• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

I started using my iPad as my primary Bible not long after my husband got it for me. It just offers me so much more flexibility than my physical Bible, not to mention it weighs less. I use Olive Tree primarily, but have other apps as well. I love that I can keep notes directly on particular verses, call up parallel versions or commentaries on verses. or even just make a note to look deeper into something later so that I don't get sidetracked during the sermon. I also don't have the option of connecting to the web with my 1st gen wireless only iPad as our church is very small and we don't even have a full-time phone line, much less wireless web access. LOL

Just as an aside, even if I was tempeted to "play" instead of focusing on the service, my husband would never let me get away with it. I'm not trying to say he's some kind of domineering misogynist, but he loves me enough to not let me get away with that kind of nonsense. Just like I wouldn't let him get away with it if he tried to pull out his phone and play with it. Makes me wonder where the sense of accountability is with others who do play while in church. Don't they have parents or spouses or even friends who love them enough to call them out when they do something like text, check Facebook, or play games while in church?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/11/1977

Well, half of our worship team have tablets, that includes our pastor who leads the worship.  It just minimizes / eliminates all the paper you have to carry around when you go to practice or during worship at church.  Our pastor has his whole teaching on his tablet (though he does carry a paper copy for backup - technology you know :)).  So, basically there is no issues with using electronic wares in church as long as it's not disrupting.  The (very) few people I've seen using their phones or tablets use it to access their bibles apps.  I myself just use the Goodreader app to take notes during the study (all sounds off of course).  It helps me concentrate by writing down or typing.  I only use the Youversion Bible app to copy key verses to my created text doc and I read from my physical Bible.  I don't know, it just seems / feels more "personal" than reading from an electronic screen.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

I do fiddle with mine. For 2 reasons. first, I have my bible on my smart phone. Second, it actually helps me keep focused on the service-believe it or not, im a bit fidgety, I need something to do with my hands, or my mind wanders. me and my brother both have this issue-he solves it by drawing, I dont have any artistic talents so I fiddle with my phone. In both cases-me and my brother, we can often tell you not only what the service was about, but remember more then the vast majority of everyone else there.

Pat,did you have ADHD as a child?

technically, I was "diagnosed" with it as a child yes, however, I do not really believe in ADHD. I have not seen enough evidence to support that such a "disorder" exists, or if it does, is so magnified beyond all realms of imagination. But that is an entirely different conversation.

Oh it does exist.Just ask my daughter who has had two kids with it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

I think understanding different learning styles could be beneficial to this discussion... Are people who are fidgetting, need to work with their hands, etc. really TRYING to be a distraction? I would say no. I believe the behavior has to do with the person's preferred or natural learning method. :thumbsup:

1. Different learning methods

A-Audio Learners (can pay attention without looking at a speaker or lecture, acquire knowledge by reading aloud, remember by verbalizing lessons to themselves or others, etc.)

B-Visual Learners (take detailed notes, like to see what they’re learning, benefit from illustrations and color, find passive surroundings ideal, etc.)

C- Kinesthetic Learners (need to be active and take frequent breaks, speak with their hands and gestures, find reasons to tinker or move when bored, remember what was done but have difficulty recalling what was said/seen, are uncomfortable in classrooms and in situations where there is little hands-on experience.

Source: http://sunburst.usd.edu/~bwjames/tut/learning-style/styleres.html

Also see this chart to help understand, identify auditory, visual, and kinesthetic learning styles.

What is your style of of learning? Take the learning inventory here. Note: Some people can have a combination of one or more learning methods.

To me the issue comes into play when a majority of the formal education (or even sermons really) is conducted or geared with primarily visual (or at times audio) learners in mind. We forget that not everyone learns the same. IMO One of the down falls of standardized eduction.

Some examples...

Pat: Audio or Kinesthetic learner?

I do fiddle with mine. For 2 reasons. first, I have my bible on my smart phone. Second, it actually helps me keep focused on the service-believe it or not, im a bit fidgety, I need something to do with my hands, or my mind wanders. me and my brother both have this issue-he solves it by drawing, I dont have any artistic talents so I fiddle with my phone. In both cases-me and my brother, we can often tell you not only what the service was about, but remember more then the vast majority of everyone else there.

Shorry: Audio Learner?

I have the need to do things with my hands or have something going on in the background so i can listen. I would crochet but people don't like that in church. I could doodle but once again people assume that means I am not listening. My pastor knows I need to be sort of pre occupied with something in order to listen,

LadyKay: Audio or Kinesthetic learner?

A few times I have found myself fiddling with my phone in church. Once I even text somebody, told them I was in church. LOL I have A.D.D it happens!

GE: Visual learner?

Personally, I find note taking on my phone a lot easier than a piece of paper I will loose.

I use BibleGateway app and Bible.is primarily. I like the search features.

It's also great to pull up or look up a worship song on my phone to listen to later at home.

Note: None of this is meant to be offensive. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. :)

God bless,

GE

Lol!!Good observation GE :mgcheerful: Now me.You can label me with ADD.My kids think I have it because I can't sit still.