• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/16/1969

I'll place this under 'Doctrinal Questions' Welllll....since becoming a Christian (Junior High 1985) I have always been seeking God's will in my life. In my old church I used to serve as Liturgist and took part in the Last Supper drama. Each time someone would comment to me, "You should be a pastor." I gave it no thought and went on to earn a BA in history and now work for the Post Office. Needless to say the Post Office is in poor shape and the future is bleak. I spoke at a church here some time ago and another pastor caught wind of my "speech/sermon" and has now asked me to speak at his church on Memorial Day Sunday. This past Sunday (4/29) I spoke at my new church (Lincoln Chapel - United Methodist Church) and, once again, at the end of the service people made comments to me...one said, "Have you thought of becoming a pastor? God has given you a gift!" I have been asking God lately to use me as He wants in His service. Now I'm praying for His answer in this direction. I have been told that since I already have a BA degree it wouldn't be hard to become ordained. I would be honored to think that He would use me to further His kingdom in this manner and humbled. Any ideas?? Please pray for me concerning this decision. It is certainly not one I am taking lightly.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

What does your church, the elders and pastor say?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Mt 9:37 - 38

Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest indeed is plenteous, but the LABORERS are few.

Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he send forth LABORERS into his harvest.

I wishI could speak to a large group but i freeze up in those situations.

Sounds like you would do well, and Im sure he lord would bless you.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/23/1971

Good for you Fire :).......................I am praying for you............................I have a little advice for you; look into the United Methodist church - I am, as you know a UM, however, I won't be for very long. One problem is female pastors, another is they are trying to change the book of disciple on same sex marriages and allowing pastors to serve while in a same sex marriage or relationship and to marry same sex couples. Also, I just got an announcement appointment for a pastor and he is also a Free Mason. This announcement was sent from the bishop - how could the UM allow all of this, and I am sure there is more than I know.

Wonders if I should be posting this :whistling:

Peace and Grace (please)

Jane :)

ohhhh boy - here goes :taped:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Hi FF,

What Fez said...there are many ways we can serve in the Body, and usually ones gifting becomes evident, but gifting alone is not the

criteria by which ones calling is made evident, nor is theological aptitude, academic qualifications or speaking ability.

.... I have been asking God lately to use me as He wants in His service. Now I'm praying for His answer in this direction. I have been told that since I already have a BA degree it wouldn't be hard to become ordained. I would be honored to think that He would use me to further His kingdom in this manner and humbled. Any ideas?? Please pray for me concerning this decision. It is certainly not one I am taking lightly....

Amen~!

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

Praying~!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/15/1959

I'll place this under 'Doctrinal Questions' Welllll....since becoming a Christian (Junior High 1985) I have always been seeking God's will in my life. In my old church I used to serve as Liturgist and took part in the Last Supper drama. Each time someone would comment to me, "You should be a pastor." I gave it no thought and went on to earn a BA in history and now work for the Post Office. Needless to say the Post Office is in poor shape and the future is bleak. I spoke at a church here some time ago and another pastor caught wind of my "speech/sermon" and has now asked me to speak at his church on Memorial Day Sunday. This past Sunday (4/29) I spoke at my new church (Lincoln Chapel - United Methodist Church) and, once again, at the end of the service people made comments to me...one said, "Have you thought of becoming a pastor? God has given you a gift!" I have been asking God lately to use me as He wants in His service. Now I'm praying for His answer in this direction. I have been told that since I already have a BA degree it wouldn't be hard to become ordained. I would be honored to think that He would use me to further His kingdom in this manner and humbled. Any ideas?? Please pray for me concerning this decision. It is certainly not one I am taking lightly.

It matters what God has spoken to you. I realize he can speak through people and does. Yet, I wonder if he has spoken to you directly? Have you a passion in your heart to serve the body of Christ? Have you a gifting that connects you to the body of Christ to teach, lead, correct, feed, confront, guide and help them? Do you also have a willingness to be hurt, maligned, slandered, spoken against, misunderstood, misrepresented, denied and even rejected by the people you seek to serve? A drama and a few sermons does not a pastoral calling make. A few folks that like your preaching is no indicator of a calling. Jim Jones, Rev Moon, Joseph Smith had folks that liked their sermons yet they were enemies to the faith.

