IGNORED

estranged relative

Guest robinettel

Guest robinettel

Maybe someone can give me some sound advice on this. Here's my situation: I live over 800 miles away from my hometown. Every year for Thanksgiving, myself, hubby, & children go to my hometown to spend the holiday with my family who lives there. We always stay with my sister, who is a strong Christian but, in my opinion, is somewhat flaked out. (Hope I can get away w/ using that word. I have a reason for using it) The reason why I say that is she bounces from church to church with a group of her female friends (Her hubby is not a Christian & her 30yr. marriage is on the rocks & has been for years...one of her good friends I mentioned also has a marriage on the verge of divorce). My sister always says "God told me..." about just about everything. She says God basically told her to not

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  478
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/06/1971

That's sad. I don't like to here about folks being alone for the holidays! That must be pretty depressing for him. You obviously can't help how the other relatives feel about your brother, but that doesn't stop you from visiting him! It might be best to just spend time with him separately, at least that's what I'd do... But then I'm the type that would do just about anything to avoid ruffling any feathers. Good luck, I'll pray for you & your family!

Guest robinettel

Thank you very much for praying for my situation. Some positive possible solution that may be brewing: my 'estranged' brother may be coming out here for the holiday. If so, we will celebrate here. I know it will break my sister's heart to hear we won't be coming out to her place for the holiday. (But she will not be alone...) But how do you decide? To spend time with a possible non-Christian (who when he was here visiting, he came to church with us every time & now says he wants to move out here to our city...he felt at home & accepted here, I believe) or spend time with my sister who I spend every Thanksgiving with...?

One thing I will add is that it is very difficult in order to spend time with my brother separately because of the fact that he lives in temporary housing right now that is not suitable for having a gathering of sorts....

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,244
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

From here it looks like your brother needs you. Maybe spiritually. Consider that maybe God is working in him also.

I would not leave my brother alone on a holiday. We have had to do this with a brother in law, so I know what your talking about here. It is hard, but your brother may need you now, and it sounds like your sister needs a wake up to me.

But that's just me, decide for yourself.

Guest robinettel

Just to give you an update on this situation:

We will be staying at home for the holiday & we bought my brother a plane ticket out here to be with us for those few days.

I also contacted my sister, via email (haven't heard a response yet...), & told her we aren't coming out there & why. I also extended the invitation to her & her husband.

So we shall see what happens!

:)

It was a difficult decision. My hubby & 2 girls & I decided together. It was unanimous among them. I was the only one having a problem with it because I don't want to hurt my sister.

Thansk so much for your prayers!!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  349
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Just to give you an update on this situation:

We will be staying at home for the holiday & we bought my brother a plane ticket out here to be with us for those few days.

I also contacted my sister, via email (haven't heard a response yet...), & told her we aren't coming out there & why. I also extended the invitation to her & her husband.

So we shall see what happens! 

:24:

It was a difficult decision. My hubby & 2 girls & I decided together. It was unanimous among them. I was the only one having a problem with it because I don't want to hurt my sister.

Thansk so much for your prayers!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Awesome course of action within a tough situation!!! Good call!!! :21:

In situations such as these the best thing to do is stand up for what is felt to be right, if not what is believed in. God may indeed be at work within not only your brother's life but your own. Pray about this continuously and hopefully your sister too may come to open her heart as well as mind upon this matter as well.

God Bless.

With Love In Christ,

Danielle