IGNORED

Unbelievable percentage of people addicted to smartphones....

MorningGlory

Don't you just love it when you step up to a counter to order something and the person is talking on their cell phone?....HELLO :unsure:

I tend to get louder and more annoying the longer someone tries to ignore me. <evil grin> I usually mention that to the person who's trying to ignore me so they can talk or text, but I do try not to be a jerk about it. Sometimes there's no option, though. I really don't enjoy going there, but it seems thats what it takes more often these days. I try polite and professional first, then things can go downhill from there . . . :laugh:

Many companies in my area have started "no cell phones at work" policies because of this. You have to leave them in your locker except on breaks or lunch at many of them. Its the same where I work now, although it wasn't at the last place I worked. I had similar issues with folks not even looking at me, etc. so I'd get their attention -- gently at first, and escalate from there. People need a reminder of what's rude sometimes.

Yes, i agree.  I mentioned before that I have a trainee right now and I have told her certain procedual things a dozen times.  She doesn't remember them because she never HEARD them to begin with, having her face permanently glued to her phone.   I'm about to wash my hands of her; there's no point.

I won't tolerate that in a work situation. I usually ask them to put the phone down, and if they won't, then the boss gets involved. That one wouldn't listen, and so got themselves fired. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned. If they don't care enough to learn the job then I don't have a whole lot of time to waste on them. The "no cell phones" policy wasn't popular, but it has removed the distractions and that's fine by me. No one needs to be so "connected" that they can't put down the blasted phone and drive, or pay attention in training.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

bth_cell-phone.jpgHey,here is a cell phone for Pat. :grin:

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

bth_Phones.jpgI am sorry but I find this funny.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

I'm not sure that saying a certain subset of people look stupid, especially when some of those people might end up reading what we write, especially when said people may be brothers or sisters in Christ, is really going to produce a result that we, if we really think about it, want to sow into those brothers or sisters' lives.

I'm not sure that saying a certain subset of people look stupid, especially when some of those people might end up reading what we write, especially when said people may be brothers or sisters in Christ, is really going to produce a result that we, if we really think about it, want to sow into those brothers or sisters' lives.

Perhaps not . . . but the 2 folks I've seen this evening walk into fixed objects because they were to too busy texting to watch where they were going was hillarious. One walked into a pole, the other into a tree. Nice having windows in your office when life gives you a free comedy act.

That said, I think its more about balance in our lives than anything else. Some may need a gentle reminder now and again. My friends know I don't appreciate being ignored in favor of a text, so they tend to leave the phone alone when we're talking. I don't get overly rude or be a jerk about it, but some go too far. I'm sorry, but no one needs to be so connected that they can't pay attention to you long enough to participate in a conversation, training at work, paying attention to customers, and the like. If a person can't do that, then there is a problem that needs to be looked at in a serious way.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

First off...Hey MG!!

I had to release a friend of mine from my life because of her texting. I allowed her because she was a private sitter and couldn't talk on phones, because it would disturb the patient.  If the conversation was upbeat...things worked out fine. But on a serious note...I began to see a pattern of misunderstanding starting to appear. I pointed out...__________, you can't hear my voice or see my expression...stop taking my reply as an attack. I am so blessed to have the fruit of the spirit...of loooooooooong suffering operating in my life..because each time I pointed it out...she would reread text and contract me expressing sorrow. Finally (after many times) I shared...if she continued to do it...I would be forced to end the friendship...because it was taking on another pattern...textual and emotional abuse...finally I had too.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

Honesty wins out; if you walk around 24/7 with your face stuck to a phone.....you look stupid.  It has nothing to do with believer or non and, if they hear they look stupid, it's not going to destroy their lives. It might even get their attention.  Let's be real here.

First off...Hey MG!!

I had to release a friend of mine from my life because of her texting. I allowed her because she was a private sitter and couldn't talk on phones, because it would disturb the patient.  If the conversation was upbeat...things worked out fine. But on a serious note...I began to see a pattern of misunderstanding starting to appear. I pointed out...__________, you can't hear my voice or see my expression...stop taking my reply as an attack. I am so blessed to have the fruit of the spirit...of loooooooooong suffering operating in my life..because each time I pointed it out...she would reread text and contract me expressing sorrow. Finally (after many times) I shared...if she continued to do it...I would be forced to end the friendship...because it was taking on another pattern...textual and emotional abuse...finally I had too.

That's a scenario I hadn't thought of but, when I do, I can see where the problem could arise. 

Perhaps not . . . but the 2 folks I've seen this evening walk into fixed objects because they were to too busy texting to watch where they were going was hillarious. One walked into a pole, the other into a tree. Nice having windows in your office when life gives you a free comedy act.

That said, I think its more about balance in our lives than anything else. Some may need a gentle reminder now and again. My friends know I don't appreciate being ignored in favor of a text, so they tend to leave the phone alone when we're talking. I don't get overly rude or be a jerk about it, but some go too far. I'm sorry, but no one needs to be so connected that they can't pay attention to you long enough to participate in a conversation, training at work, paying attention to customers, and the like. If a person can't do that, then there is a problem that needs to be looked at in a serious way.

Yes, exactly.  I watched my trainee carry her phone (which is broken, btw) to the scanner and proceed to text and surf while she scanned my documents.   She never looked at the papers once (I stood right there and watched her).  They displayed crooked and some upside down when I opened them..  She's done; her stupidity has caused a recommendation that she be terminated.  You just can't reach some people.

Yes, exactly.  I watched my trainee carry her phone (which is broken, btw) to the scanner and proceed to text and surf while she scanned my documents.   She never looked at the papers once (I stood right there and watched her).  They displayed crooked and some upside down when I opened them..  She's done; her stupidity has caused a recommendation that she be terminated.  You just can't reach some people.

Then she has created her own unemployment problem, and maybe this is what she needs to finally get the message about her problem. Maybe this will be her wake up call, difficult as it might be.

One thing that occurs to me about this situation (not this individual specifically, though) is there seems to be an addictive process at work in it. Someone starts using, drinking, (fill in the blank with your favorite addiction) and it goes from being fun to not being able to stop to ruining a person's life. The same thing I saw about my drug problem once Jesus had me sober long enough to think straight. Its a similar process, and its amazing what we humans can get strung out on.