Knowingtruth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

The entire Bible was written by God, so the words of Jesus don't supersede other scriptures.  They are in reality all the words of God. 

This is a very good point brother. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

I enjoy all the various forms of worship and praise. I love Orthodox liturgies, and have attended Presbyterian and Nazarene churches at different times. We did not mention praying specifically in our discussion, but you are right, these two are the only two Biblical forms of prayer (tongues falling into the 1st category). However, I would rather cheer God or give Him my applause when He does something wonderful than praise some football player or entertainer. I love to vocalize my thanks and sing to Him and about Him. I am not ashamed to clap or raise Holy hands as Paul says.

I am so glad to hear you say that, Paul. I feel the same way. The only church that I could not worship in had absolutely no worship. There were no hymns of worhip or praise. There were some hymns of service, but nothing was directed toward God. There was no thanksgiving even. I had to visit some other church where I could express adoration and exultating of God in the congregation before I shriveled up. Didn't care if it was a ritual or a holy roller.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  625
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

The issue I was addressing here is divine healing.  You didn't believe it was for today, and I was showing it is a Biblical practice for today.  The reason we pray in the Spirit and with the understanding is because God is able to pray through us for what we really need, when we take our own intellect out of the picture. 

My thrust of the topic is that the speaking in unknown tongue requiring interpretation has ceased. I believe in all other gifts of the Spirit listed by Paul. What is more, there are gifts available that are not specifically listed. Speaking in known language may have continued though I have not witnessed that!

Again, you cannot pray in the Spirit. You can pray in your spirit helped by the Holy Spirit. This is a major problem in understanding of many! That is the reason I have started another thread in the same group "Who is groaning? Understanding Romans 8:26."

In the passage from Mark's gospel, those are just signs that follow believers.  Nobody has to bring a snake along to pray for the sick.  All he is saying is that if we have faith, even a snake won't harm us, like in the instance where Paul was bitten by the poisonous viper, and had no ill effects.  We are told not to tempt the Lord, so I don't believe in snake handling just to prove our faith. 

Did Paul go after the snake to test his faith? Why one should be forced to speak in unknown tongue with the beating of the drums and shouting by others? Should one prove his faith by speaking in unknown tongue after baptism? There are more instances in the Bible wherein people did not speak in tongue after baptism, that includes Paul also!

I would be very interested to see where in scripture He tells us that tongues has ceased. I am not interested in human logic, but scripture.

The very fact that Paul discouraged that type of practice, and his subsequent letters indicated in the OP do not include them along with the entire Bible are very good proof that it was a local phenomenon observed in the notorious Corinth! He also hints at its ceasing--when, a matter of discerment.

Can you supply the scripture you are referring to?

Everything cannot be provided through Scripture that is limited.(John 21:25) Many were lost and destroyed before Canon was decided. For that main reason  Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to discern the truth even though Scripture existed at that time.

The entire Bible was written by God, so the words of Jesus don't supersede other scriptures.  They are in reality all the words of God. 

In that case, shall I presume that you would like to go back to building a temple followed  by sacrifices, rituals and observing old feasts?

A good question to be asked.   

Is one more Spiritual when they are speaking in tongues?  Does one bypass the HS when they speak in tongues, do they go directly to God the Father?  What about Rom 8:26,27 - We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans which words cannot express.

In Christ

Montana Marv

Please go to another thread of mine "" in the same section for further discussions on this issue.

Edited by GoldenEagle
<<< To link thread... >>>

You are the one that reasoned that Paul's epistle was written to the church at Corinth, and he was addessing them based on issues in their church.  That was the whole premise for your argument.  I completely agree that the epistles are to everyone.

Epistles are to be applied to us considering the context.

As a matter of fact, that weakens your argument, because there is no reason for Paul, or any other New Testament author to repeat the same things over and over.  Remember that it is God that actually wrote the Bible, but he used human vessels to pen his words.

What is important he has repeated. What was not found he has not explicitly mentioned. Paul was at Corinth for one and half years and many were baptized during his presence. No speaking of unknown tongue was observed.

Of course there are instances where a message is unBiblical.  Of course there are times where there are more than one interpretation given.  We are supposed to know enough about the Word to discern the difference?  The Bible allows for more than one interpretation to be given.  Even if you can cite the things you did, there is no proof that God never uses tongues and interpretation, and that there are just instances where someone wasn't really hearing from God? 

There is one and only absolute truth. If you believe in different interpretations and accept them all, I think, you are going off track!

Wow! How on earth did you get that out of what I said? I was speaking of the varying forms of praise and worship we see IN THE SCRIPTURES (not one mention of accepting multiple interpretations as equal or all true)

Sorry Paul. I am yet to get familiar with posting in this Forum. Quoting was also causing problem. I think my replies are getting mixed up with other postings!

Is one more Spiritual when they are speaking in tongues?  No!

Does one bypass the HS when they speak in tongues, do they go directly to God the Father?  No! (God is the Father, the same one God is the Son, and also the Holy Spirit)

What about Rom 8:26,27 - We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans which words cannot express.

What do you mean, what about? I think it may be referring to when one is praying FOR something really personally important...we can not even put it in words...we writhe and moan crying out to God...the Spirit intercedes for us knowing what we desire or have need of. IMO the passage must be read in context which I believe starts at verse 18 (check it out), How do you interpret it?

Brother Paul

Good insight Paul! I am in agreement with you almost. Many are misguided in this aspect. For that reason I started another thread "" in the same division of the Forum. Would you like to take a look at that?

Edited by GoldenEagle
<<< To link thread... >>>

This is a very good point brother. :thumbsup:

It may be worthwhile to consider Gospel of John 3:1-21 and especially John 4:21-24 before this deduction.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,436
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

G. In a public setting two to three at the most are to speak in tongues and there must be an interpretation. If there is no interpretation we are instructed not to speak in tongues.

26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

J. Tongues are not prohibited as long as there is order.

39 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.

Please receive this in the same spirit of love that it was intended.

God bless,

GE

These two passages must conclude to one point of unity... Love, Steven