• Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The Case for Early Marriage

By Eric Metaxas , Christian Post Columnist

April 13, 2013|9:26 am

<snip>

... The new model she calls "hedonistic" marriage. It's all about both people getting the maximum amount of pleasure – "material, emotional, sexual, familial, you name it" – out of the relationship.

And this is why, in the words of a study that Prior quotes, "Young adults have increasingly come to see marriage as a 'capstone' rather than a 'cornerstone'-that is, something they do after they have all their other ducks in a row, rather than as a foundation for launching into adulthood and parenthood."

We see this attitude everywhere now. It's rampant in colleges and universities with their "hook-up" cultures. Students are encouraged to treat their studies seriously and their sexual relationships casually, and then they're astonished when they get hurt. And something similar is going on in poor and even working class neighborhoods in our country, much to their detriment.

<snip>

Full article here

(You need to read the article for the above part to make sense.)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

Very interesting read, thanks for sharing

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Interesting topic, but I couldn't get teh site to load. Maybe I will try again later.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Basically I'm in favor of early marriage. I only have one reason not to favor it and I'm not sure if I'm right. I haven't seen any statistics. But from casual observations through my life, it seems that couples who marry early are more likely to get divorced. And the reason usually given is, as the couples grew older, they developed different interests and they grew apart. I'm sure this used to happen to couples in my parents generation and further back too. But back then, the couples used to stay together. At least in most cases. IMHO

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/17/1971

i'm against early marriages for one simple fact. Youngies aint even done knowing who they are,sure they think they do but find out down the road that they need to "go find themselves:. I have seen it too many times so I always advises they wait and also do pre marital counseling etc who knows what they did NOT know about the other Thanks for sharing this!

Edited by RedMomma

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Got married young myself. Husband was 18. Today we are working on our ninth year of marriage. The reason so many divorce is not about age, it is about where the center of their marriage is. If God is not at the center...it shows.

Just Some Food For Thought....

Guest ninhao

In Australia we have a trend in which less people are being married in Church or by a religious minister.

There were 121,000 marriages registered in 2010, the most recorded in a single year in Australia, and slightly more than the 120,000 marriages registered in 2009. Of the registered marriages in 2010, 31% were religious ceremonies, down from 58% in 1990. In contrast, in 2010, 69% of marriage ceremonies were conducted by civil celebrants, up from 42% in 1990.

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4102.0Main+Features30March+Quarter+2012

I wonder if this then follows that many young people do not know that God instituted marriage ?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

One problem with our society is that we treat 14-18 year olds as if they were still children rather than as young adults. Sure, they are still developing, but at the same time they are old enough to take responsibility for their own actions, and should be treated as such. I believe many of our "teenage problems" are a result of us creating "teenagers" in the first place. (Before the 1950's, has anyone heard of "teenagers"?)