Has it been your custom to find ways to teach? Has it been your custom to seek ways to serve and mature other believers? Has it been your custom to connect with other believers to seek them out, know them, grow them, bless them, give to them? Being a pastor is a people-position it means that God is sending you to oversee and care for his chosen flock. Has God sent you to the flock? Or do you feel like going to the flock because some of the flock are appreciative of you?

There is a huge difference between going because you're liked and going because God sent you. You'll have to know the difference and decide whether or not God has called you.

Whatever your decision, God has a chosen calling for you, be pleased to find out what that is and honor God in it.

R.E.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

There are several ways that God will speak to a person. Seek confirmation from the Lord in these matters.:thumbsup:

I too am in the process of becoming Ordained in my Denomination. I started out just merely listening to the Lord and took some adult courses for a local ministers license in my Denomination.Of course I sought elders and the Pastors counsel first. I found out once I got there that it was indeed Gods will. I am now on track to being Ordained. I may not even be a Pastor but more of an Evangelist. However, for some reason God is leading me to be Ordained and it is confirmed by several sources.

I am in the Wesleyan Denomination. We have in house courses from our Denomination for adult ministerial students. Most denominations do. I too have been gifted to speak and was being used as an Evangelist in a live action in the streets Homeless Ministry in Washington, D.C. for some time. I began to see a huge impact and knew it was another confirmation. It was a training step in the process.

God will confirm your feelings and others words if they are truly from Him.

I had no thought of being Ordained and I thought I knew what Gods plan was but sometimes we don't know all of the details up front, just the big picture. We have to walk by faith and lay hold of the next opportunity or open door as it comes. :wub:

As Botz and Fez have said, seek the confrimation of the authorities and confidants that you have in Christ. Also seek His will through fasting and prayer. He will confirm for you whether or not it is His will.

John Wesley used to pray with like minded folks, (other Holiness Methodists) fast, pray, and even cast lots for Gods will.:thumbsup:

Peace,

Dave

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

Hi FF,

What Fez said...there are many ways we can serve in the Body, and usually ones gifting becomes evident, but gifting alone is not the

criteria by which ones calling is made evident, nor is theological aptitude, academic qualifications or speaking ability.

Amen to that, Botz. I genuinely believe that God has given me the gift of teaching/ word of knowledge. I however do not see a spark of pastoral aptitude in myself. lol, I'm a horrible leader, not very much a people person, maybe the weakest prayer warrior on the entire planet, so I myself am confused on my calling as well. Being knowledgeable about scripture is nowhere near enough to be a leader of God's people. Having watched my Father and Brother (both Elders) lead Churches, I know for a fact I do not qualify for that office. I am not confused on my gift though, and thank God for his grace in imparting it to me. I'll use it in whatever capacity he leads me to, and in whatever position in life I am found. I can do my part to help the body. FF, you are getting some wise advice in this thread. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  08/27/1966

It's a hard call, no doubt, as is any career decision. I have always encouraged people to follow their hearts.

However, I can think of few vocations in which persons sacrifice more for so little material gain. I've known several people in full-time ministry, either as pastors or in other capacities. Most had the equivalent of a master's degree or higher. Many started out as interns making little or no money, worked long hours, sacrificed time with family and friends and often felt unappreciated. One pastor told me that a senior pastor had warned him "If you can do anything else and be happy, do it."

It's important to remember there is far more to being a pastor than preaching a 40-minute sermon on Sunday. Most pastors rarely preach. They work on administrative stuff, lead small groups or have a dedicated ministry (youth, seniors, kids, etc.) Even a lead pastor spends the better part of his week preparing a message, reading and studying the work of others in hopes of gaining various insights. The delivery -- how ever smooth or choppy --- is just the finished product.

In short, if this is a desire of your heart, go for it. But just keep in mind it is a job like anything else.

For many years I worked in a field where lots of people envied my work, said they would love to do that. Of course, they rarely saw the sacrifices I made, either. Rarely are things as glamorous as they seem.