• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

A study of all known biblical prophets reveals that they were all fallible human beings who fell into participating in things that were evil except for Jesus.

I do not believe this. Kindly provide what you consider the biblical proof of such a claim . Don't be put off by my words....I am sorry

if I cannot bring myself to put butter on both sides of the toast. I mean no harm nor is that my intent.

So I conclude that discernment would be an excellent trait for a prophet and very profitable for him to have but not something that can be said to be an identifying characteristic of all prophets.

No human being is 100% operating in any gift 100% of the time...disobedience does not equal no discernment.

There is not prophecy without discernment. It simply cannot be...both for the one prophesying and the one receiving

There is not prophecy without discernment. It simply cannot be...both for the one prophesying and the one receiving

Agreed, otherwise we would have the blind leading the blind....

Rom_12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

A study of all known biblical prophets reveals that they were all fallible human beings who fell into participating in things that were evil except for Jesus.

I do not believe this. Kindly provide what you consider the biblical proof of such a claim . Don't be put off by my words....I am sorry

if I cannot bring myself to put butter on both sides of the toast. I mean no harm nor is that my intent.

Upon rereading my statement I must agree that it is error. The word 'all' should have been stated 'many' as there is not enough information given about each prophet spoken of in the OT to make such an all inclusive statement. But lets look at a few...

David was a prophet who slept with another mans wife and subsequently killed him to cover his sin. Due to his lack of discernment he needed yet another prophet to expose his error.

Noah was a prophet who got himself drunk and passed out in his tent leaving himself exposed and upon his realization of his sons error proceeded to curse his grandchildren to a very harsh and difficult existence.

The prophet of 1 Kings 13 was unable to discern the error from the other prophet of God and therefore lost his life due to his own disobedience unto God. No ability to discern truth from error in prophecy.

Aaron was a prophet of God who lacked discernment in understanding that Moses was the chosen one of God and spoke against Moses in envy.

Abraham was a prophet of God who lacked discernment and relied upon a work of the flesh through the mouth of his wife to try to bring to pass that which God said would happen.

Elijah was a prophet of God who after having killed many people realized that he was no better than any of his fathers and asked to be killed himself who also could not discern that God had 7000 other faithful followers other than himself.

John the baptist was a prophet of God who could not even truly discern if Jesus was the one or if he should look for another. Jesus even made the statement that John who came in the spirit of Elijah was not part of the kingdom of God as the least in the kingdom was greater than he. But he sent back word again seeking to give John something to believe in, the works that had been done. No true discernment.

Shall we continue looking for more?

I do not declare myself a prophet of God. I declare that the word of God speaks to me in a prophetic manner. God has never spoken to me and said "You are my prophet and I want you to go to such and such and prophesy today." If God wants to call me into that type of ministry he is going to have to be very clear to me.

My intent with this thread was to see if there were others who might be able to shed light upon what the gift of prophecy is and how one truly knows if they have been called to be a prophet. No one has been able to clearly declare from scripture what it is or how one knows. There have been some good points made but nothing definitive that I can say has cleared up my confusion.

What I know is that prophets are not popular. They are second in authority in any assembly of the body. Any prophet is supposed to be able to confirm or deny what another prophet has declared as truth from God as one speaks and the other prophets judge. There is a long history of prophets who made grievous mistakes and had poor discernment.

My prayer and supplication before the Lord is that he might be gracious, merciful and kind to give us an understanding of this that we might be able to, as a functioning part of his body, employ such understanding and bring him glory in truth and not be those who darken counsel by words without knowledge.

Lydia, you have had a really good affect upon my sitting back and inventorying what I believe and know to be true. Your challenges have helped me to seek to understand better that which has been revealed. It is through your intervention that I understood that I need a clear declaration from God before I can ever consider myself anything before God in any part of his church. I thank you. I have been able to go back to simply being one of the sheep, just an informed one who may or may not be called of God at some point to employ that knowledge when working with another in the fold. Let us simply continue to seek to love one another as he has loved us.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

If Prophecy is really from God; deliver it. No discernment is needed on your part. You are just a vessel for the delivery; You are not to judge/discern your own prophecy. It is the one who hears these words who must discern if it is from God or not and maybe put it into action. Prophecy must only be given to believers. Tongues is a sign to non believers.

