~candice~

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Alright, this baffles me, so clue me in on what logic you are using.

I live in a country with compulsory voting and none of the candidates are suitable. None of the candidates meet all the requirements [anti abortion, anti gay marriage, chaplains in schools, etc]. I legally must vote for someone whose ideals are different to mine, I have no choice. So I look a little different at the value of my vote.

I also know that NOT voting [or in my case, donkey voting] is in essence a vote for the ruling party, and I think it can be a bit of a cop out to not vote [or donkey vote], claim that you are not supporting immorality, when in reality your lack of vote supports that same immorality anyway. See what I mean? If none of the candidates in the upcoming American election are suitable (and from what I've read, none of them really are) then refusing to vote at all (in essence a vote for the ruling party) can be worse than voting for the least immoral candidate.

Honestly confused! If you can vote but aren't, why?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

I also know that NOT voting [or in my case, donkey voting] is in essence a vote for the ruling party

This part may hold true for your country but not ours. A lack of voting does not mean a vote for the ruling party in the US.

However, I do feel that I have a responsibility to vote as best as I can. In the US, the right to vote is a privilege, almost a sacred one, one our country has shed blood over. Sometimes I will not vote for a lone local judge or school board official etc if I know nothing about that political race, but I do cast my votes in the elections that I am permitted to vote in. I also feel that if you dont vote you dont get to complain lol. I personally feel that I must vote even if neither one is worth voting for. A case of the lesser of two evils. After a brief moment in my youth, I no longer cast votes for unrealistic candidates either (unrealistic in that they do not have any chance of winning like write in candidates or third party candidates).

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Show me one place in scripture where God said it was a good idea for man to elect his own leadership and I will start voting. The only place I see God saying anything like this is to appoint servants who will serve food to the widows and needy in the church. All of the early church leadership were appointed by God through his Apostles and those they appointed to appoint others. I challenge anyone to show biblical evidence to support the common man voting in his leadership. Even Christ avoided man when he understood that they would take him by force and appoint him king. The mistake Israel made was desiring a king and rejecting God. I will not make such a mistake but will have Christ as my King.

Gary

I also know that NOT voting [or in my case, donkey voting] is in essence a vote for the ruling party

This part may hold true for your country but not ours. A lack of voting does not mean a vote for the ruling party in the US.

However, I do feel that I have a responsibility to vote as best as I can. In the US, the right to vote is a privilege, almost a sacred one, one our country has shed blood over. Sometimes I will not vote for a lone local judge or school board official etc if I know nothing about that political race, but I do cast my votes in the elections that I am permitted to vote in. I also feel that if you dont vote you dont get to complain lol. I personally feel that I must vote even if neither one is worth voting for. A case of the lesser of two evils. After a brief moment in my youth, I no longer cast votes for unrealistic candidates either (unrealistic in that they do not have any chance of winning like write in candidates or third party candidates).

Ahh...

Well maybe that explains it. But from here... if you don't vote, aren't there less people voting against Obama? That's what I am stuck on.

Show me one place in scripture where God said it was a good idea for man to elect his own leadership and I will start voting. The only place I see God saying anything like this is to appoint servants who will serve food to the widows and needy in the church. All of the early church leadership were appointed by God through his Apostles and those they appointed to appoint others. I challenge anyone to show biblical evidence to support the common man voting in his leadership. Even Christ avoided man when he understood that they would take him by force and appoint him king. The mistake Israel made was desiring a king and rejecting God. I will not make such a mistake but will have Christ as my King.

Gary

Hi Gary, I am not talking about appointing men to positions in the church. I'm talking about our secular government. I don't know of any scripture addressing secular government . Israel was wrong when they asked for a King because in doing so they wanted to be like the other nations at the expense of God's desire for them. We already have a secular government, and while the voting card is put before me I will vote according to the leading of the Spirit. If you have any scriptures you believe tells us not to vote I am interested in reading them.

God bless,

Andy

Gary

God put each governmental entity in place. Scripture says nothing about many things that we do daily, and yet, we still do them. This forum and the Internet is just one example. To say that we don't need to vote because the Bible does not specifically mention voting is ludicrous. In this country, our right to vote was paid for, in blood, just as our salvation was, so to treat that right with contempt is to also treat those who died to give us those rights with contempt as well. When you have the ability to influence whether you get Godly government or non-godly government, it's kind of stupid to blow off that ability by concocting some kind of holier-then-thou smoke screen as to why one does not vote. People wring their hand over the state of our country when many of them will not lift a finger when it comes to determining who runs the country. I find that both ironic and irresponsible.

thumbsup.gif

Seems I don't type fast enough.

Ahh...

Well maybe that explains it. But from here... if you don't vote, aren't there less people voting against Obama? That's what I am stuck on.

Not necessarily. What if your planned vote is for obama and you opt not to cast it? It only means there is less one vote for the direction you would wish the country to go in, whichever side that is. It means there is a chance the side you would have preferred not to win may win because you didnt vote. Thats all.

Alright, this baffles me, so clue me in on what logic you are using.

I live in a country with compulsory voting and none of the candidates are suitable. None of the candidates meet all the requirements [anti abortion, anti gay marriage, chaplains in schools, etc]. I legally must vote for someone whose ideals are different to mine, I have no choice. So I look a little different at the value of my vote.

I also know that NOT voting [or in my case, donkey voting] is in essence a vote for the ruling party, and I think it can be a bit of a cop out to not vote [or donkey vote], claim that you are not supporting immorality, when in reality your lack of vote supports that same immorality anyway. See what I mean? If none of the candidates in the upcoming American election are suitable (and from what I've read, none of them really are) then refusing to vote at all (in essence a vote for the ruling party) can be worse than voting for the least immoral candidate.

Honestly confused! If you can vote but aren't, why?

When the rubber meets the road, the only thing that matters is did you vote for Godly values, or un-godly values? If you voted for Godly value, but the candidate did not win, that is God's hand, not ours. We are still secure in our own personal choice, because we did the right thing. When one throws their values to the wind and votes for an ungodly candidate, then you have problems. God does not approve of that and no excuse will make it right or justify it. I personally cannot understand why someone would not vote, and conversely, cannot understand why someone would vote for a candidate, as a professing Christian that supports those things which God strictly forbids.

I used to think as some others do, that voting for someone who can't possibly win, even though they are the only ones who espouse true Christian values was simply helping the ungodly win. It finally dawned on me that what is more important, in every single case, is the spiritual condition of my heart, and not, ultimately, who is in charge of the country. If you lock yourself into the prevelent attitude, in this country, that you have to vote for either a Democrat or GOP candidate or the candidate you vote for has no chance of winning and you wasted your vote is distinctly the wrong view. That is personal compromise and that is exactly what they want. The two ruling classes in this country have counted on that compromise for decades so that they could stay in power. That power will never be broken as long as people think they only have two choices and that they are slaves to those two choices. The first choice is always to be true to ones self, and above all to be true to ones own Christian and Godly values.

Cobalt I don't have a choice, like I said. I have to vote, and none meet God's standard. What is there to do, but vote for the least immoral candidate? I do however think there is merit [for those with optional voting] in voting for the least immoral candidate if it helps topple someone more immoral. I would always vote for the moral first, regardless of what the outcome would be politically, but in the absence of such a person [and given the choice] I'd vote for the least immoral over not voting at all. I have always given serious prayer to my vote, many many many hours of research etc, and usually end up very disappointed at the options before me. But I never preference pro gay pro abortion candidates above anyone who opposes those things... sometimes this means I find the fiscal policy of the candidate I vote for to be terrible :( but I'd rather be broke.

Ahh...

Not necessarily. What if your planned vote is for obama and you opt not to cast it? It only means there is less one vote for the direction you would wish the country to go in, whichever side that is. It means there is a chance the side you would have preferred not to win may win because you didnt vote. Thats all.

I'm addressing this to the majority here who oppose Obama. Unless you think there are alternatives worse than Obama? Carter isn't on the ballot cool.gif.

I used to think as some others do, that voting for someone who can't possibly win, even though they are the only ones who espouse true Christian values was simply helping the ungodly win. It finally dawned on me that what is more important, in every single case, is the spiritual condition of my heart, and not, ultimately, who is in charge of the country. If you lock yourself into the prevelent attitude, in this country, that you have to vote for either a Democrat or GOP candidate or the candidate you vote for has no chance of winning and you wasted your vote is distinctly the wrong view. That is personal compromise and that is exactly what they want. The two ruling classes in this country have counted on that compromise for decades so that they could stay in power. That power will never be broken as long as people think they only have two choices and that they are slaves to those two choices. The first choice is always to be true to ones self, and above all to be true to ones own Christian and Godly values.

Maybe I have a different perspective because of a local senatorial/congressional race long ago in Arizona. A candidate I did not remotely like "Smith" was running and not that likely to win. Another candidate "Jones" was likely to win. Neither one was that great in my view, but Smith was the worst. A third independent candidate decided to run "Zimmerman". Zimmerman got many votes, almost a third, but not enough to win. He instead got a majority of the votes that would otherwise have gone to Jones. So we got stuck with Smith as the elected official. Who ended up doing harm.

I was one who voted for Zimmerman and later realized the potential for harm in voting for a third party/independent. I was stubborn and tried it again in a presidential race. That turned out to be a wasted vote. Currently, my country's welfare is too precious to waste on a third party vote. I will be voting against obama by voting republican this fall. That is what my conscience tells me to do.