Rainy

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  216
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1

I know why people say God Bless you or Bless you once you have sneezed. But why do you and those people say God Bless You or God Bless when saying Goodbye? Is it right to say it?

What are your thoughts?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

I know why people say God Bless you or Bless you once you have sneezed. But why do you and those people say God Bless You or God Bless when saying Goodbye? Is it right to say it?

What are your thoughts?

It is truly the right thing to do. We should always speak Gods blessing upon others and never curse anyone. As James said, bless we God but curse we men. When someone is leaving the care of your home or your company it is only natural to bless them with the best that God has to offer. When a man is getting read to go the way of all the earth, it is when he gives his final blessing unto his children. It is the ultimate goodbye and therefore all blessing passed on to his posterity.

So as we part ways here in this thread, may God bless you and keep you from evil!

Gary

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

We have the wonderful ability in Christ to declare blessing on others. I don't particularly care for those who just say it as a habitual greeting or goodbye. When I say it, I mean it and I actually do it. Of course I don't say it when people sneeze, as it is an old world superstitious throwback.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Actually...

The old child's nursery rhyme?

Ring a ring of rosies a pocket full of posies, atishoo, atishoo, we all fall down?

The rosies were on the skin, the posies were to ward off the germs and the sneezing happened just before you fell down and died.

From the plague, the black death.

Hence, atishoo, God Bless you (hope it's not the plague...)

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

If said with heartfelt meaning and the love of Jesus, then we say it because his blessing is valuable. If said as habit, it is more a superstition. I suspect, in most cases it is the latter.

What really interests me is why we say God bless you. Which god do we mean? 'God' is not a name. Our god has actual names and we are told that no name is above the name of Jesus. Should we bless in his name or another of Yahweh's names or with the vague and misinterpretable term 'god'?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/22/1984

If said with heartfelt meaning and the love of Jesus, then we say it because his blessing is valuable. If said as habit, it is more a superstition. I suspect, in most cases it is the latter.

What really interests me is why we say God bless you. Which god do we mean? 'God' is not a name. Our god has actual names and we are told that no name is above the name of Jesus. Should we bless in his name or another of Yahweh's names or with the vague and misinterpretable term 'god'?

God would do, I believe...

As for the sneezing it comes right from ancient Greece. It was believed that when you sneeze soul can escape from the body. In fact you anglosaxon say God bless you that is an extension of "bless You"l. In Italy we say "Salute" that translates as "Health" and was the original meaning.

But if I had a lightsaber I'd say "May the Lord be with you" :whistling:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/20/1946

What are your thoughts?

During the Medieval times, people believed your soul was inside your head and when you sneezed, bits of your soul was being expelled through your nose. During the plague in Europe, chronic sneezing was a symptom of the plague just before death. The Pope ordered that all the healthy people pray for the sick and if someone sneezed, he ordered them to say, "God bless you." immediately.