In Christ

Montana Marv

How does one know if it is 'really' God if one does not know it is really from God?

Emptying the mind to receive information from the spirit world is an ungodly practice and utilized by mediums the world over as well

as practitioners of zen, yoga and various other eastern religions

So, kindly provide scripture that endorses your comments with a view to the following:

1. No discernment is needed in order for a prophet to quote unquote 'deliver' a prophecy

2. A prophet is 'just' a vessel...which seems to indicate that a mind is a terrible thing to waste (yes I know, my brand of humor)

3. A prophet should not judge or discern their own prophecy (well how could they if they have forgotten to use their mind)

4. The hearer of the prophecy is the one who judges whether it is from God or not, which would leave the prophet in some fear I imagine

especially if one were an OT prophet...for example: "Prophet: quickly...does this sound like it came from the Lord or will I now be stoned?"

5. Only believers can hear prophecy (which makes sense if you believe #4 on this list ;)

and finally

6. What has tongues got to do with this? (why does that remind me of song?)

Please forgive the humor added cause that is just me and I believe God's smile is added here (just my relationship with Him I guess) and

also I do not want anyone to think I am using a hammer.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,135
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  2

If Prophecy is really from God; deliver it. No discernment is needed on your part. You are just a vessel for the delivery; You are not to judge/discern your own prophecy. It is the one who hears these words who must discern if it is from God or not and maybe put it into action. Prophecy must only be given to believers. Tongues is a sign to non believers.

In Christ

Montana Marv

How does one know if it is 'really' God if one does not know it is really from God?

Emptying the mind to receive information from the spirit world is an ungodly practice and utilized by mediums the world over as well

as practitioners of zen, yoga and various other eastern religions

So, kindly provide scripture that endorses your comments with a view to the following:

1. No discernment is needed in order for a prophet to quote unquote 'deliver' a prophecy

From prophets of old. Zech 1 - The word of the Lord came to the prophet Zech - Therefore tell the people...

Jonah 1. - The word of the Lord came to Jonah; Go to the great city Nineveh. Both are action words (tell and go)

Each knew without a shaddow of doubt it was from God. If one does not know or believe, it is not from God. He will use another vessel/prophet, who does know and believe. If you are told to throw a forward pass to the tight end, and there are no other options (you either do it or you do not do it) where is the discernment in that. Faithful or unfaithful

2. A prophet is 'just' a vessel...which seems to indicate that a mind is a terrible thing to waste (yes I know, my brand of humor)

Who/What then can God use; a talking donkey, maybe yes (Num 22:26-31) If you are a vessel of God and to be used as He seems fit, who are you.

3. A prophet should not judge or discern their own prophecy (well how could they if they have forgotten to use their mind)

If the Holy Spirit is to give you words to say, keep your mind out of it and just do it.

4. The hearer of the prophecy is the one who judges whether it is from God or not, which would leave the prophet in some fear I imagine

especially if one were an OT prophet...for example: "Prophet: quickly...does this sound like it came from the Lord or will I now be stoned?"

That is why Israel failed so many time, they did not believe in a true prophet. A true prophet better be right 100 percent of the time. Then and Now. But one must test the prophet, no credencials no prophet. Does what the present day prophet say conform to Scripture.

5. Only believers can hear prophecy (which makes sense if you believe #4 on this list ;)

Prophets of today are to edify the body/Church (1 Cor 14:22b, 29, 30)

and finally

6. What has tongues got to do with this? (why does that remind me of song?)

1 Cor 14:22 Both tongues and prophecy are in the same verse with two different outcomes.

Please forgive the humor added cause that is just me and I believe God's smile is added here (just my relationship with Him I guess) and

also I do not want anyone to think I am using a hammer.

Humor/Bad humor; If one uses the hammer, they may also use the nail; Christ being nailed to the Cross. He died for all.

1 Cor 14 - Prophecy is a gift from the Holy Spirit. Many have it, but don't use it, Others want it, but can't use it correctly, for this is where discernment is needed. Discernment is needed at the beginning (to see if one is really a prophet, has this gift); After that tell and go (Orders from God), Then the receiver will discern if the particular prophesy is for them (it is for them to act or not to act)

In Christ

Montana Marv

Humor/Bad humor; If one uses the hammer, they may also use the nail; Christ being nailed to the Cross. He died for all.

