• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/26/1990

I'm aware it's a key part of the US constitution but what are everyone's views on inalienable freedom of speech no matter what the context?

http://www.domoreactnow.com/justice/it-right-ban-racism-euro-2012

This topic was provoked by this article I read today about freedom of speech in Europe and the Muslim World today.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  74
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  09/15/1967

I'm for free speech no matter the context (except when it endangers lives, such as the case in which you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater).

And I fully support that right (e.g., The 1st Amendment) with the 2nd Amendment--the right to keep and bare and arms. :guns:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  600
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,390
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Now that's a thought...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

I'm aware it's a key part of the US constitution but what are everyone's views on inalienable freedom of speech no matter what the context?

http://www.domoreact...acism-euro-2012

This topic was provoked by this article I read today about freedom of speech in Europe and the Muslim World today.

I noticed that you have indicated that your from Barcelona. I'm in the USA, State of Maine. While we do have an inalienable right to freedom of speech, that, right does not mean we can shout out anything we wish to say, so we have limits also. Yet in most cases those limits are not like those in the story you posted. Like a person in a movie theater would be held responsible for yelling out "Fire" in that building when there was no fire. There are publicly unacceptable words which cover race, that should not be used and if a crime, was done and words used during that crime could point to a racist attitude and cause a steeper fine or jail time.

I had a friend, who was a young engineer from China many years ago, I was his American sponsor through an industrial training program that the government set up to share technologies. He was a few year younger then I and He had some ideas that he expressed. One was the right to have more then 1 child in China, long story...he stood up for his views, his freedom, and he was killed for it while at Tienanmen Square, 1989....

By the way: metal-welcome-with-DKS.gif

ps, My step dad was from Barcelona, a big man...a good man...

I at the time was a teenage boy, so I really did not pay to much attention to him.

ICL~~~Dennis

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  2

Well if one wants free speech, as in freedom of expression then one can expect parents made to look stupid, images of murdered cops and same sex relationships seen as normal. The point is people are finding declining freedom for speaking out against such things.

In fact society is losing touch with reality. The Stonewall LGBT member of the Equalities and Human Rights Commission in the UK objected to a Christian member joining. Remind me what equality means again. The UN Declaration of Human Rights protects the right of freedom of expression of religion Article 18.

So in fact there is nothing more unequal, bigoted and contrary to human rights than the Uk Equalty and Human Rights Commission.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  74
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  09/15/1967

Does this mean you do not support free speech when people say things you do not like?

Absolutely. You can't have it one way, otherwise it ceases to be FREE speech. And that's the beauty of it and why our founding fathers understood that without free speech the seedbed of tyranny is laid, giving way to oppression and control of the people. If you limit speech on one side--or pick and choose what people can or cannot say--you are limiting their freedom and their liberty; reducing their human rights and giving those who are in power control over your life--as is the case with countries or entities who limit free speech.

I hear (and see) things that I don't like all the time. What do I do? I tune it out, ignore it and continue to exercise MY free speech in opposing what I don't like--because I understand that if you limit the speech of one group, it will also must be applied to other groups as well. This is why I have opposed the Patriot Act after the attack of 9/11. Historically, governments use such threats as the means by which to enslave the people. It looks good on the surface, but it only gives way to more insidious regulations and laws that chip away at our very freedoms (i.e., National Defense and Authorization Act; which thank God, is experiencing push back from the judicial branch.)

As Benjamin Franklin put it: "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither, and lose both." He was speaking from experience.

Evil prevails when good men stand idly by...and it is at this point where free countries (like the US) stand on a treacherous precipice, teetering on the verse of oppression--due much in part to apathy, complacency and ignorance and failing to exercise their free speech rights. And why the 2nd Amendment is so very important. Take away the 2nd Amendment and there is no more defense of the 1st.

Edited by Rare Bird

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Sometimes people just need to learn how to deal with conflict rather than shutting down obnoxious statements.

other one

Does this mean you do not support free speech when people say things you do not like?

What is free speech?

We see shows and commercials now where parents are made to look stupid compared to kids, snappy comeback answers to others which show disrespect. At one time cops were not allowed to be shown murdered and now the bodies pile up in movies. Gay's now seen as normal happy people on TV.

All this for freedom of speech. We program people from youth to be dishonorable.

Now worker rights, or matters to change things I am not against. Freedom of speech has been taken to far.

Blessings.

what is free speech????? it's surely not this...... I get rather annoyed when someone puts someone elses quote under my name.

I'd like to see us start putting up the commandments Jesus gave us.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  2,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/05/1985

As long as the speech doesn't put lives in danger (which sometimes can be a bit of a gray area) I'm up for all of it. If you take some you gotta take it all.