• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

A question asked by a member of my home group the other day, and one I want to discuss further.

At first I thought, no brainer, of course He is not. But when I started thinking I saw that (as with a lot of scripture), the answer is not as cut and dried as one might think.

For instance, the statement, "I am not just hearing God when I pray", could mean He is silent, or we are deaf?

As I say, not as easy to answer as one might think.

For instance, the statement, "I am not just hearing God when I pray", could mean He is silent, or we are deaf?

The answer is not that clear cut, and I think it could be a combination of both sometimes.

I keep in mind that Jesus deliberately waited until four days after Lazarus died before raising him from the dead. That didn't make sense to some at that time, but Jesus knew what He was doing. It was still frustrating for everyone else, though.

There may be times when God is silent on a certain issue for what ever reasons He may have that He chooses not to share with us. There are many things we don't understand on this side of eternity. Such is the situation with a couple of things in my own life. I have prayed and done "everything" else I know of, and still there's silence. It gets to the point where you start to wonder, "Am I waiting on the Lord, or is He waiting on me?" I have tried everything within my ability to address the issues, and have been met only with doors slammed in my face. Prayers in other areas are answered, needs supplied, and so I continue on - but still wonder about the silence in those other areas.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Hmmm is the Lord really silent or are we not hearing that still quiet voice? Elijah never heard Him in the earthquake or the fire but in the still quiet voice

I think most of us talk to much instead of waiting and listening. ...just my 2 cents worth

Hmmm is the Lord really silent or are we not hearing that still quiet voice? Elijah never heard Him in the earthquake or the fire but in the still quiet voice

I think most of us talk to much instead of waiting and listening. ...just my 2 cents worth

That's kind of what I am thinking, but as I said, I don't think there is a definitive answer, and it will vary from believer to beleiver

Is God ever silent?

Yes.

James 4

3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.

Well There You Go.... God Speaking

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. Luke 4:4

God is not hung up us asking for our desires or pleasure......................... Read the whole context of James and see what James was referring to. Jesus said God gives good things to those that ask, and God gives us the desire of our hearts.

Mike, care to explain that a bit more? What scripture are you referring to, Romans?

See what I mean by the OP being not such an easy question?

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Well I'll see your two cents and raise a nickel, WIP. He is always there for us.....we just don't realize it at times because, as you said, we're too busy listening to ourselves. :mgbowtie:

James 4

3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.

God is not hung up us asking for our desires or pleasure......................... Read the whole context of James and see what James was referring to. Jesus said God gives good things to those that ask, and God gives us the desire of our hearts.

What if those deires are selfish in nature? What if they are contrary to the Living Word?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

A question asked by a member of my home group the other day, and one I want to discuss further.

At first I thought, no brainer, of course He is not. But when I started thinking I saw that (as with a lot of scripture), the answer is not as cut and dried as one might think.

Hi Fez!

Great question, Fez, it will be interesting to hear other's insights, looking forward to it.

Time for me is limited this morning to search scripture, but here is my take on it:

God is silent sometimes for probably several reasons. One of which is how do we respond to Him when He is silent, will we remain faithful to Him? Will we make the right choice? This is an unpopular belief, but God does test us (not tempt as He does not tempt us), yet He does test us, and in some cases maybe that is what He is doing. Job is a good example of a person being tested, having silence from God and remaining faithful in all of his afflictions, of course God eventually does answer Job but not at first.

Other posts have mentioned praying and James, that topic is more of the person who doubts when they pray, the silence from God is the answer when we pray and doubt or ask with wrong motivations.

Blessings.