1 Cor 14 - Prophecy is a gift from the Holy Spirit. Many have it, but don't use it, Others want it, but can't use it correctly, for this is where discernment is needed. Discernment is needed at the beginning (to see if one is really a prophet, has this gift); After that tell and go (Orders from God), Then the receiver will discern if the particular prophesy is for them (it is for them to act or not to act)

In Christ

Montana Marv

No, it's not bad humor at all. How does one possibly in any way shape or form try to draw a serious analogy between my questions

and my cautionary remark regarding a hammer, to our Savior being nailed to a cross?

At any rate, you have not answered one single question. You have not provided one single verse to provide a basis for your interpretation

regarding your remarks on prophecy,...and this just makes me sad once again.

Yes, it is exactly as you say....many want to be a prophet but they have no idea what that entails. Some would be prophets appear to

believe that cryptic remarks will be understood as having been inspired by the Holy Spirit. I, am not one of those people.

God does not give orders....he asks that we obey HIm through the Holy Spirit out of love for His Son and the sacrifice of that Son,

so that our sins could be forgiven. When we fail, He is there to embrace us once again as we ask for forgiveness. God is not willing

that any should perish, yet I find that many that consider themselves to be a prophet seem to relish a God of vengeance and dire

warnings and catastrophic events.

This is the day of our salvation. God still says whosoever will may come. He has not yet rolled up the carpet or closed the book

in which are entered the names of the saints. God loves us and does not want to whack us over the head and he is not whacking

us over the head. All that happens is meant to turn us to our loving Creator who waits as it is not yet time.

I do not worship a mean God who gives orders and demands that we listen to prophets who are self made and do not make sense.

No personal insult is intended...I am merely stating where I stand on the matter.

You will note the verses from Lamentations I have for my signature. Jeremiah was a major prophet and his heart was broken

over sinful men and women. That, is a true prophet. He is speaking God's heart. Even Nineveh was made to turn from

destruction to life. Jonah did not want to preach...remember he was a prophet...repentance...which is one of the true

signs of a prophet who is called by God...so you see he had a choice. He did not just open his mouth and words fell out.

Prophets use their minds...they are not just vessels. We all have a choice. Mine, is to speak a true word based on that

which is already written and I do not walk by visions or dreams whether or not I have them. The Word of God is that

which accomplishes His will and His will, right now, is still salvation for all who will come.

I am not a prophet and if I was I would not call myself one. Better to let those who are call another a prophet. I only

speak from the Word we already have and from that Word I know whether or not a dream or a vision or even a word

is actually from God.

That, is what God desires. He does not want to send death and famine and war. Yes, these things will happen but they are

the result of sin and demonic human beings who serve them (demons) whether they know they do or not.

Guest bryanw92

The New Testament lists prophecy as one of the greater gifts, the one that we should try to have. It also warns us against false prophets. Now if prophecy was gone from the world, why would it be listed as gift? And why would there be warnings against "false" ones? Wouldn't the warning be a warning against listening to ANY prophet if prophecy was removed from the world?

New Testament prophecy is strong discernment, wisdom, and synthesis. It isn't reading goat entrails or tea leaves and it isn't even hearing the direct word of God (i.e. "Thus saith the Lord..."), but it is about seeing facts and realizing what is lilkely to come. One of the parts of the gift of prophecy is the ability to see clearly. A person who sees the world through a filter of emotions and preconceptions and ideologies cannot have the gift of prophecy because they can't even see the facts presented before them. If you can't see reality, then you can't take the inputs from that reality to synthesize a likely outcome. That's all a NT prophet is: a person who can clearly see that if we continue to do x, y, and z then an inevitable result is n. Its not entirely mystical, but there is a divine spirit-driven sense of discernment in that person that allows him to see x, y, and z as they really are and not as we wish they were.

Upon rereading my statement I must agree that it is error. The word 'all' should have been stated 'many' as there is not enough information given about each prophet spoken of in the OT to make such an all inclusive statement. But lets look at a few...

David was a prophet who slept with another mans wife and subsequently killed him to cover his sin. Due to his lack of discernment he needed yet another prophet to expose his error.

