On Mental Illness:'Christians Should Not Be Afraid Of Medicine&#39

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

Man, I remember in 2003 I started getting depressed and it was sticking around for awhile, and typical of me (to avoid doctors) after 7 months of it, I caved and went in to see one. Right on the spot I was given a prescription for what I knew nothing of (it was Effexor) one of those anti depression type drugs. The only way I could describe the feeling (for me) was the absence of a dark cloud (not the presence of joy) or anything like that. Besides, who can actually make a pill that can equal (in us) that which our Lord is to us? 

But I felt a little strange (as if I was devoid of emotion) while on it.

It turned out (as I started to become sicker) it was finally discovered that I really had walking Pneumonia. That was my true diagnosis. I never even needed this drug for depression. I was feeling depressed because it had been wreaking havoc in my system for so long and my inability to shake it and push through it resulted in depression. Just a symptom of being ill (and not knowing it) for so long. The effort it took me trying to get through the typical day (without any physical energy) and for so long (kind of thing).

But now this stuff was in my system and I had no absolutely no clue that trying to get off of it (for me) would be a living hell. My with drawl symptoms were nightmares. When I say nightmares, I mean far worse then those Freddy Krugger type nightmares in that horro movie released back in the 80s. And likewise when I going through this time I honestly couldn't discern dream from reality then. Never in my life had I experienced something like that. So I had to get on the internet and find out the best way to get off of it because my doctor was useless, saying "never heard of that". Where I recognized that my sanity seemed became an issue again. I resented that. I told the doctor that many thousands of others were saying the same (as I am telling him) The doctor's response was, Oh don't listen to anyone on the internet because they don't know what they are talking about.

But I was like, Oh yeah? and YOU did?? You misdiagnosed me, and mis prescribed and those on the internet are describing the very thing I am experiencing through your incompetence? And its THEY don't know what they are talking about?? No wonder I avoid you people (relearned my lesson again).

And I have always had a distrust of doctors (from past experiences) and those that just keep following after. So I could have kicked myself for caving and going in the first place. Because if I thought I was depressed (then) I hadn't seen nothing yet. Because it took me many months to find the right way off of those things (without losing my sanity). And it wasn't (at all) that this stuff  was addicting, it was the absolutely terrifying side effects I was experiencing while trying to cease from taking them. I don't what those things were doing in (and to) my mind, but all I knew is I have never in my life experienced the kind of bloody nightmares (along with an inability to discern them reality) while on them. And that's no exaggeration. That's one thing those who have that particular side effect (which kicked in for me also) after about a week of ceasing from them can relate with one another on. This in spite of a very gradual and careful weaning (to the point of ridiculous). You can typically find them going into detail trying to get others to understand what it was that actually blew their mind. Because there was just nothing to be compared to it. I knew they spoke the truth (whereas the so called doctor) was trying to convince me otherwise. It was no more their imagination (then it was my own). I believed them because it was my own, and I don't typically don't dream as I have shared before. But these? They were one of the hardest things (in my entire life) to endure through, to be quite honest.

After seven days of being off them, these insane nightmares started, and honestly if they were just one thing, they were absolutely terrifying. Now I am an insomniac (typically) and so I can stay up for days at a time. So I really only needed to endure three of these nightmares in the end. And because I would only go to sleep (but not without a fight against doing so) just three nights of those seven while with drawling from it. It was inescapable. And I understood (from others experiences) that this could go on anywhere from seven days (to a month) even longer. I was hoping for my lucky seven. By the third nights sleep (if you would even call it that) I was fried. I was  bawling my eyes out, telling the Lord I cannot do this, I just cant. I do not want to return to these things (and be a slave to them) simply to avoid these with drawling side effects. And that had become my last nightmare (I was done). I wont describe the nightmares though, because there hasn't been a horror movie to their equals made. Worst of all, I had lost the ability (while having them) to discern between reality (and dream). These two had become so absolutely blurred (while having them) which made them far more terrifying. Was I awake, or was I asleep? Did that just happen?

God gave me a sound mind, the doctors (in my case) gave me whatever that was. In this case I was mis diagnosed, but that sure wasn't the first time. Other times (prior to this) has caused me to distrust them. Once, when I was in a lot of pain (and for which) I don't mind them so much for that. I was prescribed a deadly combination (one of the side effects being suicidal thoughts). And man, did I. I was already meditating on just how I would do it till I called in and asked what is in this stuff? I don't know what is worse the physical pain or the emotional pain. But I was told that was mis prescribed and a deadly combination and was told to immediately cease those also.

Just bad advice too. Like when I had lost my six year old daughter Emily, because her doctor felt she could wait 24 hours to be seen, but she didn't have that long. (another long story)

So I have had some bad experiences with doctors concerning right diagnoses, bad advice, and bad drug combinations etc (many of which) before these few (shared) have gone unmentioned.

I have a sort of a doctor phobia (to a certain degree). If God wont take care of it, I will absolutely fret having to actually go. But it has to be above and beyond the pain I am unable to endure. And I live in pain everyday, because of my spine, but when those levels are raised (to the point) I contemplate a doctor then I get scared because I am pretty much scared of them. I will fret having to actually consider going to one because they have honestly caused me more pain and worse things to come upon me then any actual wellness.

At least in my own experience anyways.

Yes,I have gotten some really bad advise for some family members.Yes,long sad story.Misdiagnosis can be a very bad thing.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  5

Natural treatment is the way to go. I was on meds for many years and was so sick of taking them and resulted in me abusing them, so I started to discover that you could treat just about anything with medicinal plants. The problem with prescription drugs are the side effects, and if you stop taking them you might be worse off then you were before. Although if you are going to go the natural way, slowly diminish your intake of meds and replace them with a homeopathic substitute (important to consult your doctor first about your decision if you want to go that route). 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  616
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  3

utube the history of medicine, Its really interesting how much it has changed over the last 100 yrs, managing peoples health through medicine seems to be where the moneys at, curing people has no profit

Natural treatment is the way to go. I was on meds for many years and was so sick of taking them and resulted in me abusing them, so I started to discover that you could treat just about anything with medicinal plants. The problem with prescription drugs are the side effects, and if you stop taking them you might be worse off then you were before. Although if you are going to go the natural way, slowly diminish your intake of meds and replace them with a homeopathic substitute (important to consult your doctor first about your decision if you want to go that route). 

Yes,that can be a very dangerous turn to take without a professional opinion.It depends on the illness.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  5

Yes,that can be a very dangerous turn to take without a professional opinion.It depends on the illness.

Yes, It seems as though that the treatment of "mental illness" is best suitable for the substitute of homeopathic products, depending on the mental degree though... There is one treatment that is good for all illnesses, and that is green smoothies... 

Yes, It seems as though that the treatment of "mental illness" is best suitable for the substitute of homeopathic products, depending on the mental degree though... There is one treatment that is good for all illnesses, and that is green smoothies... 

Green smoothies?Please tell :grin:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Closing for mod review, we are not medical professionals, and I am concerned about some of the advice.

I suggest we add prayer to the list.