IGNORED

Your Views On Horror Movies

Tinky

Guest Maryseblossom

I guess its matter how much of how much you watch than what you watch.

I really prefer to watch something that will make me learn. I take movies and novel as a way to make me evade the reality, make me see something that is fictional. Its just sane to escape for a moment than come back.

But in the end, I always try to find the moral un what I watch. One movie that made me think a lot is children of man. Its a movie I would recommend to everybody (though if you don't like to see war scene, I guess you should not)

But the message is very important. And meaningful for our society.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I haven't seen a horror film in over 20 years.  I could come up with a whole list of scriptures why they are not good for Christians, but I'll just say this:  I think it's sick to be entertained by watching someone simulate the stalking and or murder of others, which is what happens in a lot of these the last I knew.

Guest Butero

BTW, I agree that anything we watch effects us in some way.

I don't see how any of them have ever effected me. My life nor my believes have never changed just from watching a movie. I am the same person going into the move as I am coming out. So I can't saying they have effected me at all. I just don't see it.

When I said I agree that what we watch effects us, I didn't mean they harmed our faith.  I just meant they effect you emotionally.  If they don't touch you in some way, why watch them?  I will remember a great performance, or a memorable line.  Things stay with you, and sometimes they are good and sometimes they are not?  I never meant that a movie would cause me to become weak in the faith, so if you thought that was what I am saying, there was a miscommunication. 

Guest Butero

I haven't seen a horror film in over 20 years.  I could come up with a whole list of scriptures why they are not good for Christians, but I'll just say this:  I think it's sick to be entertained by watching someone simulate the stalking and or murder of others, which is what happens in a lot of these the last I knew.

Before I address this, I noticed you are listed as a seeker rather than a Christian, and you list an interest in mystics.  Why would someone who is interested in things like that have an issue with horror films, and do you consider yourself a born again Christian? 

Moving on, if you have a whole list of scriptures why they are not good for Christians, I would be glad to look at them.  The one scripture from Philippians is the only one I have found that I really think has any application whatsoever.  Maybe you can add something to the conversation that will change minds? 

Here is how I view the kind of movies you mentioned.  Some are just unrealistic, like a doll going around stalking and killing people, or someone killing people in their dreams.  It is pure fantasy.  Others are good guys verses bad guys.  You have the bad guy going around killing people, but most normal people are desiring good to triumph over evil, as they are hunted down and brought to justice.  What I don't like is movies, or video games for that matter, with no sense of right and wrong, and where you are encouraged to root for the bad guy. 

Horror movies is a huge genre, and it covers a lot of types of films.  It can be the stalker, but it can also be a ghost story, or just something supernatural.  It can be something suspenseful.  It covers anything from old black and white films like "House on Haunted Hill" and "Thirteen Ghosts" (or course I am speaking of the originals) to modern horror films like "An American Haunting," "The Skeleton Key" or some of the really gory movies like "Saw," which I never saw or care to see.  I just don't see horror films as any worse than other kinds of movies, but I am speaking of the genre in general terms.  I can certainly pick out horror films that would be harmful, as I can do the same thing with musicals or comedies, depending on the story line, and what they are trying to promote?  For instance, there are propaganda films like "Philadelphia," and I consider that movie far more dangerous than something like "The Forgotten." 

I do want to add one question for Nebula.  You mentioned watching "Big Bang" at your brother's home one day, and not liking it.  I don't care for that show either, but it is probably not much worse than most sitcoms today as far as content goes?  Do you look at your brother as in idolatry for watching shows like that?  Is he worshipping entertainment?  I am just trying to figure out if there is something you are looking for when you determine what constitutes idolatry? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I do want to add one question for Nebula.  You mentioned watching "Big Bang" at your brother's home one day, and not liking it.  I don't care for that show either, but it is probably not much worse than most sitcoms today as far as content goes?  Do you look at your brother as in idolatry for watching shows like that?  Is he worshipping entertainment?  I am just trying to figure out if there is something you are looking for when you determine what constitutes idolatry? 

Butero, it is not my intent to point fingers at any particular people; rather, it was a general comment.

1. Entertainment is an idol in our society.

2. Christians will "tolerate" evil in the name of entertainment (how many murders, acts of sexual immorality, cursing of God, etc., have you entertained yourself with?). We can brush it off as being fake, but I had this challenge come to me myself - are you enjoining in the activity you are watching on screen? Are you particiipatig in evil, just by being a willing observer? Your dollars definitely tell the producers you want more.

But how do you know if it's an idol? Well, you can ask the Holy Spirit to search your heart on the matter. A test could be giving the thing up for an extended period of time and see how easy or hard it is (especially when you have to choose not to watch it when you normally would have).

