preconditioned to being miserable.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

I am really curious because for the life of me I am now quite puzzled. I have had a rough year it all started in a sequence of events from Jan 2012 and is going on straight through to October.

Now in November I should be happy - my family issues have calmed down and after months and months of interviews I have finally landed a good job. However I have had my prayers answered and I got the job I dreamed of and I can some how still not be happy for some reason. I am some what preconditioned to being miserable and I am now worrying that this could be the sign of something more severe than just a rough year?

How have you all been able to snap out of a depressive state?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Maybe there is something more under the surface that your not seeing. Pray that God search your heart and reveal the issues unto you. I'm half miserable right beside you but I do have reasons to be. Of course Paul said that if we have hope in this life only then we are of all people most miserable.

Gary

I dont know what it is but I cant allow myself to be happy - now I have all reasons in the world to be happy. I prayed for this dream job and I got it and now I am still sort seeking that thrill moment. I understand that for every rough time I have had in my life I have drastically improved - I became Christian in this manner. However I am now negative and always gloomy. I cant even be happy when the blessings happen.

To be honest I am just worried I am now really in the truest form becoming depressed. When I should be happy I cant even feel that emotion any more.

Edited by freeinnocentspirit

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Are you studying the word and expanding your faith in our Lord? The psalms are always a good place to seek answers when dealing with things in life. I simply like to meditate on some simple truth about God and I feel much better many times. I ask him regularly to fill me with his Spirit that I might have the fruit of the Spirit about me of love, joy, peace, patience, meekness, self-control, goodness, gentleness and faith. I can most generally come out of any funk I am feeling by doing so. In the case of my current condition, I have things in life that carry much sorrow with them so my emotional state is hit and miss. Right now I am able to smile. I am praying for you.

Gary

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

Hi Freeinnocentspirit,

I have not had the opportunity to get to know you, but it is a pleasure to meet you now. I know that just because everything seems like it's in order, it is not really. I relate this to when Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees "Blind Pharisees, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also. "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like the whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside you are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness. (Mathew 23:26-27) You see, even when things on the outside appear to be fine, it's what's on the inside that really matters. The matters of the heart. You made a comment about being in a depressive state? I know that it's a very hard place to be in, motivation, self worth, and happiness are driven by nothing but dead desires. Maybe refining yourself, set some time aside for you and the Lord because God can do the things that Man cannot will themselves to do. Have Him place the passions and Love back into your heart. Keep your mind, heart, and soul on God....pull together all your strength and pull yourself as far as you can go, and from there the Lord will pick you, bring you peace, peace of Mind and peace with yourself and others. I know it is easier said than done, I get that, but you have got to start somewhere. Take a leap of faith, trust in God that He will restore you.

God will keep you in perfect peace, trust in Him for he is an eternal rock, a foundation that in unbreakable, standing from everlasting to everlasting (Isaiah 26:3-4) So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10) These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. (John 16:33)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,200
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

You may think I'm being silly, but one thing you need to make sure you're getting about 8 hours of sleep a night. A few people I know normally sleep only six, but the lack of sleep is very detrimental to mental health....... and our population in general is sleep deprived from what I read.

I started off as a seeker to faith and understanding of what values I hold dear in my life. So that where I began to feel as though ok I am seeking two things God and a Job and literally in that order. However now that I have it there is this overwhelming feeling of a void in my life.

I am trying so many routes to breaking out of this cold hearted mode its not working at all. I dont want to be like this during Christmas or New Years! (I have frowned at the Christmas decorations even!) I landed a job after a good year and a half out of work - you'd think I would be rejoicing and smiling. No not me.

Edited by freeinnocentspirit

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

freeinnocentspirit,

I actually just stumbled upon this forum site because I was looking for a way to express almost exactly what you seem to be describing. Through this past year, for several reasons I've felt myself slipping away from the Lord, most especially as I've been continually and so incredibly let down by my Christian friends for actions they've done or didn't do. I really expected them to be more wise than they were, but I was so shocked when I realized all along I was being duped with their disregard. I hit an unbearable low in my life and many months later I still cannot seem to emerge from this depressive rut. In turn, I put up barriers because I feel I cannot trust people anymore, especially Christian sisters and brothers, and the cycle continues to spiral downward. Similar episodes like this have occurred multiple times previously in my life to this degree.

It's really unhealthy, I know, but nothing I do seems to satisfy. Dare I say it, not even God has seemed to satisfy. Nothing. I have no idea what to do: I don't feel like praying, when I try to pray or read in the Word I lose focus... I have nowhere else to turn. When I listen to my friends praise Christ or my pastor preach, their words seem to bounce off me. I've lost feeling or desire, not just in my faith but in everything else. I've tried to pinpoint the exact source(s) but I don't know what to do about it.

Everything seems to be picking up in my life--getting the job I wanted, being admitted into professional school--but I'm still at a loss as to why I cannot seem to pick myself up.

Please pray for me, especially during this Christmas season.

I started off as a seeker to faith and understanding of what values I hold dear in my life. So that where I began to feel as though ok I am seeking two things God and a Job and literally in that order. However now that I have it there is this overwhelming feeling of a void in my life.

I am trying so many routes to breaking out of this cold hearted mode its not working at all. I dont want to be like this during Christmas or New Years! (I have frowned at the Christmas decorations even!) I landed a job after a good year and a half out of work - you'd think I would be rejoicing and smiling. No not me.

Have you tried painting a smile upon your face :D Seriously begin to smile often.

Also be sure to spend part of every day helping and praying for someone. This always will make you better hearted.

I would add this in addition to what others have said:

How's your fellowship situation?

Are you able to go to church, a home group, or a Bible study of some kind where you can be around other believers, or are you isolated?

Being isolated is not a good thing, though time alone with the Lord for prayer and Bible study are certainly helpful. Sometimes its a "season" that lasts for a time, but too much of a good thing can be detrimental to our spiritual health. We tend to get lost in ourselves way too easily, and doing things for others is something that helps to break out of the depressive thought cycle.

Bottom line: Find something you can do to serve others. If you can't find something at church, then look for something at local charities, food banks, shelters, etc. I found a place to serve at a couple of 12-Step meetings after taking a friend who was nervous about going alone but who wanted to get on a road to being sober. Encouraging others and being able to listen and point others to Christ keeps me from getting too into "me" and what I want, etc. It was answer to prayer because churches in my area that I can get to don't have much going on during the week -- but there are 12-Step meetings everywhere.