• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/17/1981

An excellent topic. We all have our vices, and struggles, but too many Christians make excuses for their own convenience. They prefer to live in a self-delusional dream land, that they vehemently and ignorantly defend at any cost, and ignore God's command for whatever he has chosen them for in service to the world. They don't even think of where they stand with God or how to improve themselves progressively, just getting by and being however they must to keep their little bubbles form popping. Nothing good can ever come from this, in faith or otherwise. Its that kind of attitude that causes evil to form, because there is no thought as to what is right or wrong by God, just what they feel they can personally justify based on their own inclinations and desires.

Sure, God wants us to feel his light and joy. He doesn't want us to be miserable. However, I highly doubt he wishes for us to be hypocritical and deluded, and to avoid any spiritual growth.

One way I can tell if someone is bad news, is if they think they are good with God and need no self-improvement, or have no attitude for progression.

I don't judge, but people like that can't expect others to take them seriously when they are not serious about devotion to God. Whether its the duty to raise children under God, or to put themselves at great risk for others, all is important, and no one is exempt from Gods command to constantly seek self-improvement and his will wherever we are called.

From a very interesting preacher:

'Fear not a life of trials and tribulations, but rather a life of ease and complacency'

'Fear not the attack of the evil one, but fear that you never make his hit list'

'Fear not the wrath of man, but fear that you never make men consider things'

'Fear not attempting great things for God and failing, but fear attempting little things for God and succeeding'

So my prayer for all of you, is not that you would live a life of misery or fear, but that you would live a life, fearing the right things.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Good response.

But what do you mean by "fearing the right things"? I lost you on that. Maybe you can explain it.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  01/17/1981

Good response.

But what do you mean by "fearing the right things"? I lost you on that. Maybe you can explain it.

Give it some time of ponder. =) It will come to you with your many years of experience above my own.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

bornagain2011

I have recently come to that conclusion as well, he wants us to be holy first and follow the Word. That is why I decided not to get remarried. I still have people arguing with me telling me it's ok. Even my very strongly religous grandma told me "God wants you to be happy, a lot of people get remarried in the church." Just cause everyone is doing it doesn't make it right.

Following the Word should make us happy. The Joy of the Lord is our strength. Living for God should be the most happy place anyone can be in. My question is, what does marriage have to do with this?

Holy is another word for being Righteous. (Blameless) Jesus said to even ask for things that your Joy may be full. Full of joy, means happy and there are 5 scriptures in the NT that describe full of Joy.

Only one place in scriptures says we should be Holy or without blame in EPH. It's nothing we can do by our own works. So, that means staying in the right place with God. (Righteousness or right standing with God)

I still don't understand the Marriage angle though and how that is connected to joy or being happy.

Blessings.

I got a divorce over a year ago and have since met someone that brought me to the Lord, we have gotten pretty seriouse about our commitment to eachother and were talking about getting married. Then I started to feel convicted, I couldn't feel at peace with it. I prayed all the time about it. Everyone I talked to, even the pastor at our church said God wants me to be happy, and that lots of people get remarried after divorce. But I still didn't feel right about it. Jesus and Paul both say that if a woman is to remarry after divorce she is commiting adultary, and the man she will marry is commiting adultary as well. Unless the former spouse passes away. So that was my answer. If I am to follow God's Word to the letter that means NO remarriage. At first I was pretty bumbed, but now I have made peace with it. My feelings for my boyfriend have simmered into friendship feelings. And he is pretty happy with my decision to, he said it was great I was wanting to follow the Word, unlike so many other people.

Lots of Christians WILL sin to try and make themselves happy, they will twist scripture around and try and find loopholes. But I refuse to do that anymore. and I am very happy with my decision :). I finally feel at peace!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  6

Matthew 5:48 is what youre quoting with "Be ye holy" but its really "Be ye perfect" Ill post from 5:43 for the context of what Jesus meant by be ye perfect.

Matthew 5:43"You have heard that it has been said, You shall love your neighbor, and hate your enemy.

44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them who despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45That you may be the children of your Father who is in heaven: for he makes his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

46For if you love them who love you, what reward have you? do not even the tax collectors the same?

47And if you greet your brethren only, what do you more than others? do not even the tax collectors so?

48Be you therefore perfect, even as your Father who is in heaven is perfect."

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  6

Im not nitpicking just letting you know. As far happy vs. holy Im with you brother. We have our joy in the Lord theres no pleasure in sin.

You wont find many who share the same stance in your immediate locale but your not responsible or their actions, as vexing as they are, give them a couple admonishments gently, Im a sucker I try and try and try to tell the truth, but if they dont listen not your problem.

Romans 14:21 "Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves." (NKJV)

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/25/1993

Lasting happiness can come only through holiness.