Guest Butero

Butero, it is not my intent to point fingers at any particular people; rather, it was a general comment.

2. Christians will "tolerate" evil in the name of entertainment (how many murders, acts of sexual immorality, cursing of God, etc., have you entertained yourself with?). We can brush it off as being fake, but I had this challenge come to me myself - are you enjoining in the activity you are watching on screen? Are you particiipatig in evil, just by being a willing observer? Your dollars definitely tell the producers you want more.

But how do you know if it's an idol? Well, you can ask the Holy Spirit to search your heart on the matter. A test could be giving the thing up for an extended period of time and see how easy or hard it is (especially when you have to choose not to watch it when you normally would have).

First of all, I am not convinced that entertainment is an idol in our society.  I just believe that you can in theory make an idol out of anything, including entertainment.  Yes, Christians will tolerate evil in the name of entertainment, but they will also tolerate evil in other ways.  Christian women will tolerate evil when it comes to how they dress in the name of comfort. 

Let me issue a challenge to you Nebula.  We can call it a test.  How easy would it be for you to give up wearing pants for an extended period of time?  That is something I look at as a sin, while you see entertainment as a sin.  Women wearing what pertains to a man is something I consider evil, and in addition to that, I believe that many women have made it an idol.  You believe entertainment is an idol for Christians. 

The whole thing comes down to this.  I understand your position on entertainment because I have the same feelings about things I view as sinful and wrong that Christians are doing.  You are going out of you way to claim you aren't pointing fingers, but all the while you are.  When you have a conviction something is wrong, you can't understand how others can't see things like you do?  On the inside, you feel like they are in denial, and they just love that thing so much, they won't give it up because they worship it.  I doubt you are going to accept what I am saying, but from one legalist to another, I totally understand you.  I don't believe you would give up what I believe is your idol, and frankly, I think I would have an easier time giving up watching tv for an extended period of time.  Of course, we will never know? 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Days Won:  22

There is a child's song that you learn in Sunday School.  Goes something like "Oh be careful little eyes what you see" etc

I guess they teach that in SS in the hope it will stick when we get older   ;)

I dunno...we also have the WWJD crowd...I wonder, would He watch it with you?  nummmmm...I'm thinking He sees enough REAL horror on this planet already

The TV has an off button ...in case the dog ate the remote again... :laugh:

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.91
  • Days Won:  3

2. Christians will "tolerate" evil in the name of entertainment (how many murders, acts of sexual immorality, cursing of God, etc., have you entertained yourself with?).

The answer to this question is none. Because it is not  "real". It is just a made up story in a movie. No one has actuality been murder.  Of course I would not go to watch a real murder taking place for entertainment. That would be sick. But I do know the difference between what is "real life" and what is " make believe". 

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

First of all, I am not convinced that entertainment is an idol in our society.  I just believe that you can in theory make an idol out of anything, including entertainment.  Yes, Christians will tolerate evil in the name of entertainment, but they will also tolerate evil in other ways.  Christian women will tolerate evil when it comes to how they dress in the name of comfort. 

Let me issue a challenge to you Nebula.  We can call it a test.  How easy would it be for you to give up wearing pants for an extended period of time?  That is something I look at as a sin, while you see entertainment as a sin.  Women wearing what pertains to a man is something I consider evil, and in addition to that, I believe that many women have made it an idol.  You believe entertainment is an idol for Christians. 

The whole thing comes down to this.  I understand your position on entertainment because I have the same feelings about things I view as sinful and wrong that Christians are doing.  You are going out of you way to claim you aren't pointing fingers, but all the while you are.  When you have a conviction something is wrong, you can't understand how others can't see things like you do?  On the inside, you feel like they are in denial, and they just love that thing so much, they won't give it up because they worship it.  I doubt you are going to accept what I am saying, but from one legalist to another, I totally understand you.  I don't believe you would give up what I believe is your idol, and frankly, I think I would have an easier time giving up watching tv for an extended period of time.  Of course, we will never know? 

Goodness, Butero, I was answering your question. I'm not challenging you to a dual!!!

I explained my perspectives and convictions, and if you disagree with them, fine. If you don't like my answers, then stop asking me questions.

And for the record, I don't consider my wearing pants any more evil than my wearing clothes of mixed fabric.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.91
  • Days Won:  3

I think things on this post have gotten out of hand. I don't think this was suppose to be a post to convince people that watching horror movies is wrong or right to do. I think this topic was suppose to be "what are your views on horror moves." You then post your views about what you think of them and then move on. I feel no need to convince anyone that it is okay to watch something that they feel is wrong. If you think they are wrong, don't watch them. But do not pass judgement upon me because I see things differently then you.