IGNORED

What Does Crossbearing and Discipleship Mean to us Today?

Way195

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

In the days of many of our forefathers cross-bearing and discipleship meant death or persecution; so what does cross-bearing and discipleship mean to us today who are living in happy-go-lucky America?

This is a question I came to in a book I'm studying and I figured it would be very worth discussing. My first thought was that it means death to our own selves( selfish desires etc), but following Jesus has meant exactly that from day one.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

I have had several crosses to bear since I was saved, one was having to stay married to an unbeliever for many years, another which I still carry is having Meniere's disease, and others. We all have our crosses to bear in one way or another. The servant is not greater than the Master scripture tells us...the Lord suffered and we too must have our share of suffering.

To be a disciple of Christ we must take up that cross and walk in the way that the Lord has set out for us.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

In the days of many of our forefathers cross-bearing and discipleship meant death or persecution; so what does cross-bearing and discipleship mean to us today who are living in happy-go-lucky America?

I've discovered that living a life as one separated unto God, going against the flow of culture, draws in persecution from others - insults, peer pressure to do what everyone else is doing, etc.

Of course, your question needs a background discussion on what it means to be a disciple of Christ. I know many Christians who are not what I would consider "disciples". But that is another topic.

I agree with what you mentioned about dying to ourselves being what "picking up your cross daily" meaning. The cross was not a burden to bear, it was the instrument of death which the carrier would be hung upon. (I believe the phrase "my cross to bear" is a mis-application of Scripture.)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

John 15:17-19

17 These things I command you, that you love one another.18 “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

As my pastor likes to say: if the world can't find something wrong with you, it usually means there is something wrong with you!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,253
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

My husband was nearly disinheritied because he "sold out" to Christ and was saved. He was told that none of his dad's money was going to end up in any church. His mom was wishy washy, an excommunicated Catholic because she had divorsed and remarried. Both barely tollerated me. I had been ordered off their property when, as a young Christian I asked if I could see their bible to look up a verse. Even the one sister who claimed to be a Christian is totally out of touch with him to this day, in spite of many efforts to reach out to her.

Many of us are discriminated against on their jobs because of their faith. Hubby was ordered to crawl on his hands and knees on river rock to pick up cigarette buts when he was in his 60s. He was the only non smoker and committed Christian working there. No, he didn't have the best attitude about this. It was very painful.

I was avoided by co workers and most did not want to work closely with me because ugly rumors and been spread about me. They were half truths that made me look bad.

Neither of us brought up our faith. We just tried to live the life before them. I answered questions when others brought it up. But I did not proselatize but urged them to go to the church of their choice. They started filming me with a videocamera at work to try to get damaging evidence to fire me. I figured it would exonerate me, and it did. Eventually false accusations were revealed for what they were.

Taking up the cross is something we do willingly. It means suffering for Christ's sake. lt means not being ashamed of Christ but living the life and being ready to share the Gospel in word and deed. It is giving up our old life and putting on Christ. It is being willing to die for Him if necessary.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I know many Christians who are not what I would consider "disciples". But that is another topic.

Sadly, I have to agree with you on that. This brings on a whole other discussion which we won't start here about wether discipleship is optional or not. I beleive a christian is a disciple of Christ, and if he doesn't want to be a disciple he's no christian. As far as taking up the cross in our lives; it is our choice, but we can't experiance fellowship with Christ in it's deepest form till we take it up willingly.

As my pastor likes to say: if the world can't find something wrong with you, it usually means there is something wrong with you!

Amen!

Edited by Way195

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Spurgeon was very clear on this subject regarding things that today's American Christians ignore.

http://spurgeonwarquotes.wordpress.com/