• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  59
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/14/1987

All right, so the description has nothing to do with anything except pirates, however, I have a slightly more serious topic of discussion. My girlfriend (fiance in about... 4/5 weeks), is Christian. As of now, I am athiest (and may continue to remain as such), however this causes a slight conflict. I have no problem with believing in God, but I am not a big fan of organized religion in general, or the Church Doctrines, etc. Anyway, I feel that the kids should be exposed to an assortment of beliefs and be allowed to choose their own instead of being brainwashed from an early age. She would like them to go to Church exclusively, etc from an early age. What are your thoughts (namely of those you who are less indoctrinated)? Is there a possible coexistance of both (after all the pagan religions and christianity coexisted for a long time together, why not anymore?)?

-Sam

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  349
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Wix,

This is a complicated situation for both of you as well as the young ones. As a Christian, member of no church. (Though I do attend regularly.) There is truly nothing wrong with small children being sent off to church for until of an older age in which they are truly old enough to make their own decisions and begin to act upon their own judgement it is good that they go to church.

Though as you being an aethist it is not difficult to understand your position. In truth, I am not yet a mother but know that my children will be attending church with me until the age of thirteen which from then on they can make their own decision, though I would pray they would make the right one.

Perhaps such a method could be enforced within your home?

If not perhaps the two of you need to continue to discuss this matter before a decision is made. To be honest though....a woman of faith is not likely to submit when it comes to keeping her children from the Lord.

With Love In Christ,

Danielle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  12/18/1981

All right, so the description has nothing to do with anything except pirates, however, I have a slightly more serious topic of discussion. My girlfriend (fiance in about... 4/5 weeks), is Christian. As of now, I am athiest (and may continue to remain as such), however this causes a slight conflict. I have no problem with believing in God, but I am not a big fan of organized religion in general, or the Church Doctrines, etc. Anyway, I feel that the kids should be exposed to an assortment of beliefs and be allowed to choose their own instead of being brainwashed from an early age. She would like them to go to Church exclusively, etc from an early age. What are your thoughts (namely of those you who are less indoctrinated)? Is there a possible coexistance of both (after all the pagan religions and christianity coexisted for a long time together, why not anymore?)?

-Sam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have kids now? Christianity is not an "organized Religion" it is a personal relationship with Christ.

Honestly as I believe I have already suggested to your GF and soon to be Fiance, she needs to seperate herself from you until she has her faith straight. And you brother need to seek the truth of our Lord Jesus Christ. For without him you will surely perish. Also if you were to lead your children down the path of UnRightousness you will be held accountable for that at the time of judgement.

I will pray that you will remove your blinders and see that Jesus Christ is Saviour. I pray that your fiance will strengthen her relationship with Christ and that you both will make the right decisions concerning one another.

God Bless,

Dave

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Sam,

You are not in a unique situation. And I'd like to tell you that it's going to be a cakewalk for you, but sadly that's not the case. Let me just illustrate your finacee's situation so that you can get a better idea of the challenge that she is in for:

Have your fiancee stand on a table and grab your hands. Tell her to pull you up. Then when she finds that it's impossible, try to pull her down to the ground.

Notice how hard it is for her to pull you up and how easy it is for you to pull her down? This is exactly the kind of challenge that she, as a Christian, will have in bringing you to Christ. It is much easier for her to fall into sin than it is for her to bring you to Christ. Now imagine your children in the midst of all this.

Now, I know how that sounds. But it's just a simple fact. For your future marriage to work you need to have something as the center of your relationship. Your wife will probably want Christ to be the center, and she will want faith to play the most important role in her children's life, as it plays in hers. You will probably view other things as the center; things that your wife will consider inconsequential when compared to faith in God. Ultimately your relationship will fail because you will refuse to accept something as important as faith in your marriage, and she will refuse to believe that anything could be as important as faith in your relationship. The kids will just get caught up in the whole sticky mess. And whether you want to believe it or not, that will influence them more greatly than religion or atheism.

Sam, if you genuinely love your fiancee, don't you think that examining the basis of her faith is something worth looking into? All religion aside, don't you think that something as important as faith in your fiancee's life is worth considering?

While you're thinking on this, run down to your local library and read Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ." You don't have to read the entire book (Although I highly recommend that you do). Just read the Forward. Lee Stroebel was an atheist married to a Christian when he decided to explore the Christian faith. Read his brief testimony in the Forward of that book. Then read the rest of the book from his perspective as a doubtful but open atheist in his examination of the Christian faith. I think it will help you out a lot.

Much Grace

~G

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

While you're thinking on this, run down to your local library and read Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ."  You don't have to read the entire book (Although I highly recommend that you do).  Just read the Forward.  Lee Stroebel was an atheist married to a Christian when he decided to explore the Christian faith.  Read his brief testimony in the Forward of that book. Then read the rest of the book from his perspective as a doubtful but open atheist in his examination of the Christian faith.  I think it will help you out a lot.

:emot-hug: Great book and excellent advice.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  2,063
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1

Dear Wix,

This is just my opinion. You don't have to accept it if you dislike it. DISCLAIMER: I am not a christian.

You will have to understand that your's is not a unique case. There have been plenty of interreligious marriages. Some successful, some not. Unlike some others who have replied, I will not try to place value to which belief is more correct than the other, (e.g. which person is on the higher platform to which he or she may lift the other, or which person is on the lower platform to which he or she may drag down the other).

I will only give you the following advice. How much do you love her and how much does she love you. If either does not love the other enough, it will be a hard road. You may measure the intensity of your love or her love by determining what each is willing to compromise.

Good luck.

UndecidedFrog

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

UF,

You may measure the intensity of your love or her love by determining what each is willing to compromise.

WOW!

In light of that statement? I believe you may be closer than you think? :wub:

Think about it?

Love ya friend. :P

Peace,

Dave

Guest fyre_fly

There is a differance between being religious and actually being a born again christian . If she is born again , she needs to seperate from you . Your unbelief will eventually cause strife and problems in her walk for Christ , which is the most important thing in life , and her belief will always bother you in some way , not only in how the children should be raised . As for raising children in church , it's a far better place to have them , than watching tv all day or out running the streets . God wants us to be in the right church environment and to have our little ones brought up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord .

I am wondering Sam if you are totally commited to atheism ? Or if you might be persuaded that God does indeed exist and that he loves you very much and is waiting for you to come to him .

I am also an athiest and I think that you should let your kids grow up without anything but also teach them little bits from other religions and when you think they are old enough you should let them choose. :blink: