• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  730
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/13/1993

You are overlooking the anger towards Obama.

Will that make a difference? Just look at how many on this website are willing to not vote for the republican nominee if it turns out to be romney even tho it means obama will end up being elected.

You also have to consider that this was basically the strategy the Dems tried to use in 04 against Bush. Although Bush wasn't exactly popular Kerry's less than stellar candidacy allowed him to pull a relatively large win in the general election.

Guest Butero

Will that make a difference? Just look at how many on this website are willing to not vote for the republican nominee if it turns out to be romney even tho it means obama will end up being elected.

You also have to consider that this was basically the strategy the Dems tried to use in 04 against Bush. Although Bush wasn't exactly popular Kerry's less than stellar candidacy allowed him to pull a relatively large win in the general election.

Bush barely defeated Kerry, in spite of Kerry's problems. Ohio made the difference, and it was by the narrowest of margins. In 2004, we weren't dealing with Obamacare, unemployment figures like we have today, and the debt crisis we now have. We did have a debt, but not anywhere close to what Obama has taken it to.

I know there are some evangelicals that won't vote for a Mormon, but this election will be won or lost based on Independent voters. They went for Obama in 2008, but there is a good chance they won't this time? I am going to try to look at this objectively, rather than as a right wing Republican. I am now a moderate who voted for Bush in 2004 because of fear of terrorism, and Obama in 2008 because I thought we needed a new direction? Now it is 2012, and I see that Obama has failed to deliver on the promises he made. I am faced with either Obama or Romney? I don't like either, but I have no core convictions. To me, we gave Obama a chance, and he failed. It is time to make another change, so I vote for Romney. In 2016, if Romney fails, I look to remove him and possibly vote for Hillary, which is a distinct possibility.

If I had to guess what is going to happen, I think that Romney wins the next election. He is Mr. Moderate, and angers conservatives. There is no Obama to fire up the base, and the economy is still struggling along. Along comes Hillary, and she wins in 2016. I don't want this to happen, but it is what I expect to happen. What I am hoping will happen is that there is a brokered convention, and Romney is denied the Presidency. I really like Rick Santorum, and I do think any generic Republican can beat Obama this year, but I am looking ahead, knowing we will face Hillary in 4 years if we win. We need someone who can not only win now, but in 4 years. We need the party to bring in someone stronger to save the day. I had hoped that person would be Rick Perry, but he made too many mistakes when he entered the race. Like it or not, the strongest person we could run this year would be Jeb Bush. If there was some way to give him the nomination, that is our best hope of not only defeating Obama, but holding the White House for 8 years. He would need to run with someone like Rubio to set him up as the successor.

Looking at this as a purist, Santorum is my guy. If he can win now and in 4 years, I would be thrilled. It would be the best 8 years since Reagan was President as far as the direction of the nation, but can he do it? Defeating a weak candidate like Obama is very possible, but what about Hillary in 4 years? It is like in chess. You have to look, not only as what will happen when you make one move, but possible outcomes over the next 3 or 4 moves. We need long term conservative leadership to undo the damage that has already been done.

By the way, it appears Santorum has just won the Louisiana Primary. Romney is not a lock.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Looking at this as a purist, Santorum is my guy. If he can win now and in 4 years, I would be thrilled. It would be the best 8 years since Reagan was President as far as the direction of the nation, but can he do it? Defeating a weak candidate like Obama is very possible, but what about Hillary in 4 years? It is like in chess. You have to look, not only as what will happen when you make one move, but possible outcomes over the next 3 or 4 moves. We need long term conservative leadership to undo the damage that has already been done.

By the way, it appears Santorum has just won the Louisiana Primary. Romney is not a lock.

Totally agree, Butero, and I'm tickled that Santorum has won in Louisiana. I predict he will win Texas as well. The only thing I want to point out is that Obama is not as weak as some believe; it's going to take a firebrand to defeat him. And that's NOT Romney. Praying for Rick Santorum to be the nominee. ;)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  730
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/13/1993

If I had to guess what is going to happen, I think that Romney wins the next election. He is Mr. Moderate, and angers conservatives. There is no Obama to fire up the base, and the economy is still struggling along. Along comes Hillary, and she wins in 2016. I don't want this to happen, but it is what I expect to happen. What I am hoping will happen is that there is a brokered convention, and Romney is denied the Presidency. I really like Rick Santorum, and I do think any generic Republican can beat Obama this year, but I am looking ahead, knowing we will face Hillary in 4 years if we win. We need someone who can not only win now, but in 4 years. We need the party to bring in someone stronger to save the day. I had hoped that person would be Rick Perry, but he made too many mistakes when he entered the race. Like it or not, the strongest person we could run this year would be Jeb Bush. If there was some way to give him the nomination, that is our best hope of not only defeating Obama, but holding the White House for 8 years. He would need to run with someone like Rubio to set him up as the successor.

