gdemoss

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  448
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

I sort of feel bad for the prophet, or the person who believes they are a prophet, I bet it would be scary to try and get a message out and risk being ridiculed and put under a microscope. I try not to judge others, if someone has a prophecy let them speak, I would not make fun of them or throw stones. I would take it with a grain of salt and see if it comes to pass.

I am sure there are real prophets around, maybe even a few on here. The Holy Spirit does give us gifts. I have yet to discover mine, I just prayed the other day that the Spirit would reveal it to me. I guess I do have a special way of witnessing to people, my approach is a bit bold but loving and patient. My fiance calls me Paul sometimes (even though I am a girl!) maybe I should tell him to call me Paula! LOL! Okay now it sounds like I am boasting!

I do have lots of um...wierd dreams though. Alot of times I know I am dreaming so I just sit and pray/worship God, or I sing. Last night in my dreams I sang really loud to the Lord! I had a beautiful voice!

I would like to know what the difference between prophecy and the Holy Spirit revealing something in Scripture is.

Natalie

Prophecy, real prophecy, can be heard from the pulpits of those who preach Jesus Christ and Him crucified. The OT classic definition of prophecy was an act and a message meant to encourage or correct the people of God. Godly prophecy is never meant to simply titillate the ear, excite the emotions or elevate the messenger. Unfortunately the leaders as well as the people tended to debauch the message and the purpose of the Word of God as time went on. This is as true in the twenty first century as it was in OT times.

"If there is a decay of conscience, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the public press lacks moral discernment, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the church is degenerate and worldly, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the world loses its interest in Christianity, the pulpit is responsible for it. If Satan rules in our halls of legislation, the pulpit is responsible for it. If our politics become so corrupt that their very foundations of our government are ready to fall away, the pulpit is responsible for it."

- Charles Finney

As society becomes more corrupt, God sends an increasingly stronger message. Eventually the harbingers of judgment(*) are seen in the land. Those who deliver strong messages of correction and imminent judgment are subject to extreme social pressure because no bent human society wants to be told to abandon its wickedness.

"Don't tell me how to live my life," is the retort of sinners.

Something must always be done by God to destroy the civilization, the nation or the group. Death thus becomes a blessing and a righteous act of divine choice, albeit one that is exercised with great reluctance on the part of the Most High. For example, it is debatable whether the prophet Jonah ever learned this principle of God's mercy. A prophet, even one of the most respected ones in the OT, is just a man of his time who is delivering a message.

God is not willing to bring judgment upon the earth despite the eagerness of fear mongers to peddle such messages in the media. There is a very fine line between repentance and judgment. The line can be defined by a single heartbeat - either the first of many in a righteous life or the last of many in rebellion. God is the author of life and willing to sustain it, but God values righteousness more than life. The cross is proof of this. Those that scorn it do so at great risk.

Prophecy is thought by many to be the ability to predict the future. It is all of that, but Godly prophecy carries a heavy weight of responsibility with it. That responsibility is to those with whom the prophet lives - in his own time and nation. To that end I believe I may safely say that there are many prophets in the land today. I believe I may also safely say that one doesn't need to be a rocket scientist or an OT prophet to predict God's reaction to the world's rebellion against Him these days. It won't be hugs and kisses.

The purpose of prophecy is and always has been - to choose life and to fear the God who gives it.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

(*) A harbinger is a sign or 'wake-up call'. It's an 'in your face' event of severe emotional impact - warning of worse things to come if the individual or society does not change its direction. Can the reader think of any 'harbingers' which have happened in the past decade or so?

Edited by rjp34652

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

i have the gift of prophesy. God has told me what is to come, He has revealed to me the Mysteries of the Bible, opened up my understanding of them. One will know they have the gift of prophesy when God reveals to them what is to come.

How do you know it is from God?

Jeremiah 23:21

I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.

Matthew 7:22

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord,

have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Always test the spirits, for it could be demons impersonaty Him. if a voice tells you anything that is contrary to Scriptures it is an evil voice and is not from God, but if that voice is teaching you to LOVE ONE ANOTHER, to cease from obeying satan and committings sins against Jesus. If that voice convicts you of your sins, if that voice expresses compassion, if what that voice says will come to pass does come to pass, then it might be from God. satan is not divided against himself, he will not teach you to love others, to not sin, to obey the Word of God.

The biggest way to try the Spirit, is to know and understand that if what they say contradicts even one verse in Scriptures, then it is not of God. Likewise if what you believe contradicts even one verse in Scriptures then what you believe is in error.

^i^

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

now I am curious! Should I PM you?

Is it about Israel? I have a feeling someone is going to bomb them soon.

Israel has always been central in prophesies.

^i^

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

As I sit here reading all of this, I can't help but think about discernment....prophecy....discernment....prophecy.....

1. I regularly feel checked in my spirit to write what I actually think regarding this type of thing

and

2. People seem to want to be prophets....people write that they are prophets and that they have the gift of prophecy

and

3. A prophet would really need to have discernment.....yes? no?

Where is it then?

with love in Christ and feeling just a bit sad about it all

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

There are two separate gifts. The gift of prophecy. The gift of discernment of spirits. According to Hebrews, our senses must be exercised to discern good and evil, and is a mark of a mature Christian. A study of all known biblical prophets reveals that they were all fallible human beings who fell into participating in things that were evil except for Jesus. They were not necessarily the best judge of character. One even made the mistake of listening to another and disobeying God which cost him his life. So I conclude that discernment would be an excellent trait for a prophet and very profitable for him to have but not something that can be said to be an identifying characteristic of all prophets.

