• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Since we're talking about Jonah, here is my little take on the matter:

Jonah ran away from God's call most likely because he hated the Assyrians - they were pagans and enemies of Israel. As we see him speaking later, he knew that if the people repented the Lord would withhold judgment, and this he did not want to see happen.

It is interesting to note that when the storm hit, and the men of the boat discovered Jonah was to blame, they tried to save Jonah's life and only threw him overboard after all other courses of action failed. A lesson to Jonah in mercy? (And it is interesting to note that even through Jonah's rebellion, the men of the ship turned to the Lord in worship from the experience. Hmmmm.)

Now, even though Jonah obeyed the Lord after that, his heart was not into it. Notice his message to the people was not a plea for repentance! I mean, have you ever heard of a "In so many days you are all going to die" message leading anyone to repentance? Jonah didn't even call for repentance of tell the people which God to turn to. (But one does wonder if God covered some missing parts of his words by how Jonah must have appeared after being in the fish for three days.)

After he finished giving the message, the Scriptures do state he waited above the city because he wanted to see Nineveh destroyed. Based on what he said, he could care less about his reputation, he just did not want to see Nineveh, the capitol of Assyria, spared.

So what I see is this- Jonah questioning God's judgment, outright, with anger. God having patience with Jonah, and reasoning with him.

It's kind of extraordinary.

Yes, Sean! We seem to have this image of God that's much like Zeus with a lightning bolt ready to throw it at anyone who dares act against Him; but He really isn't like that. When the Lord strikes us for disobedience and the like it isn't because He's easily offended, it is because He is disciplining us to weed sin - attitudes and behaviors - out of our lives.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Another thought about Jonah -- notice that when he's yelling at God, he says that he knew from the start that God would have compassion on Nineveh, and that's why he tried to run away and not obey.

Exactly! Jonah wanted justice, his justice on Nineveh, and he knew God would have compassion, and that's the reason he argued and questioned. God had to teach Jonah that he was helpless without the Lord first, before Jonah could walk on the path God had set.

Having said that.

If we truly live with God in us, and us in Him. If we truly live under the open heaven the blood of the cross tore open for us, the less we would feel the need to question.

nebula yeah. That was my take on it. I just found the level at which Jonah was blunt with God startling, especially after God just had him swallowed by a giant fish. But even more interesting and amazing to me was God's response.

It's easy for us to judge Jonah, but consider how many times we have to repeat a lesson before we "get it" in our hearts?

Yes, God has a lot more patience than we give Him credit for.

And of course, it's easier to work with someone who is honest in his anger or disobedience than someone who tries to hide or deny it. Those are the ones the Lord has to be a bit more rough with.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

Jake, you said, 'Jonah waited for the destruction of Nineveh and did not anticipate the repentance.' But I think he did anticipate the repentance (based on this verse: Ah, LORD, was not this what I said when I was still in my country? Therefore I fled preciously to Tarnish for I know that You are gracious and merciful God, who relents from doing harm.). My belief is that Jonah expected God would show mercy on a city Jonah did not want to be shown mercy, so he balked against God's plan at every step.

Looking at your thought I think you were right about that. But, what do you have to say about Jonah going out and sitting on the east side of the city. awaiting what might become of the city. (Jonah 4:5) I believe in his heart, Jonah knew that God was merciful, but his pride of "authority" (signified as a prophet) overstepped what he knew of the LORD.

Bad choice of words on my part and I apologize, I will edit my post, thank you for the very good question by the way :) And for your thoughts

All I can think is that he was hoping God would destroy the city anyway. And maybe that he wanted a ringside seat when the destruction came.

On a tangent, isn't is something that Jesus later spoke of Jonah, saying that as Jonah had been three days and three nights in the belly of the fish, so would the Messiah be three days and nights in the heart of the earth?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

Jake, you said, 'Jonah waited for the destruction of Nineveh and did not anticipate the repentance.' But I think he did anticipate the repentance (based on this verse: Ah, LORD, was not this what I said when I was still in my country? Therefore I fled preciously to Tarnish for I know that You are gracious and merciful God, who relents from doing harm.). My belief is that Jonah expected God would show mercy on a city Jonah did not want to be shown mercy, so he balked against God's plan at every step.

Looking at your thought I think you were right about that. But, what do you have to say about Jonah going out and sitting on the east side of the city. awaiting what might become of the city. (Jonah 4:5) I believe in his heart, Jonah knew that God was merciful, but his pride of "authority" (signified as a prophet) overstepped what he knew of the LORD.

Bad choice of words on my part and I apologize, I will edit my post, thank you for the very good question by the way :) And for your thoughts

All I can think is that he was hoping God would destroy the city anyway. And maybe that he wanted a ringside seat when the destruction came.

On a tangent, isn't is something that Jesus later spoke of Jonah, saying that as Jonah had been three days and three nights in the belly of the fish, so would the Messiah be three days and nights in the heart of the earth?

Yes, this is found in :

Mathew 12:40

"For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Curious, as to why brought this up? For obvious reason, since it references Jonah, but your thoughts?

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

Oh, I was just thinking that for all Jonah messed up and argued with God, yet God used him as a type of Jesus.

nebula yeah, I am definitely not judging Jonah. Honestly I found the chapter encouraging to me personally which is why I brought it up.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that about you. I meant people in general. (I was raised hearing sermons and commentaries on stuff like this.)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I belive we can question God but God has the right to do His will in our lives reguardless of how we question Him, afterall he bought us with the price of His sons blood!

I belive we can question God but God has the right to do His will in our lives reguardless of how we question Him, afterall he bought us with the price of His sons blood!

Welcome~!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

Sheya Joie brought up Job in an earlier post. Questioning God didn't work out so well for him. :taped: