• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

After recently installing the lastest Windows XP updates (Service Pack 2) from Bill Gates and crew, Internet Explorer is doing way funny things. It takes it like forever to come up-a good 5 or 10 minutes. Then sometimes after it comes up, the site I'm trying to get on will stop loading and I get the "Internet Explorer is not responding" error message. I tried using the MSN that came with my computer, but it appears to suffer from the same problem! I de-installed Service Pack 2 yesterday and I got on the Internet fast and quick with no problem, but last night the whole thing started over again! I'm at work right now and I'm almost to the point of having my dial-up connection turned off at home over this!

• Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Did you restart after loading?

I loaded it and have not had much problem....yet!

Although my internet is a wee slower at times.

Mmmmmmm......

Where's all them computer geeks when you need 'em? :rolleyes:

t.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  281
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

My solution to any computer problem thats not fixable in 20 minutes or less is to .....

A) take a hammer to it

B) Throw it out the window

C) Call some computer geeky friend

D) Pray than throw it out the window if it does not work.

E) Hope some here better than I can can fix your puter problem.

:rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  276
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

:P:rolleyes:;)

My thoughts exactly!

Any way, a few more things to check, Ronald;

Check the security settings in your new Security Center. They may have been set too high by default. Also, SP2 comes with a new firewall. If you are like me and run a separate firewall, microshafts firewall may conflict with it and it could slow stuff down.

I disabled the SP2 firewall and kept my ol' faithful on (McAfee). SP2 firewall only blocks or filters in-coming stuff and doesn't block any outgoing stuff from your computer. If a Trojan horse ever infects your computer and starts sending stuff outbound, it wouldn't stop it. Other firewalls like the one I mentioned or Zone Alarm does both.

Check all that stuff in the newly installed Security Center and see how they are set by default. You can find this new security center after you load SP2. It will be in the Control Panel.

Hope this helps.

t.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  669
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  09/04/1986

I've also updated my computer to the service pack 2, and have had no problems.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  265
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Ronald,

You may be able to repair Internet Explorer. There should be an option under start/ programs/accessories/system tools/system information for doing this. In some cases you can also go through the add/ remove programs of your control panel to repair it. But best to check your comp information owner's manual first to prevent any potential snags.

Rick

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

I recommend loading Opera, Mozilla, and Netscape (all browsers) for those times when Bill Gate's oversold trash has a hissy fit, and it will have fits. I have had Explorer fail for no reason, but the next day, for no reason, work as well as usual, which is always subpar.

One of the reasons that Explorer and Hotmail hit the super slow modes from time to time is traffic volume combined with poor quality routing. Quality never got in but the name goes on.

I check for and remove (if found) adware, spyware, and viruses consistantly. I use a firewall that blocks the misuse of cookies. All downloads, emails, and java are scanned, but many don't realise that images can contain viruses.

My sons sometimes play pool online, and several times I have had to repair damage that was done when they turned off my firewall (this no longer occurs) and antiviral programs.

I had 2 Java/Byte/Verify viruses slip by, and if you have ever had these, you will realize that if you use Explorer, keep updating or pay a price. When you use Explorer, even with their firewall, picture swiss cheese and realize that with each patch you are plugging one hole in the cheese, but probably making three extra holes.

• Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

System restore works wonders, LOL!!!! We set it back to September 26th and also deleted cookies and have no problems now that I can tell-fastest it's been in ages.

Ted, you may have hit on a problem-I do have Zone Alarm on here. I s'pose the new firewall could've conflicted with it? Anyway, we're good to go it seems!!!

• Topic Count:  331
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76

:) I was reading this thread lastnight and I was mysteriously and abruptly disconnected :) I thought for sure that ronalds computer was contagious :oww:

Love and Blessings,

Angel

• Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Hey Ron! I'm another 'service pack 2 update' victim. I just had to completely erase my hard drive and reload everything. Now it's telling me I don't have a sound board.

Love that service pack 2!!!