As I begin to understand more and more, I tend to side with you that prophet or no prophet we need to simply do that which is necessary and provoke each other unto good works and love. Even if we see the exact events of that which is to come, nothing other than revival of the Holy Spirit in the lives of Gods people will make anything better.

Gary

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

i have the gift of prophesy. God has told me what is to come, He has revealed to me the Mysteries of the Bible, opened up my understanding of them. One will know they have the gift of prophesy when God reveals to them what is to come.

How do you know it is from God?

Jeremiah 23:21

I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.

Matthew 7:22

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord,

have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Funny, I know what is coming too and all I had to do was pick up my Bible turn to the Book of Revelation. As I have said before, I do not believe there are prophets today. I might add. You had better be right about everything that comes out of your mouth and I mean 100% of the time because one thing that is wrong, you are no longer a prophet. :heart:

I agree with both RustyAngel and NCN. :thumbsup: To add to what RustyAngel and NCN have said...

DiscipleDave777 I am concerned with this line of thinking.

2 Pet. 1:19-21

19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed,which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of Godspoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Further... Do not add or take away from the Word...

Deut. 4:2

You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

Deut. 12:32

Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it.

Prov. 30:6

Do not add to His words,
Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar.

Is this a different Gospel?

Gal 1:6-12

6 I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, 7 which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

10 For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.

11 But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ.

A warning...

Rev. 22:18-19

18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

I pray God opens your eyes.

God bless,

GE

• Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Recently a friend of mine mentioned he has had people come up to him to tell him some "new" revelation.

He replied and said, "If it's new it's not true. New revelation? God's revelation is found in the Bible."

There are two separate gifts. The gift of prophecy. The gift of discernment of spirits. According to Hebrews, our senses must be exercised to discern good and evil, and is a mark of a mature Christian. A study of all known biblical prophets reveals that they were all fallible human beings who fell into participating in things that were evil except for Jesus. They were not necessarily the best judge of character. One even made the mistake of listening to another and disobeying God which cost him his life. So I conclude that discernment would be an excellent trait for a prophet and very profitable for him to have but not something that can be said to be an identifying characteristic of all prophets.

As I begin to understand more and more, I tend to side with you that prophet or no prophet we need to simply do that which is necessary and provoke each other unto good works and love. Even if we see the exact events of that which is to come, nothing other than revival of the Holy Spirit in the lives of Gods people will make anything better.

Gary

Gary when I write that I am sad I truly mean it. I do not mean that you are making me sad and further, to the best of my knowledge you

have never stated "I am a prophet".....even tho you do have that big prophetic deadline out there.

Would someone...anyone...please tell me how one can claim to be a prophet and yet NOT have discernment?

You (everyone ... you in the generic sense) simply MUST have discernment first or how would you know God is telling you that

you are a prophet or at least will operate with a prophetic voice

If a person does not have discernment, they are merely fooling themself if they believe themself to be a prophet because God

does not work APART from the mind of the person.

If you do not grasp this, then, you are not a prophet.

I speak plainly...not to hurt or put down...but actually with concern that any should be led astray be the claims of an individual

stating they are a prophet.

I will speak even more plainly now: If I had coffee in my mouth when I read these things I would spit it out. (I often drink

coffee while at the computer...or at least start with a cup) These claims are outrageous and not biblical and God is

not mocked

Anyone who gives a clear understanding of the Word as the Word without personal interpretation, but through proper biblical exegesis

is a prophet according to the NT definition, BEFORE anyone claiming to have a word concerning a future event.

I do believe there are some who do have that gift, but I have not seen it here.

I write the above sincerely and I write it as a warning to those who want to chase after a so called fresh word.

I tell you, the Word of God is ALWAYS fresh...For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart Heb 4:12

God will speak to whom He will speak and He will ONLY speak to those whose heart He trusts...no prophet in the OT had to run around inquiring whether or not someone knew what a prophet was.

Pray for discernment...not so you or anyone can be a prophet, but because deception is the whirlpool sucking people away from the true Gospel

Those who are deceived remain so because they are deceived. That person will usually fight tooth and nail against anyone who

tells them that they are in deception and must leave that which they are enamored of for the truth.

Once the truth comes over the horizon like the sun chasing away the clouds, you understand what deception is and you will

do just about anything to ensure you do not live in that place again.

Sincerity is NOT proof of truth and it does not protect against deception.

A study of all known biblical prophets reveals that they were all fallible human beings who fell into participating in things that were evil except for Jesus.

I do not believe this. Kindly provide what you consider the biblical proof of such a claim . Don't be put off by my words....I am sorry

if I cannot bring myself to put butter on both sides of the toast. I mean no harm nor is that my intent.

So I conclude that discernment would be an excellent trait for a prophet and very profitable for him to have but not something that can be said to be an identifying characteristic of all prophets.

No human being is 100% operating in any gift 100% of the time...disobedience does not equal no discernment.

There is not prophecy without discernment. It simply cannot be...both for the one prophesying and the one receiving

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,135
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  2

If Prophecy is really from God; deliver it. No discernment is needed on your part. You are just a vessel for the delivery; You are not to judge/discern your own prophecy. It is the one who hears these words who must discern if it is from God or not and maybe put it into action. Prophecy must only be given to believers. Tongues is a sign to non believers.

In Christ

Montana Marv