tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

2 Corinthians 1:20 For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

You touched on one of my favorites. This scripture jumped out at me one night and when I grabbed hold of what the Lord was saying it was one of those glory to glory moments. The promises of God are in Him yes and in Him amen. They are for His children to grab hold of and stand on with His seal. He said in Him Amen. When the Lord says so be it, that finishes it! It is a promise that cannot be broken.

Ever get fearful? The Lord's promise is fear not, for I Am with you, Amen.

Ever become worried about where your house payment will come from? The Lord's promise is, seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you, Amen.

Ever lost someone? The Lord's promise is weeping may endure for the night but joy comes in the morning, Amen.

His Word is full of promises for us and He has sealed them with an Amen.

If we ask anything according to His will we shall have it...yes and Amen!

• 3 months later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  881
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

Amen and HALLELUIAH.

There is another pretty neat word that is a non-translated from the Hebrew and well known through out all nations, peoples and tongues.

Guest Bro Davidâ„¢

HALLELUIAH.

Halleluyah is the Hebrew word meaning literally "praise Yah".

Yah meaning Lord.

Thus it means Praise the Lord.

• Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  498
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/25/1949

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/faq/amen.html

Frequently Asked Questions

What does amen mean

Frequently Asked Questions About Christianity, Answered Honestly!

What Does Amen Mean

-by Tony Warren

ften when a Pastor is in the middle of a sermon, and he reaches a particularly cogent or compelling part of the message, someone in the Congregation will say, "Amen!" This is most often done to show assent or agreement with what has been said. The question we will address in this FAQ is, "What does amen mean, and is saying it in the congregation a Biblical thing to do?"

First of all, amen is a word used so frequently in the Church that you would think most Christians would know it's meaning. However, many do not. Others tend to use the word frivolously, some even thinking that it simply means 'the end.' But this word is a lot more than just the standard "thing to say," or the ending of a prayer.

[amen] is one of the few words of scripture which is actually written in it's original Hebrew form. In fact, it is practically a universal word, having been adopted "directly" from the Hebrew to Greek, Latin, English, Spanish, and many other languages. Found both in the Old and the New Testaments, it is also translated in different ways, depending upon the context of the passage in which it is found. Amen is derived from the root [aman], which means to be firm (i.e., permanent), and thus by implication, to be true or faithful. When we see the word Amen in scripture, it is indicating that which is truth, or said faithfully. It illustrates that which is of absolute certainty. We can get a better understanding of the word in looking at it as it is seen in a slightly different context than we normally would see it. What does amen mean

Isaiah 65:16

"That he who blesseth himself in the earth shall bless himself in the God of truth; and he that sweareth in the earth shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten, and because they are hid from mine eyes."

Both words that are translated truth there, is the Hebrew word [amen]. Thus it is declaring by the God of Amen, Jehovah God who cannot lie (Titus 1:2). In this context this word is expressing God's faithfulness. That He alone is the Amen, the God of truth. And indeed, the Lord is the very essence of truth. By comparing scripture with scripture and allowing it to be it's own dictionary, it's own interpreter, we come to conclusions about what words really mean in scripture. Amen is thereby defined as truth, and this understanding of the word continues to be made manifest in the new Testament.

Revelation 3:14

"And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;"

The Lord "is" the Truth in person and in Spirit, so that He fulfills God's faithfulness. Whatever He declares will surely come to pass. When we come to the knowledge of the Lord, we come to the knowledge of truth (1st Timothy 2:4). By searching these things out in the rightfully dividing of scripture, we can often come to the true meanings of Biblical words. Amen, when studied and compared diligently, ultimately means true or truthfully.

John 8:51

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death."

The word translated 'verily' is that very same Hebrew word [amen], and it means that what is now being said is most assuredly, truth. Christ is saying, "Of a truth (truthfully) I say unto you." He is making a statement of "absolute" certainty. What does amen mean

John 13:38

"Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice."

Again, the word translated "verily" is the Hebrew word [amen]. Verily [amen], thus means truthfully. God is emphasizing here the absolute truth that there was no possibility of Peter's three denials of Him, not taking place. Truth, truly, it was going to occur.

So we understand the root meaning of the word is "truth." But it can also be used to show a believer's assent to the Word of God. For example, if a preacher would say, "the wages of sin is death," and I would reply, "true" or amen, I am giving an affirmation of agreement and an acceptance of what the Word of God had declared, or to what the preacher had preached. Unfortunately, there are times when some Christians do this simply out of habit. That is not God glorifying. But a heart-felt 'Amen' uttered in the congregation is by no means unbiblical. In fact, we have the example in scripture which shows that it is in total agreement with Biblical practices.

Deuteronomy 27:14-15

"And the Levites shall speak, and say unto all the men of Israel with a loud voice,

Cursed be the man that maketh any graven or molten image, an abomination unto the LORD, the work of the hands of the craftsman, and putteth it in a secret place. And all the people shall answer and say, Amen."

