Psychology useful or not?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Would you as a Christian go to a Psychologist? How can they help anyone.

How can dealing with the psychi help anyone and not touching on the spiritual.

Would you as a Christian go to a Psychologist?

Yes.

How can they help anyone.

It's hard to understand if you've never been to one.

If your heads not right, chances are your spirit is in the same condition.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,995
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.71
  • Days Won:  226

I would only go to a qualified Christian Psychologist.I would want recommendations.That Christian Psychologist should be eager to pray for you during your session.If not I would question that persons commitment to Christ.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Would you as a Christian go to a Psychologist? How can they help anyone.

If the psychiatric help is from a Christian, both get dealt with.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Psychologists (who aren't allowed to give out meds) and Psychiatrists (who are allowed to use meds) and even CSW type therapists can help Christians and non Christians. I know this because I have been helped by them, and because I was almost one myself.

Now you ask how, and I say in many ways. Often the person needs spiritual counseling as well as non spiritual counseling. You ask how or why? One example is a young person who was raised by adults, that needed help themselves but didn't get it, and they raised a young person who has no self esteem. Some of these people cut themselves to try and make the mental pain go away. Others abuse drugs for the same reasons.

Then we have young women who were raised to believe it's ok for a bf or a husband to hit her. God never said a man has a right to beat on a woman. But many were raised to think so, and they need to discuss it with counselors who were trained to help them. Do these people need prayer, yes of course. But often that isn't enough. Especially if the abusive man is smart enough to pray with his wife, making her think he's doing all he can, and that God is allowing him to hit her because she has done something wrong. And there are times where all she has done wrong was failed to keep the kids quiet while he watches the game on TV. Such women need help from psychologists, psychiatrists, and other trained therapists.

I've seen teenaged girls who's pain comes from a well meaning father, who doesn't compliment his daughter when she comes home from school with a B. Instead of telling her well done, he says something like, "next time make that an A". To the girl she interprets that as "I'm not good enough for my Father. He doesn't love me because I can't get all A's". So to lessen the pain she feels she might cut herself, do drugs, or even become promiscuous. And I've seen this in Christian and non Christian families alike.

I can go on and on. But hopefully this is enough.

I have been to a secular Psychiatrist and a Christian Psychologist, I didn't feel like I was helped, but I am considering going to another Psychiatrist which my HMO should pay for.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

As a Christian, I go to my pastor. I would not go near any secular counsellor or psychologist for any advice. As well meaning as it may be, it is still worldly advice...and not what my Father in Heaven has in mind for me. A pastor (hopefully in most cases) speaks with wisdom, and is often a channel God works through to speak to those who love Him.

Psychology, in my experience, is a joke. And I have had my experiences with them...both as friends, and as an advocate for a patient. Most of their theory goes completely against Biblical advice.

As a Christian, I go to my pastor. I would not go near any secular counsellor or psychologist for any advice. As well meaning as it may be, it is still worldly advice...and not what my Father in Heaven has in mind for me. A pastor (hopefully in most cases) speaks with wisdom, and is often a channel God works through to speak to those who love Him.

Psychology, in my experience, is a joke. And I have had my experiences with them...both as friends, and as an advocate for a patient. Most of their theory goes completely against Biblical advice.

Thanks for your input BFP.

I have been to a secular Psychiatrist and a Christian Psychologist, I didn't feel like I was helped, but I am considering going to another Psychiatrist which my HMO should pay for.

There's nothing wrong with that.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,995
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.71
  • Days Won:  226

What if the illness requires medication?Your pastor certainly can not administer that.I have been to pastors who were a nightmare for advise.