• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

That is quite true. With increased education, belief wanes.

Right, so here is a question- why?
There may be a few reasons. One of which I'll avoid so I won't sound sacrilegious. It seams that we must have faith as a little child. This may come as difficult to someone who is educated to look for the mechanism and evidence. Faith does not require evidence so it runs contrary to scientific thinking. It is concerned with the things we cannot verify other than personal religious experience, which is very subjective.

Aquinas said there are two threats to faith: one being the problem of evil, the other being natural science being able to explain things without reference to God.

With increased education, belief wanes.

Right, so here is a question - why?

~

The Proud

Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said,

Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.

Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?

Hast thou an arm like God? or canst thou thunder with a voice like him?

Deck thyself now with majesty and excellency; and array thyself with glory and beauty.

Cast abroad the rage of thy wrath: and behold every one that is proud, and abase him.

Look on every one that is proud, and bring him low; and tread down the wicked in their place.

Hide them in the dust together; and bind their faces in secret.

Then will I also confess unto thee that thine own right hand can save thee. Job 40:6-14

And Their King

But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,

lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. 2 Corinthians 4:3-5

~

Hay~! Want To Break Out?

If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. John 8:36

Open Up

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock:

if any man hear my voice, and open the door,

I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. Revelation 3:20

And Be Blessed Beloved

Love, Joe

Isa_52:10  The LORD hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.

Jer 17:5-7  Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD.  (6)  For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited.  (7)  Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.

1Co 1:25-29  Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.  (26)  For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:  (27)  But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;  (28)  And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:  (29)  That no flesh should glory in his presence.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

No not right, wrong, very wrong, and a generalization.

I know many highly educated people who love Jesus, run churches, evangelize and live in His Word.

Two I know very well are Oxford graduates (husband and wife) in science and philosophy,  who sold everything they had to build a thriving church. My wife is highly educated, and she Loves Jesus. My sister in law, my brother in law, MBA Harvard and a string of other letters behind his name.

I could go on.

So wrong.

We were talking about education in the sciences. Many do believe in a "higher power", but that does not translate to belief in a personal God. http://www.pewforum.org/2009/11/05/scientists-and-belief/

Edited by gray wolf

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

No not right, wrong, very wrong, and a generalization.

I know many highly educated people who love Jesus, run churches, evangelize and live in His Word.

Two I know very well are Oxford graduates (husband and wife) in science and philosophy,  who sold everything they had to build a thriving church. My wife is highly educated, and she Loves Jesus. My sister in law, my brother in law, MBA Harvard and a string of other letters behind his name.

I could go on.

So wrong.

Check this out: http://www.pewforum.org/2009/11/05/scientists-and-belief/

No I am not wrong. This is just a fact about the world. I am specifically talking here about the percentage of scientists who are believers.

Ah, I see gray also re-posted the link, thanks.

Can you provide a reference for any studies showing a relationship between religiosity and intelligence? I have yet to see such a one. The more intelligent person may want to make a religious commitment or choice of religion based upon reason and evidence and winds up not doing so because they cannot reason it out, They often discount faith, thinking that it is wishful belief in something improbable or impossible to prove.. And some religions are indeed based on irrationality, so it is a tough call.

Edited by gray wolf

Interesting article. Had to reread it in certain parts because it was pretty cerebral. It brings up the culture or society of unbelief encountered in the ionosphere if intellectual pursuit. Faith I think is very egalitarian. It is fully grasped by individuals all along the intellectual spectrum. It is simple enough for a child, yet challenges those at the higher end of mental acuity. It is a pity that the many in the scientific community believe or disbelieve as they do.

Guest shiloh357

I think one area where there is a very clear correlation is that the more intelligent a person is, the less likely they are to be religious.  The reason for this is the subject of a great deal of speculation.   

That is a spurious correlation at the very least, easily disproven historically.  There is a correlation between those with certain types of education who lean more toward atheism.  But to say that those who embrace Christianity, for example, tend to be less intelligent is really not based on anything that approaches reality.

Read the article in the above post for clarification. There are a great many great intellects in Christinity.