IGNORED

Is It Acceptable for Christians to Swear?

Mila Friiele

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  212
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,691
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1

theres a reason bad words are called bad words cause they are bad to use. There is no justifying cussing it is lazy and is not classy and using cuss words makes the cusser look immature and uneducated.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/17/1973

I swear and cuss sometimes. It's emotional...if I get mad i cuss, but I know (As do most) that it just isn't right.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

I've been doing really well in curbing my obsenities for a while, and I think the bible says it best in Ephesians 4:29, "29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.". I highly doubt that us using the F-bomb is building anybody up... that's probably been one of my greatest challenges, because I used to swear so much it became second nature, and I'm STILL trying to break the habit, especially if I'm having an impatient day or something... it's tough...

To answer the question, no I don't think we as Christians should swear. I'm sure we'll all have our slip ups, but we should be focusing on NOT using those words, as they don't benefit anyone else, including ourselves.

I slip up...crickey, it's gonna happen. I get frustrated with the computer and I can swear with the best of them...sometimes better, lol. But to continually swear and with such gusto...hahaha, oh my gosh. You're trying to change your language. Which is awesome. You also recognize that it is ungodly. They don't. Or they refuse to. And I think that's my biggest issue with this whole thing.

Thanks for the scripture verse. I'll be able to use that. :)

James 1:26

If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

Another thing that many cussers do is the finger.

Isa 58: 9

Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  46
  • Birthday:  09/17/1973

I swear and cuss sometimes. It's emotional...if I get mad i cuss, but I know (As do most) that it just isn't right.

AND might I add. This thread has made me think about it even more. I repent!! I'm going to do my best not to cuss. (especially when driving).....

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

2nd peter 2

10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.

11 Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.

12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

13 And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;

14 Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:

15 Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;

16 But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet.

17 These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever.

This bolded worrd is a no no in most public areas. just thought I would throw this into the mix and see whats said .

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  40
  • Birthday:  09/09/1985

2nd peter 2

10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.

11 Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.

12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

13 And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;

14 Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:

15 Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;

16 But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet.

17 These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever.

This bolded worrd is a no no in most public areas. just thought I would throw this into the mix and see whats said .

Maybe I'm missing something in my interpretation, but biblically, this was meant in a literal sense to describe the animal itself. A donkey, by definition, cannot speak, and is therefore DUMB. ASS is just another word for donkey, since that's what they were called. I'm not sure it's meant as a curse, being that those words have a normal, mundane definition, where words like the f-bomb don't really have any...

Again, maybe I'm missing what you were going for with the insertion of this piece of scripture, and if so, definitely point me in the right direction. But I'm pretty sure it's just a descriptive phrase of reference.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

As Christians, we must know that the lost are listening to what we say and watching what we do. Everything is part of our living testimony for Christ and can impact our ability to witness to those who have been listening and watching. What we do and say also impacts our personal relationship with Christ.

Romans 12:1-2 NASB Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Is it acceptable for Christ to swear?

Gary

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

I come across so many Christians who have absolutely no problem with swearing. And I mean, swearing. Since when is it okay to let loose with a tirade of nasty language? Or even the "f" word. I had lunch with a woman calling herself a Christian, who says she believes there is nothing wrong with cussing. Or swearing. Even the "f" word is okay to her. I told her we are to be in the world but not of the world. Separate and called out, but that made no impression upon her at all. Her boyfriend has no trouble speaking with every second word being "f" this and "f" that, and then telling my other unsaved friend he needs Jesus. My friend later laughed and said they are no Christians.

There's at least one woman in my church who seems to believe that swearing is not an issue either. And though she doesn't use the "f" word, I find myself bothered by her language. I haven't said anything, and honestly not sure if I will. Perhaps these are signs of people falling away in the last days.

Does anyone else have a problem with this, or am I just being too "Christian".

King James Version

About swearing.....

James 5:12

But, above all , my brethren,

do not swear , either by heaven or by earth

or with any other oath.

About Cussing....

James 3:10

Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing.

My brethren, these things ought not be so.

2 Timothy 2:16

But shun profane and idle babblings,

for they will increase to more ungodliness.

So tell your friends that say these things .... it is ungodly .

If an unclean word comes out of my mouth ...I ask God ...immediately to forgive me.

The swearing here is a definite reference to the use of oaths of vengeance. "I swear on my mother's grave, I'll get you!" and such.

Cursing isn't what we think it is, it is the use of a curse to bring or call down condemnation on another.

Coarse (vulgar) language is what we today call 'cussing' (although the term cuss is derived from curse). Using words to describe sexual intercourse, feces, urine, vomit, male or female body parts normally kept covered, homosexual behavior, or one's relationship with their mother and so forth indiscriminately without regarding who's around is obviously wrong. If ya bang your thumb with a hammer and something comes out that shouldn't, that's a happenstance.

Is it acceptable for Christ to swear?

When God Speaks

And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry: And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet. And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it. Mark 11:12-14

Even His Creation Listens

And when even was come, he went out of the city. And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots. And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away. And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God. Mark 11:19-22

~

When A Believing Man Speaks

But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned. Matthew 12:36-37

Even God Listens

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Revelation 3:19