IGNORED

What Do Non-Christians Really Think Of Us??

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

http://www.christianpost.com/news/what-do-non-christians-really-think-of-us-98064/

On Being Selfish, Not Really Interested in Others

I remember a rather outspoken evangelical Christian young woman I worked with – I'd just moved to town, and we went to a movie together. Each week she invited me to her church, and I didn't want to offend her by saying "No thanks." As it was, I had Buddhist activities one Sunday and I was mentoring a young girl two other Sundays, but that theoretically left a Sunday open. We only worked together for 3 months, and it never worked out. I went to a different job.

She showed up there one night, and jumped right to the church invite. No "Hey, how've you been? Haven't seen you in a while!" Nope – just "Do you want to come to church with me this weekend?" Since I was on to her game, I decided to play. I said, "Sure, I'll go to church with you, because I'm interested in seeing what you're interested in. That's what friends do, after all. And I'm sure you'll want to come with me to a Buddhist meeting to see what I'm interested in, right?"

"Oh no!" she replied. "I just love the Lord so much!"

"Well," I said, "then there's no point in me going to your church because I'm not interested in either becoming a Christian or joining your church." I never saw her again.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

I'm not sure what the world thinks of us.  Some mock us, others think we are crazy, yet some revere us and ask us for advice.  People won't ever understand us unless they remove their on preconceptions of us, or to truly understand a Christian, they must actually become one.

I think our faith and lifestyle is beyond their understanding, because they are missing a crucial element in their life, the presence of the Holy Spirit.

I'm not sure what the world thinks of us.  Some mock us, others think we are crazy, yet some revere us and ask us for advice.  People won't ever understand us unless they remove their on preconceptions of us, or to truly understand a Christian, they must actually become one.

I think our faith and lifestyle is beyond their understanding, because they are missing a crucial element in their life, the presence of the Holy Spirit.

Yes,I agree.Athough their are some nonbelievers who treat me more appropriately than others.Some would just as soon not acknowledge me at all.I wonder what the difference is?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

i think they are curious about us christians.

i think they are curious about us christians.

I wonder if we remind them of what will happen to them when they die.

I remember being a non-Christian, but I do not recall having a blanket impression of them that was universal. I remember thinking that there was a quite bit of superstition to their beliefs. I knew not everyone was as sophisticated a thinker and as aware of science the way I was. Then of course eventually I met one that was actually intellectual in his faith, and apologist, and suddenly it didn't seem quite as irrational as I had thought. Of course, I was not convinced by him of anything, other than I realized I really had no right to dismiss these people as superstitious, delusional, self deceived etc. and I realized that likely, Christianity was not merely one of thousands of religions, it had some unique claims, many of them reasonable and even compatible with History and science.

Most of all though, I remember meeting a few Christians, who accepted me as I was, and were not defensive about their beliefs nor disrespectful of mine. They were kind and generous, willing to help or invite me to a meal and not expect anything in return. They seemed genuine, not hypocritical, and I admired their character. I am sure that unbelievers think of you exactly that way. If not, why not?

:thumbsup:

~

It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household? Matthew 10:25

"In the year of Christ 286, a most remarkable affair occurred; a legion of soldiers, consisting of six thousand six hundred and sixty-six men, contained none but Christians. This legion was called the Theban Legion, because the men had been raised in Thebias: they were quartered in the east until the emperor Maximian ordered them to march to Gaul, to assist him against the rebels of Burgundy. They passed the Alps into Gaul, under the command of Mauritius, Candidus, and Exupernis, their worthy commanders, and at length joined the emperor. Maximian, about this time, ordered a general sacrifice, at which the whole army was to assist; and likewise he commanded that they should take the oath of allegiance and swear, at the same time, to assist in the extirpation of Christianity in Gaul. Alarmed at these orders, each individual of the Theban Legion absolutely refused either to sacrifice or take the oaths prescribed. This so greatly enraged Maximian, that he ordered the legion to be decimated, that is, every tenth man to be selected from the rest, and put to the sword. This bloody order having been put in execution, those who remained alive were still inflexible, when a second decimation took place, and every tenth man of those living was put to death. This second severity made no more impression than the first had done; the soldiers preserved their fortitude and their principles, but by the advice of their officers they drew up a loyal remonstrance to the emperor. This, it might have been presumed, would have softened the emperor, but it had a contrary effect: for, enraged at their perseverance and unanimity, he commanded that the whole legion should be put to death, which was accordingly executed by the other troops, who cut them to pieces with their swords, September 22, 286." http://www.worthychristianlibrary.com/john-foxe/foxes-book-martyrs/chapter-2-part-1/

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

If only Christians in the US/World were as united as these brave saints.  Imagine what we would accomplish together.

If only Christians in the US/World were as united as these brave saints.  Imagine what we would accomplish together.

I don't think that is going to happen until we go home. :mgcheerful:

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  377
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

Many are bewildered by how horrible we can be to one another at times. Even more bewildered when we use Bible verses to beat each other with.