ray

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  281
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

Hello! all, I know I'm not counselor of any kind or pastor, therapist, or psycologist? So how do I help people from feeling lonely, depressed or sucacidal over the Holiday season? Where can I recommend people find help when my help is not enough to get one through the night? :thumbsup:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Hello! all, I know I'm not counselor of any kind or pastor, therapist, or psycologist? So how do I help people from feeling lonely, depressed or sucacidal over the Holiday season? Where can I recommend people find help when my help is not enough to get one through the night? :24:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Ray,

The only one the bible endorses to help people is the believer. And the word of God is what is needed.

2Tim. 3:16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17  That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

We are thoroughly furnished by scripture.

How do any of us help those that want help? The truth will set us free.

How can I be lonely if Jesus is with me? The reality of Christ in us the hope of glory is the only thing that can keep us from loneliness.

Depressed/suicidal? Only those that cannot praise God in all things get depressed. God inhabits the praises of His people. How does anyone get through the night? By looking forward to the day. Those that cannot get through the night cannot see the coming day. There is no hope for them. Give them hope. Hope is the confident expectation of impending good.

Ro 15:13

• Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

If you think someone is truly suicidal, try to find a pastor who is trained as a Neuthetic counsellor. One who counsels using Scripture rather than the world's wisdom.

Other than that, the best way to deal with loneliness and depression is to take the focus off of yourself and put it on helping others. Join in church activities, especially those that involve helping people who are in need. But any activity such as choir, caroling, assisting in childrens activities, helping at a missions, packing boxes to be sent to mission fields or service men will help you to realize that it's NOT all about you but rather about helping others and witnessing to others.

IR :24:

Ok larryt to me who is not suffering from loneliness or depression right now I think you give good advice. However, I do not think some that is practical when you are in the heat of the moment with someone engaged in dialog or chat. I'm familiar with the bible verses but if I have wondered away like the prodigal son when someone hits rock bottom to eat pig food or worse I don't think lecturing them on what the Bible says is what they always need to hear. Although i will quote the bible which reflects the person and situation and which I'm chatting. But what are some support groups on line that I can refer them to or 1 800 help lines I can refer them when my knowledge of scripture does not help them?

Thanks

ray :24::24::21::(:(:(:huh:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Churches can offer human contact, parties, and other wholesome activities throughout the year, times of fellowship and fun, for those who need or want it!

• Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Ok larryt to me who is not suffering from loneliness or depression right now I think you give good advice.  However, I do not think some that is practical when you are in the heat of the moment with someone engaged in dialog or chat.  I'm familiar with the bible verses but if I have wondered away like the prodigal son when someone hits rock bottom to eat pig food or worse  I don't think lecturing them on what the Bible says is what they always need to hear.  Although i will quote the bible which reflects the person and situation and which I'm chatting. But what are some support groups on line that I can refer them to or 1 800 help lines I can refer them when my knowledge of scripture does not help them?

Thanks

ray :24:  :24:  :emot-hug:  :b:  :24:  :24:  :emot-hug:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sometimes telling the truth in love is what is needed. Jude:

21  Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

22  And of some have compassion, making a difference:

23  And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Are we looking to treat a symptom or find the cure?

LT

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  59
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/14/1987

If you feel comfertable, invite someone who is lonely to join you for some of the holidays, get them a gift, make them feel welcome (this is key; if you don't they will most likely sink deeper into depression :wub:). Also, be availible; give them your number and let them know that any time they can call it if they need help. Another good hotline (for suicide) is 1.800.SUICIDE (1.800.784.2433 - http://www.hopeline.com/). I think these people exist for a good cause and they have people who are trained to deal with someone who is suicidal. As Leonard pointed out if try to get them to go to Church. You should probably go with them the first time as you suggested it, and if they go alone they are more likely to feel isolated because they don't know anybody. Last but not least, learn how to spell unlike me :24:.

Sam

Thanks Lenord that was big help.

Churches can offer human contact, parties, and other wholesome activities throughout the year, times of fellowship and fun, for those who need or want it!

Well larryt

Are we looking to treat a symptom or find the cure?

LT

At this point we can only treat a symptom. Yes, there may be a cure but only God can do that through our prayers for those that are lost lonely hurting and depressed beyond our control. If I had the cure for all that everyone that got on line you might consider me to be GOD, but I'm not . Since I only know the truth as they share with I can only ask for God's wisdom that He may give me discernment in any advice I share with any one so they don't take drastic measures in hurting themselves or others.

Yes, there is truth in the scriptures. It even says know the truth and the truth will set you free. Likewise, if your a parent you don't give your infant a steak when all they can handle is milk. What I'm trying to say is that you need to becarfeul in the advice you share because if you give infant steak when all they can handle is milk you will make them sicker. Likewise if you give the heavy and hard truth and the meat before someone is ready you may hurt them more than you help larryt.

Since I know I'm not perfect I would feel more comfort in giving a hurting personsome comfort and help that will get them through the night and hopefully give them a future. I'm reminded of a story..... You can fish for me and I will have fish for the day but if show how fish I can have fish every day. I want any one hurting to be able to go fishing everyday. I can't be there online for someone 24/7 so it would be easier for to give them a 1-800-help-line or website were they can seek more professional help. You can quote me as much scripture as you want, but wouldn't be more effective to show that person how to read their Bible on a daily basis than depending on you 24/7 to quote them scripture every day.

I hope this claifies things for you Larryt

ray

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  658
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/01/1965

I usually get involved with ppl and try to keep them happy and spend most of my time doing something in the church, then I do not get lonely around the holidays. It's sad sometimes when I see ppl with their families hugging and smiling, and just talking with one another. Jesus is my family and He makes me happy.

Yukon :thumbsup: