• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  460
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1990

Well I was walking through wal-mart and while me and my mother were checking out I needed to ask the cashier a question. I called the cashier "ma'am". The cashier immediately looked discontent and sarcastically angry. My mother immediately corrected me and said "Thank you sir". He smiled kindly at her and gave me a sneer. The "man" had full on foundation, mascara, pencil eyebrows, lipstick and his hair was very well done to look like a woman. But he wanted to be called a man instead of a woman.

First question: Any thoughts about this moment (yes this happened in real life)?

Second question: Do you think this could be an example of the gender neutrality that is trying the spread across america at the moment?

Third question: This is an example of an "effeminate" male correct? Would he be an "abomination" as stated in scripture?

Maybe I should restate the third question: Would his actions be considered an "abomination"?

When I stated he I meant his actions which unfortunately does label a person. Normally when a person is repetitive in stealing he is then labeled a thief. So a person's actions does in some way determine how we label a person. But in this case with the comments of remembering that he is human, show compassion and so on I think maybe my word choice has thrown some people off. Or better yet maybe I should have said are his actions unrighteous? I did not know people had a reservation about the word abomination and when it is used. While I don't use the word freely if the actions are stated in scripture as such then I generally believe that is how the actions should be perceived. Any way do you think is actions or choices are an abomination which is something that does cause disgust?

Edited by revolutionist90

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

I think make up on women is silly to begin with. I can see it for being in front of the camera like a tv anchor or actor or an actor on stage, but as you stated it, that is just too much. It does seem to be more and more popular though. It seems that the distinction between men and women is getting blurred.

Actually I agree, I do not think in general, that most people have an improved appearance with make up. I guess it is a matter of taste, but I would never paint a tree blue, just because I like the color, I think trees are beautiful as God made them. In the case of the Walmart employee, I think his expectations are not realistic, if he wants to step outside the norm, he cannot reasonably expect to be treated in ways that a 'normal' person would be.

However, I do thing this blurs the distinction between genders and I know some people think that is a good thing, I so not. To add a little perspective to this, I would say that is is equivalent to women getting tatoos, since that was once the pervue of men only (at least in the states) or perhaps rarely that of those outside of normal, polite society, prostitutes, side show 'freaks' and the like. But this shows also, that societies change and acceptance eventually occurs, one day makeup on men might be as common and acceptable as tatoos are on women now.

Is that man effeminate? I would have to say "yes" definetly, and offer the evidence of the mistaken identification of the gender.

We should keep in mind that while the fellow's behavior is a bit outside what most would consider "normal" he is still a human being for whom Christ died. The lost are going to act, well, lost whether the behavior is an abomination or not.

Edited by walla299

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I think that if the man's intent is to look like a woman, it is sinful. It is not the make up in and of itself that is sinful, but the attitude of the heart that governs its' use. Same goes for any way we cover or adorn our bodies.

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  539
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,846
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  226
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Make up on both genders is nothing new.... a few hundred years ago both men and women painted their faces ( usually with lead paint that eventually killed them but they didnt know the dangers then ) It was not considered at all unusual and indeed it would have been considered very " common " and " not the actions of a gentleman or gentlewoman " to go in public without painting their faces and any other art of the body that could be seen. It is a fashion statment more than anything else and you normally find that those ( both men and women ) that feel the need to wear a lot of artificial " makeup " are insecure people who want to hide the real person from the world in fear of getting hurt .

Pray for them.

I am sorry you had that experience though as it must have been embarrasing

I think that if the man's intent is to look like a woman, it is sinful. It is not the make up in and of itself that is sinful, but the attitude of the heart that governs its' use. Same goes for any way we cover or adorn our bodies.

I sort of agree and sort of do not. The heart is indeed, where the largest concern lies. It is hard for me to imagine, that if a man were to, for example, shave all of his body hair, get breast augmentation, long hair in a nice 'do', put on lipstick, rouge, mascara, eye liner, false eylashes and a skirt, that his intention is anything other that trying to look like a woman. Where that line is crossed I do not know.

However, it seems to me that the manner of dress for the believer male of female, should be one of restraint, our beauty is supposed to be inward, not showy. I will admit to hypocrisy here. While I do not dress up except at weddings and funerals, I do comb my hair occasionally, and even manage to shave about once a week. But my real hypocrisy is that I would rather drive a Corvette that a pickup truck, based on looks. Same thing I think, Vanity, even if it isn't for showing off others, focusing on appearance even for one's self, is distorting what is important.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I don't know where we disagree, lol.

I don't know where we disagree, lol.

Okay, it is subtle. We do agree on the heart matter, so we agree more that we disagree for sure. Where I either object, or clarify, I suppose depends on what you meant. I would say that dressing up for show, is a sinful action, you might say that is in the heart, and I would agree. However, one wears gold rings and braided hair (or whatever the modern day equivalent is) they may well do so, without a thought of even thinking about their own motives, "this is just how I dress". Where it get's sticky, is that you can do something with a clear conscience and no evil thoughts, and still be disobedient.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

My opinion on this: he's trying to hide his true self behind the make-up. (He would not admit that if asked; nor might he be consciously thinking this, but he is.)

While yes, seeing such things is painful and/or disgusting, we can choose to be angry and point fingers, or we can have compassion on the lost soul trapped in the prison of self-hatred.