Deuteronomy 27:20-23

"Cursed be he that lieth with his father's wife; because he uncovereth his father's skirt. And all the people shall say, Amen.

Cursed be he that lieth with any manner of beast. And all the people shall say, Amen.

Cursed be he that lieth with his sister, the daughter of his father, or the daughter of his mother. And all the people shall say, Amen.

Cursed be he that lieth with his mother in law. And all the people shall say, Amen."

Here God's people are commanded to give an amen or assent to the Word of God. In doing so, they are asserting that this is the truth and that they are in agreement with all that has been said. Whenever we pronounce the 'Amen' or 'truth' to the laws and commandments of God, we are giving witness or testimony to our confidence in it. i.e., we are a faithful witness endorsing the testimony of the Lord. This versus an unfaithful witness to scripture who denies it (by word or works). When someone says Amen, they are either:

Affirming from their heart that they believe that what God said is perfect, absolutely true, and faithful.

Making an affirmation in agreement that what is being read or preached is the gospel truth to which they are dedicated.

Affirming the certainty that their prayers and petitions, when asked in accordance to God's will being done, are pleasing to God and will be heard by Him.

So when someone says Amen, it really should be considered a solemn oath of agreement which should never be uttered lightly.

1st Corinthians 10:31

"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."

When we say Amen, it should only be to the glory of God. It means that we believe all the things we have read are true, or are confident God hears our petitions. It is like an oath that we know something with absolute certainty. Even that our prayers truly have been heard by God. For the Lord exhorted us to pray this way, and that He would hear the prayers of His saints. He may not answer them according to "our will" but He most certainly hears them, and answers them as we pray that "His will" be done in all things. Make no mistake, the earnest prayer of a righteous man is both effectual, and availeth (is powerful) much (Psalms 65:2; Proverbs 15:8, 29; John 9:31; James 5:16).

1st Peter 3:12

"For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil."

..may the Lord who is gracious above all, guide us all into the truth and understanding of His Holy Word. What does amen mean

Amen!

Peace,

Copyright

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Thank you jc,

That was very informative. Especially the portion speaking of the solemn oath.

Affirming from their heart that they believe that what God said is perfect, absolutely true, and faithful.

Making an affirmation in agreement that what is being read or preached is the gospel truth to which they are dedicated.

Affirming the certainty that their prayers and petitions, when asked in accordance to God's will being done, are pleasing to God and will be heard by Him.

So when someone says Amen, it really should be considered a solemn oath of agreement which should never be uttered lightly.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Guest Bro Davidâ„¢
Thank you jc,

That was very informative.  Especially the portion speaking of the solemn oath.

In His Love,

Suzanne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Suzanne,

I think maybe I could be wrong.

But does not this meaning of Amen slightly differ from what we perceive amen to be ?.

I think that is the reason for jc49 using that emoticon at the end of his post.

In fact I think it differs drasticly.

------------------------------------- :cool:

YBIC

:whistling:

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

How do you think it differs, Bro David? :whistling:

Guest Bro Davidâ„¢
at the beginning of a discourse - surely, truly, of a truth

at the end - so it is, so be it, may it be fulfilled.

The word "amen" is a most remarkable word. It was transliterated directly from the Hebrew into the Greek of the New Testament, then into Latin and into English and many other languages, so that it is practically a universal word. It has been called the best known word in human speech. The word is directly related -- in fact, almost identical -- to the Hebrew word for "believe" (amam), or faithful. Thus, it came to mean "sure" or "truly", an expression of absolute trust and confidence.

The word Amen truly is remarkable.

It is the same in both the Hebrew and Greek of Jesus' day, and most languages today.

It has two meanings, dependent on usage.

It can mean: 'I agree completely with what he said', or it can mean: 'May it be so'.

If you amen while someone is speaking, you are usually doing it to note you agree strongly with him. When you or someone else is done praying or speaking, it is to say you want it to happen.

Gary

So when someone says Amen, it really should be considered a solemn oath of agreement which should never be uttered lightly

This is what I mean Traveller,

Does it not change the meaning.

In fact there is one wrong translation-

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death."

The word translated 'verily' is that very same Hebrew word [amen], and it means that what is now being said is most assuredly, truth. Christ is saying, "Of a truth (truthfully) I say unto you." He is making a statement of "absolute" certainty. What does amen mean

John 13:38

I know it almost says the same thing but it changes the context of speech.

Verily means Truly [Not Amen]

Secondly I do not think that Amen means an oath.

It rather means in a very simple translation.

"Let it be done"

Or

"So be it"

Unless Strongs got it wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Zayit

Actually the correct pronunciation is Amein, not amen. If you use the later you are speaking the name of a pagan god which is forbidden to do.