• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/31/1963

When i got married in 2010 I was hoping it would be easier for me to go to church going with somone. I had some bad experiences with churches when i was divorced/single and have been in and out of churches. We joined a baptist church when we first got married, but my heart is really in the charasmatic church, even if i have had numermous setbacks in that denomination, i thought i would go back to my baptist roots-i grew up in a southern baptist church. About a year ago we quit the baptist church and got involved in the assembly of God church. My wife was really liking it as first. But then the pastor did something she didnt agree with. He winded up calling her and she gave him a piece of her mind, Lets just say we will not be going back there. Now we are in church limbo going no where. IM starting to feel distant from God i guess when i went to church it was better. I guess we expect too much from other christians especially church leaders. I wanted it to be a l joint decision with us going. Now she wants to go back to baptist church we just havent took that step yet. Please keep this situation in your prayers. I know we need to be in church. I want to be where the Holy Spirit is moving and active. Im not saying he doesnt move in the baptist church. Thanks for reading this.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

Praying you will find a good church home.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/07/1967

I was once in the same "church limbo" as you. It took praying and visiting some churches to find a place where we felt welcome. Don't give up. Hope you connect with a church you can call home very soon.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I have moved this thread to a more suitable forum.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Todd - I sympathize with your pain and disappointment. I was so burned out by "churchianity" (as I call it) that the thought of going back to a routine service made me feel sick inside. :sad030:

But there is one thing I believe I hear coming through your post that will help you get in touch with God again.

You need to forgive. :th_handshake:

Note that forgiveness does not mean reconciliation. It just means you aren't holding the grudge. The "Church" a long time ago lost track of it's roots and became an institution. With all the reforms various men of God brought back into the "Chruch", none of them were able to break this spirit of institution. And that's why people like us are left broken and fellowship-less from a body of believers.

Also note that the church leaders are broken human beings like the rest of us. "Hurt people hurt people." I know we expect more out of minsters, but - think about it - who is ministering to the ministers? Who is discipling them to grow beyond conventional norms? The system to become a pastor trains you in theology, not character-building, not even faith-building.

So all that is to say - there is room to have mercy and compassion on the oppressors, for they have been trained to operate in a broken system with broken means that goes back for centuries.

Blessings on your journey!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  18

I tried out Baptist, Catholic and Presbyterian churches before finally settling on the Assemblies of God Church. The Baptist church I tried out actually drove me away from God for awhile because of how I was treated. I have written about the story on here once before, but the short version they forcibly removed a communion wafer from my hand and sternly told me that rite is for members only and I could not partake. After that I went probably 4 years without stepping foot in a church.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

When i got married in 2010 I was hoping it would be easier for me to go to church going with somone. I had some bad experiences with churches when i was divorced/single and have been in and out of churches. We joined a baptist church when we first got married, but my heart is really in the charasmatic church, even if i have had numermous setbacks in that denomination, i thought i would go back to my baptist roots-i grew up in a southern baptist church. About a year ago we quit the baptist church and got involved in the assembly of God church. My wife was really liking it as first. But then the pastor did something she didnt agree with. He winded up calling her and she gave him a piece of her mind, Lets just say we will not be going back there. Now we are in church limbo going no where. IM starting to feel distant from God i guess when i went to church it was better. I guess we expect too much from other christians especially church leaders. I wanted it to be a l joint decision with us going. Now she wants to go back to baptist church we just havent took that step yet. Please keep this situation in your prayers. I know we need to be in church. I want to be where the Holy Spirit is moving and active. Im not saying he doesnt move in the baptist church. Thanks for reading this.

One needs to remind themselves that "A Church is not a museum for the Saints, but a Hospital for US sinners."

I have been to many, many, Churches....I come from a Southern Baptist background and I have gone to every type of Christian Church out there to include the Holy Roller Centers, and a few times to a Jewish synagog, I had Jewish friends as a child, still do..come to think of it... Some preached the Word of God and some preached something else. For a short time I was lead to attend two churches, pretty sure God was using me to weed out some bad seeds, seeing that I was used to expose that Pastor and he went to Jail. I have been referred to as being one to God's "Frozen Chosen" at a few of those churches, because I was not as charismatic as they would have liked to seen. Being a former military intel officer, I'm not one to jump up and down and wave my hands around, too busy listening, watching and keeping a low profile, which is hard to do...when everyone around you has been slain in the spirit.....

Read your Bible, meditate on God's Word...Trust God, that He will deal with those who twist his WORD for their use, be aware of MAN for all have sinned, never put any man on a pedestal.

Dennis

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  10

I didn't go to church for a long time myself and went back 3 years ago. I grew up going to a baptist church and ended up going to a non-denominational contemporary church. Maybe you should try a contemporary church or a non denominational church or both. I hope you and your wife find a church soon. You just have to visit churches and some churches have websites you can check out.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  12/31/1963

Thought i would post a update: Last week my wife told me she wanted to go to church Sunday at the aog church. I told her i had been praying and I wanted to go back. So we went Sunday. Everyone shook our hand and got some hugs too, even the pastor was glad to see us, it was a good service too. This is nothing other than a miracle in my book! I plan us to be going back and being regulars again. There were a couple of people who didnt come shake our hand, but I pray tht we will gain the ground we lost, and move forward. Thank you all so much for your encouraging words and your prayers as well.

Richard