I disagree here Gary. David did not use bad discernment; he sinned. He committed adultery. In order to use discenment in this case, David would have

to have not known that what he did was sin. He would have had to consider whether or not adultery was a sin, but let's face it. As the King of Israel

he certainly knew it was a sin and compounded that sin with murder. David did not ere...he sinned.

David tried to cover up his sin which the prophet Nathan exposed. Because David had a tender heart for the Lord, he immediately admitted his sin

but of course suffered the rest of his life FOR his actions even though he was forgiven of both adultery and the murder of Bathsheba's husband.

Noah was a prophet who got himself drunk and passed out in his tent leaving himself exposed and upon his realization of his sons error proceeded to curse his grandchildren to a very harsh and difficult existence.

Well, he became angry because one son mocked him....the other two covered him up. The Bible makes it very plain that curses do in fact work.

Noah was not acting as a prophet when he proceeded to get drunk on his own wine....

Noah, a man of the soil, proceededa to plant a vineyard. 21When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent. 22Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father’s nakedness and told his two brothers outside. 23But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it across their shoulders; then they walked in backward and covered their father’s nakedness. Their faces were turned the other way so that they would not see their father’s nakedness.

24When Noah awoke from his wine and found out what his youngest son had done to him, 25he said, “Cursed be Canaan! The lowest of slaves

will he be to his brothers.” Gen 9

Only Ham mocked and was cursed. The other two, if you continue reading in Gen 9, were blessed. Interestingly, you already probably know that

what Ham did invokes a curse from God anyway. What actually ocurred, was that Ham LOST the blessing that was his by right. We are responsible

for our actions. None of this to say that what Noah did was right...however, what Ham did, mocking his father, was worse as the Bible records

in the ten commandments, that we are to honor our parents so that our days may be long.

The prophet of 1 Kings 13 was unable to discern the error from the other prophet of God and therefore lost his life due to his own disobedience unto God. No ability to discern truth from error in prophecy.

Actually, the record of this unnamed prophet is a perfect illustration of prophets needing discernment. First prophet delivered his message from God

to King Jeroboam and took himself off where he was found by the old prophet who acted from his OWN self and delivered a false word to have

the first prophet come with him to eat . While they were eating, the Spirit of God spoke through the old prophet and delivered a judgement of death

to the first prophet. It's a strange story because old prophet seemed to get by unscathed even though he spoke falsely and he went and got the

body of first prophet and buried him in his own tomb...as old prophets words came true regarding the judgement of death, he seemed to suddenly

understand that first prophet had spoken truth...in fact he was so impressed he told his sons to put his body beside that of the first prophet

First prophet did not use discernment when old prophet spoke and enticed him to disobey God. What we see, is, I think, the same type of judgement

recorded in Acts regarding Ananias and Sapphira. Do not lie to the Holy Spirit and do not represent God falsely which false prophets do of course.

This type of thing alone should serve as dire warning for all who presume to state they speak on behalf of God and have a message to deliver.

Teachers are warned in the NT to be careful as their responsibility is greater than others...ie: Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren,

knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment. James 3:1

Aaron was a prophet of God who lacked discernment in understanding that Moses was the chosen one of God and spoke against Moses in envy.

No...he was simply jealous. Unfortunately, jealousy is not a lack of discernment. It is rather a sign of one's character and desire for importance

and a desire to have what belongs to another. Jealousy does not operate from a lack of discernment.

Abraham was a prophet of God who lacked discernment and relied upon a work of the flesh through the mouth of his wife to try to bring to pass that which God said would happen.

Uh..he simply listened to his nagging wife. He knew better. Taking a slave to have children was not uncommon in those days. He loved his wife...

she was unhappy...he was trying to please her. Neither lacked discernment. God did not punish Abraham if you will note. Again, to the best of

his knowledge he (Abraham was not sinning) However, the effects of his union with Hagar are still ongoing.

Elijah was a prophet of God who after having killed many people realized that he was no better than any of his fathers and asked to be killed himself who also could not discern that God had 7000 other faithful followers other than himself.

I do not understand the connection you make here. Elijah was still human and had just been a part of a supernatural intervention. His flesh was not

any different than anyone elses'....he basically operated in the strength of the Lord during the altercation with the prophets of the Queen and lost

temporarily, his dependence upon God....a prophet is not a perfect person. A prophet only exercises a gift...it does not mean they ARE the gift.