Personally, I think that Obama will win barely over Romney. As a moderate, I don't care for Romney's flip flopping on the issues and I don't think many other people will. However, a lot will depend on what gas prices do this summer, combined with Syria, a new leader in North Korea and Obamacare in the SC. Any of those factors could drastically change the election.

Regardless of my political beliefs, I think the ideal Republican candidate is my own state governor, Mitch Daniels. He has kept Indiana's economy running relatively smoothly and has maintained low taxes. His cutting substantial amounts from education has not earned him any brownie points from me (but I'm in high school so go figure :)). However, I believe he would make a solid contender as a relatively moderate but solid conservative.

Of the current people in the field, I would take a Ron Paul and tone him down by about 30% lol. His ideas and Libertarianism are good in my book but he seems like he wants to take us back to the 19th century. Not necessarily a bad thing in all regards but worrisome in my opinion.

Guest Butero

Totally agree, Butero, and I'm tickled that Santorum has won in Louisiana. I predict he will win Texas as well. The only thing I want to point out is that Obama is not as weak as some believe; it's going to take a firebrand to defeat him. And that's NOT Romney. Praying for Rick Santorum to be the nominee. ;)

With the economy in the shape it is in, and past comments by Obama about how his energy policy would increase energy cost for Americans, anyone should be able to beat Obama. They just need to run a half way decent campaign. Obama is even on tape admitting he is in support of a single payer health care system, and that Obamacare is a stepping stone towards it. If they need to find those Obama comments, they need only turn to Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin. They have played them on their show. It would be easy to turn them into campaign ads.

Guest Butero

Personally, I think that Obama will win barely over Romney. As a moderate, I don't care for Romney's flip flopping on the issues and I don't think many other people will. However, a lot will depend on what gas prices do this summer, combined with Syria, a new leader in North Korea and Obamacare in the SC. Any of those factors could drastically change the election.

Regardless of my political beliefs, I think the ideal Republican candidate is my own state governor, Mitch Daniels. He has kept Indiana's economy running relatively smoothly and has maintained low taxes. His cutting substantial amounts from education has not earned him any brownie points from me (but I'm in high school so go figure :)). However, I believe he would make a solid contender as a relatively moderate but solid conservative.

Of the current people in the field, I would take a Ron Paul and tone him down by about 30% lol. His ideas and Libertarianism are good in my book but he seems like he wants to take us back to the 19th century. Not necessarily a bad thing in all regards but worrisome in my opinion.

The problem is, you can't turn Ron Paul down that 30 percent. He is who he is. I have nothing against Mitch Daniels, and I think he would be ok as President. Even so, Santorum would be my ideal candidate if he had a more charasmatic personality like Reagan did. I agree with him on nearly all of the issues.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

The only thing I want to point out is that Obama is not as weak as some believe; it's going to take a firebrand to defeat him. And that's NOT Romney.

I dont think santorum can pull it off in the national election. He has made too many blunders, trivial things granted, but still things that upset folks. Like telling puerto rico they need to make english the official language. He lost puerto ricos vote there.

I hate it but I think we are stuck with obama for the next 4 yrs.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Of the current people in the field, I would take a Ron Paul and tone him down by about 30% lol.

Ron Paul just lacks presence. Like it or not, presence is everything in politics too.

Guest Butero

The only thing I want to point out is that Obama is not as weak as some believe; it's going to take a firebrand to defeat him. And that's NOT Romney.

I dont think santorum can pull it off in the national election. He has made too many blunders, trivial things granted, but still things that upset folks. Like telling puerto rico they need to make english the official language. He lost puerto ricos vote there.

I hate it but I think we are stuck with obama for the next 4 yrs.

America should have an official language, and it should be English. That should apply to Puerto Rico too should they become a state. Since they aren't a state, they have no vote in the general election. They really shouldn't have a vote in the GOP primary.

As for blunders, Obama and Biden have made quite a few of their own. Everyone does. Obama is the guy who told us there are 60 states in the union, and that he visited 57 of them. He called Cinco De Mayo, Cinco De Quatro. He told a group of people on Memorial Day that he saw fallen soldiers in his audience. If blunders kept someone from being President, Obama would have gone down in flames.

To conclude: I celebrated my 59th birthday yesterday - I've had years and years of watching and participating in US elections - since 1972, in fact. (and that vote was for Nixon - look how THAT turned out :24: )....

Happy Birthday~!