IGNORED

Navy SEAL of God? Are Christians suppose to be pacifistic?

steven84

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

You are right Dennis, there are many Christians serving in the US military, actually about 70%. I wish it were more like 100%, but since it is unlawful to proselytize while in uniform, it's very difficult to bring that number up.

I just talked to a friend stationed at Ft Lewis, WA in the medical corp. In passing he mentioned there are very few Christians in the Army. I asked him what %, and he said less than 1% in his estimation. I asked how he got that amount. He said that was the amount that went to services at churches on Sundays. It was always over several yrs, he has been in for 14yrs, the same people. Very few new people. He served in Iraq and Afghanistan. He also said there are many more Muslims in the military than Christians. He could not say what percent. How you come up with such a huge difference is beyond me. Real Christians are a small minority in the world today and have always been a small minority.

Your friend is dead wrong, Justin is right (70%), believe me when I say God is no stranger in the war zone. Plus out of the four companies I was mostly involved with while I was in Iraq, I only know of one muslim soldier.

Oh and there is that four letter word again "real". What mortal has the power to say who is and who isn't a "real" Christian? Who other then Jesus Christ can make that call?

50% of the world says they are Christian. Just because someone says they are Christian does not make it so. Jesus described what a real believer is and Paul and the rest of the NT describe what it is to be a believer in Jesus Christ. there are over a billion Roman Catholics and all that believe in the priests as mediators have no idea what it means to follow Jesus. The battlefield makes believers out of almost all men and when they come home the never give it a thought. Yes I used the term "real" and I hold to it. My friend was primarily talking about on base here in US. I did not solicit this info, he was just talking about life at Ft. Lewis WA. And my friend is alive and not dead as he does believe in the Lord. He was talking to me about some of his concerns and asked for prayer along those line. I don't buy the 70%. It just doesn't fit with scripture.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

Gee! It's been awhile since I was last on this thread, I'm a little saddened over the course of the conversation and the apparent drop of "real Christians" in the military. All I know is that while I served many young and old men believe in God and many did go to church on base and those who didn't when to church with their families off base. Now I got out in 1978 and from what I understand I guess the number of church going service personnel started dropping during the mid 70's and later. I do not know of sure how many God fearing men and women serve in our military today, nor do a recall ever seeing a section of the UCMJ that outlawed sharing one's Faith with a fellow service member while I was performing my duties for God and country. However, I do know that while I was, there were a number of "real Christians" who spent a lot of time showing the people around them what it meant to be a Christian by their actions and not their words.

I admit, Vietnam put a big dent in my fellowship with Christ at the time, partly because of the horrors I had seen man do to man while there, but, mostly returning home to a country that called me "a baby killer", and the sense of False Guilt it placed upon my heart. Some of those people that called me that were "upstanding church going folks" back here in the good old USA.Then some preacher here in the USA insulted my then new wife about her pant suite and rimed me out for not being a man of the household. Baby killer was also a phase that my former wife like to use to distract my attention during an argument. I wondered away from the Lord after that, yet, by His Grace He reached down a saved me Mar 4, 1987... Yea, not all folks who call themselves christian act much like it, yet, I for one can not look into their hearts and understand what the Lord Jesus knows about them.

I will join those who may be praying that upstanding "real Christian men" would feel the call to serve their country again, for, no country remains such without the guidance of the one True God.

ICL~~~Dennis

PS..A report of PROSELYTIZING IN THE U.S. MILITARY

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=unlawful%20to%20proselytize%20while%20in%20uniform&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CFUQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.instituteforscienceandhumanvalues.net%2Fpdf%2FPosition%2520Paper%2520ver4.pdf&ei=GIX2T-T_OcWT6gHS-KDQBg&usg=AFQjCNG9-DAq9l3lKHyde7DftdzLxDrHQw

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  1,246
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  5

there are real christians in the military. a minority in the army but they are there.

Gee! It's been awhile since I was last on this thread, I'm a little saddened over the course of the conversation and the apparent drop of "real Christians" in the military. All I know is that while I served many young and old men believe in God and many did go to church on base and those who didn't when to church with their families off base. Now I got out in 1978 and from what I understand I guess the number of church going service personnel started dropping during the mid 70's and later. I do not know of sure how many God fearing men and women serve in our military today, nor do a recall ever seeing a section of the UCMJ that outlawed sharing one's Faith with a fellow service member while I was performing my duties for God and country. However, I do know that while I was, there were a number of "real Christians" who spent a lot of time showing the people around them what it meant to be a Christian by their actions and not their words.

I admit, Vietnam put a big dent in my fellowship with Christ at the time, partly because of the horrors I had seen man do to man while there, but, mostly returning home to a country that called me "a baby killer", and the sense of False Guilt it placed upon my heart. Some of those people that called me that were "upstanding church going folks" back here in the good old USA.Then some preacher here in the USA insulted my then new wife about her pant suite and rimed me out for not being a man of the household. Baby killer was also a phase that my former wife like to use to distract my attention during an argument. I wondered away from the Lord after that, yet, by His Grace He reached down a saved me Mar 4, 1987... Yea, not all folks who call themselves christian act much like it, yet, I for one can not look into their hearts and understand what the Lord Jesus knows about them.

I will join those who may be praying that upstanding "real Christian men" would feel the call to serve their country again, for, no country remains such without the guidance of the one True God.

ICL~~~Dennis

http://www.google.co...de7DftdzLxDrHQw

Hi Dennis,

There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus. I rejoice that God did reach down and save you in '87. He finds ALL His sheep, and doesn't loose any.

The world has changed a great deal since Nam. Men went to war thinking they were serving their country but in reality they were serving the interests of the global elite. Gulf of Tonkin incident never happened and many men were killed in order to further the agenda of the global elite. For this nation to be blessed of God will not take Christians serving their country but serving Jesus Christ. Christians will need to HUMBLE THEMSELVES, pray, and seek God's face, TURN FROM THEIR WICKED WAYS, and God will hear and heal the land. Only God can change the course of this nation for the heart of the king is in His hand. Having an entire army composed of "Christians" will not change things unless the humbling occurs first.

LT

there are real christians in the military. a minority in the army but they are there.

A fully agree and hope those that are there will serve the King of Kings.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

ICL~~~Dennis

http://www.google.co...de7DftdzLxDrHQw

And that is the bottom line (almost literally :laugh: ), No mortal man can judge if a person is a "real Christian" or not, for no man can see into the hearts of men, only God can do that.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/24/1976

i am verrry confused on this topic as well... i have no idea what is right or wrong on this one ... i mean i guess all i can do is pray about it and trust God to send someone that has the right ansr to me ...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/24/1976

i am verrry confused on this topic as well... i have no idea what is right or wrong on this one ... i mean i guess all i can do is pray about it and trust God to send someone that has the right ansr to me ...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  6

Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God."

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God."

This is all so true, but sometimes unfortunately war is needed to bring about peace.

Ecclesiastes 3:8

a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.