• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

What the NT says about the OT.

Luke 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Romans 16:26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

Gal 3:8

And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

2 Tim 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That is not all of the NT scripture about the OT. Jesus and the Apostles heavily quoted from the OT.

Clearly, the OT laid the foundation of the state of mankind, the need for a savior, how to identify the Messiah, and what the Messiah would do. The OT is good for doctrine, correction, and instruction. With all of the information in the OT, the first thousands of people came to Jesus because of the OT, and the testimony of the disciples. But even before that time, we know that people like Abraham, Moses, David, all were saved based on their faith, before the NT was written.  

Interesting information from a site:

http://www.crossway.org/blog/2006/03/nt-citations-of-ot/

New Testament Citations of Old Testament Books Matrix

The below table shows how many times each New Testament book cites each Old Testament book. Books that aren’t listed don’t have any citations.

Book Matt Mark Luke John Acts Rom 1 Cor 2 Cor Gal Eph 1 Tim Heb Jas 1 Pet Total Gen 1 3     3 7 2   3 1   3 1   24 Ex 7 4 3 1 4 4 1 1   1   3 2   31 Lev 3 1 2     1   1 2       1 1 12 Num       1                     1 Deut 8 2 5   4 6 1   2   1 3     32 Josh                       1     1 1 Sam         1                   1 2 Sam           1           1     2 1 Kgs           3                 3 Neh       1                     1 Job             1               1 Ps 7 3 5 6 8 14 3 2   1   18   2 69 Prov           3           1 1   5 Isa 8 3 5 4 5 13 5 2 1     1   4 51 Jer 1                     3     4 Hos 3         2                 5 Joel         1 1                 2 Amos         2                   2 Mic 1                           1 Hab         1 1     1     1     4 Hag                       1     1 Zech 3 1   2                     6 Mal 1 1 1     1                 4 Total 43 18 21 15 29 57 13 6 9 3 1 36 5 7 263

What I find particularly interesting are the NT books with the most OT quotes.

Matthew is said to be written for Jewish people in particular.  Hebrews is also written to Jewish believers. And Romans has a unique history as it was written alternately to the Jewish believers and Gentile believers to help resolve a conflict between the two groups.  These three books have the most OT quotes. Acts of course gives the early history of the church when it was almost entirely Jewish believers  noting the transition and inclusion of Gentiles.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Don't forget also, that there are unfulfilled prophecies in the OT. Without Daniel, Ezekiel etc. we would have a much poorer understanding of where the World is heading and what God has intended for us.

Don't forget also, that there are unfulfilled prophecies in the OT. Without Daniel, Ezekiel etc. we would have a much poorer understanding of where the World is heading and what God has intended for us.

You are correct.

I wonder if those who view God being done with Israel, also view the OT as no longer really important?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  428
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  3

You are correct.

I wonder if those who view God being done with Israel, also view the OT as no longer really important?

Well God is certainly not done with Israel.

But the New Testament is where salvation is found.

As Paul wrote:

Romans 1:16

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Romans 11:26-27

26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

just the question:

is NT more important than OT?

only in that it actually brings in the new covenant.  the old testament can not bring you salvation, however the new testament by itself really needs the background of the old to fully understand.     if you have to choose only one then the new testament is very much more important.  However people are  less likely to believe without the background of the old.

LoL  I hope that makes sense.

I agree Silvia, I think every christian should read the OT and live by the NT. sadly most christians Ive met have not read the NT let alone the OT.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  1

i think the OT is focus on law,and this Jewish article giving some sense of that

http://www.aish.com/jl/b/bb/Overview_of_the_Entire_Torah.html

recent days i always visit this website,and what i see is :law,law,and law....

i think the OT is focus on law,and this Jewish article giving some sense of that

http://www.aish.com/jl/b/bb/Overview_of_the_Entire_Torah.html

recent days i always visit this website,and what i see is :law,law,and law....

The view in Judaism would be that the Tenakh/OT is focused on the law, as it is viewed as the obligation of every Jewish person so the law would be first.

Step back and look at the OT from a NT perspective, the OT is focused on the promise of the coming Messiah, and preparing the people for Him. The first Messianic prophesy is in Genesis 3:15, and that theme continues throughout.  

just the question:

No.

If OT does contain the testament, NT does not. NT highlights the period. It is a collection of literature.

The new testament itself has never been written down, and, in fact, as I think, cannot be be written down. It can only be written in heart. Which is what Jesus did.

Which bible translation do you use? 

Guest AFlameOfFire

just the question:

only in that it actually brings in the new covenant.  the old testament can not bring you salvation, however the new testament by itself really needs the background of the old to fully understand.     if you have to choose only one then the new testament is very much more important.  However people are  less likely to believe without the background of the old.

I agree Silvia, I think every christian should read the OT and live by the NT. sadly most christians Ive met have not read the NT let alone the OT.

just the question:

I agree that its sad, because when Jesus said to go and preach the gospel, we see Phillip go to a eunuch who was reading out of the book of Isaiah (In the OT) but the eunch didn't know "who exactly" this prophet was speaking of (whether he was speaking of himself) or of some other man. And Isaiah was speaking of Jesus Christ (even as David was not speaking of himself either) but of Jesus Christ (as shown in another place in Acts). And so what was kept secret (and/or left to be seen) was that found in Jesus Christ who was manifested (for us). The testimony of Gods Son.  And so we have an example which shows Phillip preaching Jesus Christ out of the book of Isaiah. Upon whom the eunuchs faith in Christ is established, and this through the use of the former prophets by the apostles (Christ being Chief stone of them). And so we see the faith (In Jesus Christ) coming by the hearing of the same (The word of God). Just as Jesus said, Moses wrote of me. And if ye believe not his words how then will ye believe mine? Because Jesus said, "they are they which testify of me". And yet of Christ (whom they do testify of) says, I will open my mouth in a parable and utter dark sayings of old. That means what he is uttering (in a parable) pertains to that which is of old. Its found there (even as the testimony of Him is found there). They are what Jesus used to expound to his apostles the very things concerning himself he was to fulfill. That's also where Paul in Acts 28:3 is shown persuading others of Jesus Christ.

But that's rare to find these days. And yet that's how faith in Jesus Christ did come. It come by the preaching of him (even his sufferings) as witnessed by the law and prophets who did testify of these (concerning him) and likewise his resurrection (even as David did so) seeing the same beforehand (being a prophet himself). And not many know what to do with them or preach Jesus Christ so much out from them in seeking to prove and persuade others of Him out of them.

Even when we say law, some go right to Moses (after Abraham). When Paul asks, ye who desire to be under the law do ye not HEAR the law?

Where did he start?

It is written ABRAHAM  and then goes onto to expound allegorically (concerning the law) as shown in Abraham having two sons by two women and what these represent (the two covenants) which shows in the very law itself one is to be casted out (in respects to a covenant) and even by the other, and long before we even see Moses entering into the picture (as we might understand it). Which is also where we can see a righteousness of God without the law (in a picture) such as this being witnessed by the law and the prophets themselves in this manner.

So I agree with you