioxide------- permitted for postharvest use in modified and controlled atmosphere storage and packaging. For crops that tolerate treatment with elevated CO2 (15 %) suppression of decay and control of insect pests can be achieved

(go to “other postharvest treatments”) ) http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/7254.pdf

Phosphoric acid is used as a preservative by limiting the browning which is decay

Phosphoric acid----------Therefore, browning can be slowed by dipping products in mildly acidic food grade solutions acetic, ascorbic, citric, tartaric, fumaric or phosphoric acid http://www.ba.ars.usda.gov/hb66/146freshcutfruits.pdf

In the list above are a string of citrates, in which are synthetically made and used widely on fruits to retard decay as well as keep molds from developing. ( I lost the page from which I was reading, so I don’t have a citation on them.)

All above are used in soft drinks as well as on produce. Below are preservatives that are used on raw (fresh) fruits and vegetables. All of these below can be found at wikipedia.

Orthophenyl phenol . . . . . . . . . oranges, lemons, grapefruits, other citrus fruits

Thiabendazole . . . . . . . . . . . . . oranges, lemons, grapefruits, other citrus fruits

Potassium Nitrite . . . . . . . . . . . . root vegetables http://www.wotzinurfood.com/e249.html

The thing is it is processed on the surface, you don't consumed it in such great volume by drinking it. Yes it is bad to consume preservative, but the quantity in fruits/vegetables are minimal compare to what you consume in drinks.

Have you heard of rotating your poisons? It is a saying in China, since there are harmful chemical in nearly everything we eat these days, you should eat a bit of everything and not too much of anything so that your body could process the toxins you consume.

(go to “other postharvest treatments”) ) http://anrcatalog.uc...du/pdf/7254.pdf

Phosphoric acid----------Therefore, browning can be slowed by dipping products in mildly acidic food grade solutions acetic, ascorbic, citric, tartaric, fumaric or phosphoric acid http://www.ba.ars.us...shcutfruits.pdf

:o