IGNORED

Does Scripture Support a Geocentric World View?

thomas t

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

Dear fellows,

in the other thread, there was someone claiming that Bible says the earth was the centre...

The Bible really doesn't take a position on this topic [the geocentric model, added by Thomas T ] as far as I can tell.    

I’m not sure what Bible are you reading exactly, but my Bible says this, for example:

“And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, and to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.”

So, the only reason for the stars is “to give light upon the earth” and to be “for signs, and for seasons”.

If that’s not a geocentric universe I don’t know what is.

See also Joshua’s day, when the Sun (not the Earth) stopped. [...]

I think the passage quoted does in no way support geocentrism. While it's true that God made lights and they sould be for signs and for seasons, they can also be for signs and seasons in a heliocentric (planetary) system. Also we have days and years in a heliocentric system, I think.

What does the Bible say in Josua concerning this question?

Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.

And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. Josua 10:12-13, KJV

I chose the KJV. In NIV whe read (verse 13a)..
So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped.
.. (and 13 c)..
The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day.

In my opinion, KJV wins, because it's closer to the original text in my opinion.
The sun standing still does not preclude heliocentrism, in my opinion, so I don't see any biblical support for the geocentric world view, sorry.

Thomas

Disclaimer: I'm not going to google things that I'm told to google. I would like to have sources.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Does Scripture Support a Geocentric World View?   

No, the Scripture does not SUPPORT a geocentric universe (not worldview, but universe). Instead, it exclusively TELLS it…

While it's true that God made lights and they sould be for signs and for seasons, they can also be for signs and seasons in a heliocentric (planetary) system.    

Tell me this: who lives on the Sun? And how exactly can there be seasons on the Sun? Looking forward.

In my opinion, KJV wins, because it's closer to the original text in my opinion.   

I completely agree with you on this.

The sun standing still does not preclude heliocentrism, in my opinion,  

Really? How is that?

so I don't see any biblical support for the geocentric world view   

You’re really trying hard to not see.

Disclaimer: I'm not going to google things that I'm told to google. I would like to have sources.   

If you think I keep a list of thousands of links (moreover, with a short explanation for each, in order to find one quickly), you couldn’t be more wrong. Buddy, I have read thousands of pages of cosmology (mainly formal, but many others as well), so if you’re asking me to promptly give a link on a particular topic, you’re simply claiming that my time is less precious than yours. And I wonder why is that. (Because I will have to find the link once again.)

Moreover, one simply waiting to be fed things is not scientific at all. Science is a continuous search. So you simply claiming that all you were taught in your schools is true (instead of personally verifying each and every of mainstream’s claims, as I have done) doesn’t make you scientific at all. Instead it only makes a blind believer. And what is it exactly that you blindly believe in? Well, other people JUST LIKE YOU…

If it’s one thing that we can say for sure in regard to people is that people, sooner or later (rather sooner), make mistakes. Moreover, major mistakes. But that’s not what this is all about. This is about those people who WILLINGLY make mistakes. Like those who have started to build an entire universe (actually more than one) that has nothing to do with the real universe. And by the way, the Bible also speaks about these people who WILLINGLY ignore reality and start building a universe of their imagination (willingly ignorant, or as Hovind puts it: dumb on purpose!).

I think I’ll present my evidence for a geocentric universe today, because I’m tired of the endless completely empty claims from the evolutionists (especially since it’s obvious they don’t even know THEIR own universe!). And I will call my thread “the real universe” – in opposition to the universe taught in schools (the big bang universe) which is nothing but imagination.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

Both these four insinuations about me behaving

(1) You’re really trying hard to not see.

(2) you simply claiming that all you were taught in your schools is true [...]

(3) And what is it exactly that you blindly believe in? Well, other people JUST LIKE YOU…

(4) This is about those people who WILLINGLY make mistakes. Like those who have started to build an entire universe (actually more than one) that has nothing to do with the real universe.

.... and these three direct offenses (I added numbers):

(1) Instead it only makes a blind believer.

(2) willingly ignorant, or as Hovind puts it: (3) dumb on purpose!.

are wrong and against the ToS.
I think, this should stop,

Thomas T

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

these four insinuations about me behaving   (1) You’re really trying hard to not see.   

I stand behind that. And I gave in my thread (‘the real universe’) Biblical evidence. So if you claim you already read the Bible, how exactly did you skip those verses (and many more)?

(2) you simply claiming that all you were taught in your schools is true [...]    

Read the entire paragraph. Here it is, again:

“Moreover, one simply waiting to be fed things is not scientific at all. Science is a continuous search. So you simply claiming that all you were taught in your schools is true (instead of personally verifying each and every of mainstream’s claims, as I have done) doesn’t make you scientific at all. Instead it only makes a blind believer. And what is it exactly that you blindly believe in? Well, other people JUST LIKE YOU…”

(3) And what is it exactly that you blindly believe in? Well, other people JUST LIKE YOU…     

See above. Perhaps I should have been more clear and put it like this: “so if you claim that all you were taught…”

(4) This is about those people who WILLINGLY make mistakes. Like those who have started to build an entire universe (actually more than one) that has nothing to do with the real universe.    

This time it’s clear that this has nothing to do with you, I don’t know how you could possibly think otherwise.

.... and these three direct offenses (I added numbers):

(1) Instead it only makes a blind believer.  

Already addressed further above.

2) willingly ignorant, or as Hovind puts it: (3) dumb on purpose!.     

Again, just like no. 4 above, it’s clear that this too has nothing to do with you. Instead, it’s about those people, like Hubble, who built an entire universe from their imagination.

Bottom line: if you think I offended you I deeply apologize, although for me it remains unclear where and how exactly did I do that…

Edited by neil_

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  44

Another Geocentric thread. Please no more. This subject was already closed at least twice.

This thread:

This thread:

From the Terms of Service...

If you have a problem with any of the Moderators or Chat admin, please keep it private. The moderation team serves this ministry on a voluntary basis. They are human beings and make mistakes. If you disagree with one of their decisions, make use of the PM system or email or the Repost Post button to get satisfaction. (Matt. 18:15)

This is a privately funded message board, we reserve the right to edit or remove any postings that we feel are detrimental to the fellowship on this board, or detrimental to the witness of the board, as we see fit. It is not possible to read every post. If you see a board violation, please report it using the “Report Post” button.