• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/31/1982

My family have recently suffered a huge loss.My younger sister's baby boy Damian was born on the 01/03/2013 and he was such a blessing to all of us.I enjoyed every minute I spend and held him in my arms,sadly he passed away on the 11/03/2013 and I felt my heart being ripped out if my body..my sister was and is in such a state and no amount of comfort could help her..I felt helpless because as a mother I couldn't imagine the thought of losing my child..I could see her pain and the unanswerd question roaming within her..I took her in my arms and told her she has all the right to grief and feel pain and sadness but I asked her not to question God..she looked at me and with tears streaming from her eyes and said she loves God and won't question his will and I think Damian's death brought us closer to God and that's why I am on this spiritual quest because I want to know more,but what I have learnt that struggle,pain all those things are making me stronger. And bringing me closer to Christ.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  126
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  04/15/1990

That's absolutely true.....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  44

My family have recently suffered a huge loss.My younger sister's baby boy Damian was born on the 01/03/2013 and he was such a blessing to all of us.I enjoyed every minute I spend and held him in my arms,sadly he passed away on the 11/03/2013 and I felt my heart being ripped out if my body..my sister was and is in such a state and no amount of comfort could help her..I felt helpless because as a mother I couldn't imagine the thought of losing my child..I could see her pain and the unanswerd question roaming within her..I took her in my arms and told her she has all the right to grief and feel pain and sadness but I asked her not to question God..she looked at me and with tears streaming from her eyes and said she loves God and won't question his will and I think Damian's death brought us closer to God and that's why I am on this spiritual quest because I want to know more,but what I have learnt that struggle,pain all those things are making me stronger. And bringing me closer to Christ.

Praying for you and your family! :)

I. Why do you think God allows people to suffer? Does all suffering have purpose and meaning?

First regarding suffering the good news is that our suffering in this life is only for a short time when we look at the rest of eternity. (1 Pet. 5:10)

A. For God’s Glory:

Job is the ultimate story of suffering besides that of Christ. Job lost everything including his children, riches, standing in society. And the incredible aspect of Job’s story is that he did nothing wrong and yet suffered. Yet God’s purpose was to glorify His name in Job. The pain and suffering Job experienced allowed God to share with Job who He was and what He was about.

B. Chastisement by God:

Sometimes people suffer because His children whom God loves He chastises and rebukes for the purpose of repentance. (Heb. 12:6-8, Rev. 3:19) The purpose is as well for cleansing of our lives of unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)

C. For the Lord Jesus Christ & Furthering of the Gospel:

Jesus healed a man named Lazarus and yet he explained that the man had the sickness for the glory of God. (John 11:2-4) Later it is understood that some who saw this and other miracles believed in Jesus. (John 11:45) Some in particular believed because of Jesus healing Lazarus. (John 12:11) God was in complete control and had a purpose in allowing the sickness.

The story of Jim Elliott comes to mind. Jim was a missionary to natives who never heard the Gospel. They ended up killing Jim. Yet, years later many came to believe and trust in Jesus Christ.

We are told that those who are in Jesus Christ will suffer persecution. (2 Tim 3:12) Jesus Himself promised suffering that if anyone would come after Him they were to deny themselves, take up their cross daily, and follow in His footsteps. (Luke 9:23)

D. God’s Instruction and Teaching in Suffering:

God is at war with Satan waging the battles for the souls on men. As soldiers of Jesus Christ we’re to endure hardness at times. (2 Tim. 2:3) One of the fruits of the spirit is longsuffering. (Gal. 5:22) Sometimes I wonder if we as Christians gloss over that one when reading the others?

David himself, the man after God’s own heart, said that perhaps it is for good that bad things happened to him so he might learn God’s ways. (Ps. 119:71)

The of course there is the fact that all things work for good for those who love the Lord and are called according to His purposes. (Rom. 8:28) And yet we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. (Phil. 4:13)

Often God doesn’t want to change our circumstances but He wants to change our hearts.

E. Contrasting This World and Life What is to Come:

In Revelation 21:4 we’re told in the Bible there will be a time where there will be no more tears and death will be no more. There won’t be mourning, crying, or any pain any longer as God creates the New Heaven and New Earth. So perhaps in this life there is suffering to contrast with what is to come?

Conclusion:

If God were to remove all suffering then He would also remove the ability of men to make decisions for good or evil. It would almost be like nullifying the free will that allowed Adam/Eve to choose to sin in the Garden of Eden. Through one man sin entered the world and through One Son of Man God provided a way (John14:6) for the creation of God to become children of God (John 1:12, 1 John3:1). God doesn’t desire mindless servants or a form of robots. God desires a relationship with His creation. God desires to adopt us into His family and become co-heirs with Christ. (Rom. 8:17) God uses the suffering of the world as a result of sin to accomplish His purposes. However, I believe some suffering happens simply because of sin and evil in the world. I'm very sorry for your family's loss.

• Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

You and your family will be in my prayers. May God give you comfort and peace like only He can give.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  03/31/1982

GoldenEagle,thank you so much for your post..as I was reading it I thought of my sister and I will be showing her this so she will have a deeper understanding.I use to asks constantly "why me Lord"but I am learning to accept that GOD loves me and a parent will never intentionaly hurt their children.Thank you all.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  44

GoldenEagle,thank you so much for your post..as I was reading it I thought of my sister and I will be showing her this so she will have a deeper understanding.I use to asks constantly "why me Lord"but I am learning to accept that GOD loves me and a parent will never intentionaly hurt their children.Thank you all.

I don't believe God punishes His children for the sake of punishment. Instead, God disciplines for the sake of restoration. Sometimes we just don't understand why bad things happen to good people. As Job we can say "The Lord has given and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord."

That doesn't make it easier or less painful.

In any case your very welcome Jacquee! God bless you! Praying. :)

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  122
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  444
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  07/31/1974

I can relate. Pain draws me also closer to God. It is in these still quiet moments is when I can hear his voice.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,995
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.71
  • Days Won:  226

God does not make mistakes.Their is a reason for the grief that we suffer and for a child going to be with the Lord.God loves it when we will hold on to Him during our grief and sorrow and let Him comfort us instead of pulling away.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,268
  • Content Per Day:  3.31
  • Days Won:  30

I try to ask God to glorify Himself when loved ones have died, to use it for good and to save souls. I think of Joseph's brothers who threw him in the pit and sold him into slavery. He told them later "you meant it for evil, but God meant it for good". God used it to save his family from the famine. Had this not happened, Christ might not have been born fulfilling all the propecies.

We don't understand why. The apostles grieved deeply when Stephen was stoned to death. But, Paul remembered that day and called himself the chief of sinners because he had held the coats of them that were stoning him.

At the time we can't see how any good can come of it and we may never know till we get to heaven. We just know that we serve a good and merciful God. We trust in His character. And we know that Jesus still loves us. He died for us. Nothing shall seperate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus. Praying that the Comforter be especially close to you, your sister and family during this time.

• 4 weeks later...