John the baptist was a prophet of God who could not even truly discern if Jesus was the one or if he should look for another. Jesus even made the statement that John who came in the spirit of Elijah was not part of the kingdom of God as the least in the kingdom was greater than he. But he sent back word again seeking to give John something to believe in, the works that had been done. No true discernment.

That is not quite so Gary. Let's take a closer look.

Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him. John would have prevented him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" But Jesus answered him, "Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he consented. And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him

account in Matthew 3...John knew who Jesus was

And John bore witness: "I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, 'He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.' And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God." account in John 1

Now they cannot both be right and tranlators seem to agree that what John was saying in the book of John, was actually I did not know him, (as in acquainted

with Him...Jesus) but even so, I knew He was the One.

John cannot be saying I did not know who He was and I did know who He was and therefore did not want Him to baptize me at the same time. They

are two completely different statements. So, it appears more likely that the reference in the book of John was to actually being acquainted with Jesus

as John had been told that the Holy Spirit would descend upon Jesus at His baptism...a prophetic word.

And Mark handles it all still differently.

At any rate, you appear to have the idea that if a person operates as a prophet they should know all things and understand all things which is not

how the gift works. A prophet is not all knowing and is just as likely to sin as the next person.

Shall we continue looking for more? Well, I don't think we have any examples.

I do not declare myself a prophet of God. I declare that the word of God speaks to me in a prophetic manner. God has never spoken to me and said "You are my prophet and I want you to go to such and such and prophesy today." If God wants to call me into that type of ministry he is going to have to be very clear to me.

Well, as I stated I have never read where you actually stated you are a prophet...unlike some who introduce themselves with those very words.

You have absolutely declared a prophecy though...as you know.

My intent with this thread was to see if there were others who might be able to shed light upon what the gift of prophecy is and how one truly knows if they have been called to be a prophet. No one has been able to clearly declare from scripture what it is or how one knows. There have been some good points made but nothing definitive that I can say has cleared up my confusion.

I would agree with that assessment. You need a really good unbiased study which is hard to get when people are jumping up and down

going "I'm a prophet" LOL! It's really not a mystery. That, is the reason I can state with confidence I have not seen any prophets here

or if they are, they are just lurking. I know that will cause some anger, but that reaction alone is a key.

What I know is that prophets are not popular. They are second in authority in any assembly of the body. Any prophet is supposed to be able to confirm or deny what another prophet has declared as truth from God as one speaks and the other prophets judge. There is a long history of prophets who made grievous mistakes and had poor discernment.

Well, no one likes to be told they are a sinner. Understand that all prophets are not the same and some hear better than others. This is a personal

thing...it operates through the personality of the individual. God does not override our minds and natural abilities. It is error to state He does.

Further, there are occasions where a word comes true and yet the person is not a prophet of God at all. So, discernment is most certainly needed

and no prophet should leave home with it.

My prayer and supplication before the Lord is that he might be gracious, merciful and kind to give us an understanding of this that we might be able to, as a functioning part of his body, employ such understanding and bring him glory in truth and not be those who darken counsel by words without knowledge.

Lydia, you have had a really good affect upon my sitting back and inventorying what I believe and know to be true. Your challenges have helped me to seek to understand better that which has been revealed. It is through your intervention that I understood that I need a clear declaration from God before I can ever consider myself anything before God in any part of his church. I thank you. I have been able to go back to simply being one of the sheep, just an informed one who may or may not be called of God at some point to employ that knowledge when working with another in the fold. Let us simply continue to seek to love one another as he has loved us.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

Well, my only concern is for truth and I have a genuine, I believe God given, concern for the body and the error that is prevalent. I am kind of like

a watchmen on the wall saying watch out watch out. People often don't much like those guys either ;)

When I do not pay attention the Holy Spirit and ignore or proceed when I know I should not, I pay.

That is really not an exception either...for don't we all receive the results of our sins as payment for disobedience? When God warns us

about so very much and we go ahead and do it anyway, and suffer for it, who shall we blame?

I am not special....but I know what I know...I just don't believe it wise to offer accounts...how can anyone actually prove anything on a board

like this? Therefore, we all should just stick to the facts ma'am, and proceed to understand the written word. We should also point out fallacy

and error using the Word as our guide.

