IGNORED

Prayer

Mark2005

Does prayer make a difference?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever get answers to prayers?

• Yes, often
    • Yes, occasionally
    • No, never get answers
  2. 2. How often do you pray?

• Almost never
    • Occasionally (once a week/once a month)
    • Regularly (daily or several times a week)
    • Without ceasing

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  08/27/1966

Thanks, everyone. That is fabulous to hear that some people do get answers.

I realize there is no magic formula to getting answers. Just encouraging to see that some people do get responses.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

I can't vote in the poll, so I'll just answer here.

I never pray anymore. When I did, I never got an answer, either through words, actions, or events. Eventually, I just stopped asking and started looking out for myself. And then I sold my soul to Satan. I'm not trying to be cute or sarcastic. I had a moment of sheer rage, after which I decided that I'd had enough and made a bargain with the devil. I'd already stopped believing when I made this supposed bargain, so I'm not entirely sure why I did it or why I thought it would work. I suppose I was just desperate and would try anything at that point...

How in the world would you expect God to hear or answer your prayers as a non-believer? You're here, so I assume that things aren't working out so well between you and the devil. There won't be any atheists in hell. They'll all be believers, but it will be too late. This life is short and uncertain. Not one of us knows whether we will be alive tomorrow. If you die in your sins without Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, it will be TOO LATE.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  366
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

Wondering a bit about prayers.

Has anyone here ever received a specific answer to prayer, be it help making an important decision or something happening that you could not do of your own?

Also, what sort of issues do you pray about? And how often do you pray?

Yes, God has answered my prayers many many times, i dont keep count on what He answers. i pray for Christians around the world that are being treated as second class people. I pray for my family and i pray for protection and pray that i will get Raptured and be worthy to escape all that is to come upon this earth. i pray that people get saved, i pray that i will learn when i read the Scriptures (including Bible Numerics in the KJV).

Alot of time i pray in my heart, when i have some situation i'm comforted that God can read my thoughts. But when i pray "i go to my closet" where no one else can interfere with my prayers. i pray to thank God for my food too.

Also i lean not on my own understanding, trusting the Lord that all things will work out for good.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I get answers to my prayers. Not always the answers I want, and sometimes the answers take a LONG time to get...but there are other prayers I've prayed when the answer was given the same day. There is nothing I do not pray about, infact, I've prayed about some pretty crazy things in times past!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

How in the world would you expect God to hear or answer your prayers as a non-believer? You're here, so I assume that things aren't working out so well between you and the devil. There won't be any atheists in hell. They'll all be believers, but it will be too late. This life is short and uncertain. Not one of us knows whether we will be alive tomorrow. If you die in your sins without Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, it will be TOO LATE.

I once was a Christian, more or less. I "believed", but there were no emotions attached to this belief, and thus it was by no means strong. I simply accepted the notion, having not known any other alternative at the time.

Are you implying that God is incapable of hearing or answering prayers unless the prayee believes in him? Wouldn't God be more inclined to answer the prayers of those who have some doubt in order to strengthen their faith?

For the most part, I prayed for my father to stop being an abusive tyrant and either be kind to us or leave us alone. Or for my mother to "get wise" and leave him. Or that I could live somewhere else. Or that he'd die. They became increasingly more hostile as time progressed. When I "sold my soul" ... I suppose it was the same as praying, only to Satan and with the realization that I was losing something supposedly valuable ... I made a somewhat vague request that my father must either completely redeem himself by being unconditionally kind to us without fail, or I would be free of his abuse and he would live in misery, consumed by hatred at my success. I am almost certain (and I only say "almost" because one can never be completely certain about anything) that my father sending me away a few months later was a happy coincidence. But it was certainly odd... As for my relationship with this character, I don't believe there is a devil. So my feelings toward him would be akin to my feelings toward my schizophrenic friend's hallucinations. Assuming he does exist and this incident was his handiwork... I appreciate his help.

You're having a hard time in trying to decide what you believe. You weren't a Christian or you would still be one. Maybe you went to church, but that doesn't make you a Christian. That would be like standing in a garage and saying that you're a car. Becoming a Christian is a once in a lifetime event, and it's for Eternity. You stated that you made bargains with the devil, and now you say that you don't believe there is a devil. There is no almost Christian - you either are or you're not. Obviously, God isn't going to answer prayers you made to the devil. Bluntly, it sounds like your life is a mess and you really need Jesus Christ in your life. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. I suggest that you go back to church. In the meantime, I think it would be great for you to read the beautiful book of John in the Holy Bible.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

I realize there is no magic formula to getting answers.

Mark the secret formula is:

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. (James 5:16)

To get answered prayer, one must work toward actual (not imputed) righteousness.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  08/27/1966

Eh, some of the most righteous people I have known didn't get their prayers answered. So I don't think it works on the brownie points system. I sure wish it did. :)

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Wondering a bit about prayers.

Has anyone here ever received a specific answer to prayer, be it help making an important decision or something happening that you could not do of your own?

Also, what sort of issues do you pray about? And how often do you pray?

Prayer is for one thing and that is direct communication with God, we don’t pray to get things from God we pray in communication with God. Prayer doesn’t change things, in prayer we change and then we change things.

I hear people all the time say, well God just doesn’t listen to me, He doent love me, because He didn’t answer my prayer and they go away dishearten because God didn’t pay any attention to them. What these do not understand is … by prayer God changes us and then we change our situation.

For example -- One may pray -- Lord I need a job, please give me a job, but if one just sits and waits for that job to come knocking at the door likely it isn’t going to happen. But if one pay Lord help me find that job and then go and seek in earnest -- it will come about no matter who you are because one will create his own environment with the inspiration of God communicating into you the way to go about it.

Prayer is a life in Christ and if Christ be in you, same Spirit in you who was in Christ Jesus, then you cant help but pray without ceasing. You walk as He walks.

Joe

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  366
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

Eh, some of the most righteous people I have known didn't get their prayers answered. So I don't think it works on the brownie points system. I sure wish it did. :)

Well some people celebrate later on that they didn't get their prayers answered. God knows the future so not getting a new sports car could be a good thing if you did get it and have a crash that injures you.

Why should God grant every prayer and just say "Yes" to anything we ask Him? By God saying no to a prayer means that He is God and needs to be respected, trusted and obeyed. God even tells us how to pray in the Lord's Prayer.

Matthew 6:

5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

10 Thy KINGDOM come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

11 Give us this day our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the KINGDOM, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

But do Christians pray like the above?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

righteous by what standard? God cannot lie. Go back and read the scripture again and decide if you still want to call God a liar.

Gary