That, is something each can do and what Paul meant when he stated we should covet the gift of prophecy....in that sense of the word,

it means being able to speak forth the Word....in the power of the Holy Spirit who alone can give life to the words.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Some questions: Do you believe that a prophet cannot sin? I'm not sure where the biblical basis for that would be as I think you have illustrated

the opposite....as long as we are on this earth we shall sin....deliberate sin...such as David's adultery or the first prophets disobedience to the

God have bad consequences.

What is your definition of discernment?

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."

A prophet does not give his own interpretation of scripture. Every prophecy he or she proclaims will agree with already established truth. If they receive new light, it must agree with the old light God has already given. II Peter 1:20

But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort."

A prophet gives direction, advise and comforts those in distress or sorrow I Cor 14:3

"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they, are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is in the world."

A person cannot function as a prophet without discernment. I John 4: 1-3

Please note the NT has been used to describe a prophet re the verses above...there are more...we are no longer living

in the same circumstances as the OT . Each believer is now indwelt by the Holy Spirit as they receive Christ as their Savior

I do not believe one can achieve a true understanding using only OT scripture

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,186
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

What is the gift of prophecy and how would one know if they have it?

In Jesus Name,

Gary

According to the Biblical record, prophetic utterance was used by God's shepards to encourage, guide and teach. It does not necessarily refer to predictions of the future. Those who like to have their ears tickled by such things are spiritually irresponsible. The principle revelation of God to man is salvation - that man needs it, that man can find it, what to do with it and what to expect from it. The salvation message is the primary reason for God's word to man. Predictions of the future are meant to direct the believer's attention to the time of redemption - the ultimate end of the salvation message. Between the time of Adam's curse and Christ's second advent, the history of God's people has been filled with the words of the prophets, words that were mostly unpopular in their time.

Read the words for our own time written by a man foremost in the gift and use of prophecy.

"If there is a decay of conscience, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the public press lacks moral discernment, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the church is degenerate and worldly, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the world loses its interest in Christianity, the pulpit is responsible for it. If Satan rules in our halls of legislation, the pulpit is responsible for it. If our politics become so corrupt that their very foundations of our government are ready to fall away, the pulpit is responsible for it."

- Charles Finney

I say to you - do NOT desire the gift of prophecy unless you wish to become a very very unpopular fellow. The ears of men today do not want to hear the truth. As a result, God has withdrawn the truth from utterance and allowed men to run after their own pompous foolishness. True prophecy is not, and never has been, a form of entertainment. If entertainment is what you seek, look for it elsewhere for you will not find it in the pages of Holy Writ.

"I hate...your festivals, says the Lord, and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies" (5:21).

I will send a famine on the land: not a famine of bread, or a thirst for water, but of

hearing the words of the Lord."

Amos (8:11).

In the last days, people will have "a form of godliness," but it will not be based solidly on the Scriptures

2 Timothy 3:15; 4:14

Timothy said it straight. We have arrived at the end.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

This is the lifting of Scripture and applying it to the proper place of The Living Word...

The Mystery of God 'IS' The Living aspect of all times and stations of being... certainly we are witness of this 'The Last of Days'

May we be found faithful in the Prophetical Word spoken then by how we live NOW in It's Truth! Love, Steven

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,186
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

awww......come on......everyone knows that a stoning should be public? :whistling:

YEAH! Just ask Stephen.... :red_smile:

I say to you - do NOT desire the gift of prophecy unless you wish to become a very very unpopular fellow. The ears of men today do not want to hear the truth. As a result, God has withdrawn the truth from utterance and allowed men to run after their own pompous foolishness. True prophecy is not, and never has been, a form of entertainment. If entertainment is what you seek, look for it elsewhere for you will not find it in the pages of Holy Writ.

Why then does Paul write this:

Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy I Cor 14:1

I am concerned that a false concept of what a prophet actually is results in believing that everyone will hate you.

The main premise of prophecy in the NT is to speak forth the Word of God...NOT foretelling the future

The emphasis on prophecy is to FORTHTELL not FORETELL

This dramatic representation of man in torn clothing living in a cave and being persecuted just does not hold up to the

NT definition or Paul is sadly mistaken.