• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Just so we keep in mind what are are actually talking about here in terms of adulating Amish dress as ideal. I got this from http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/pennsylvania/a/amish_2.htm

"The Amish dress in a very simple style, avoiding all but the most basic ornamentation. Clothing is made at home of plain fabrics and is primarily dark in color. Amish men in general wear straight-cut suits and coats without collars, lapels or pockets. Trousers never have creases or cuffs and are worn with suspenders. Belts are forbidden, as are sweaters, neckties and gloves. Men's shirts fasten with traditional buttons in most orders, while suit coats and vests fasten with hooks and eyes. Young men are clean shaven prior to marriage, while married men are required to let their beards grow. Mustaches are forbidden. Amish women typically wear solid-color dresses with long sleeves and a full skirt, covered with a cape and an apron. They never cut their hair, and wear it in a braid or bun on the back of the head concealed with a small white cap or black bonnet. Clothing is fastened with straight pins or snaps, stockings are black cotton and shoes are also black. Amish women are not permitted to wear patterned clothing or jewelry. The Ordnung of the specific Amish order may dictate matters of dress as explicit as the length of a skirt or the width of a seam."

This is a dress code, a requirement for living in some of these communities. Are people really doing this out of their hearts to please God? To not wear patterned cloth, to avoid zippers or belts? Keep in mind also that the Amish associate obeying the rules of their churches with salvation. I do not think this is right.

Nor do I. It's living under the law, and even worse in a lot of cases mans law.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

What are your thoughts on this video?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

Yeah well according to some women shouldn't even be revealing their feet or hands or eyes. Hey, a bared food might cause a man to lust! According to those people all the women here are dressing like 'harlots' (which is also why I wish people would stop throwing around that term). Having some community have especially strict dress codes does not seem God honoring to me.

A bared food?No,we do not live in Iran.No one is insenuating here that everyone has to be wrapped in a bag.You are over reacting.Everyone knows what modest appropriate attire is.If you are dressed like a harlot then except the fact that you look like one.If it does not seem God honoring to you to dress in a manner that is pleasing to God maybe you had better check your heart.

No, not everyone agrees! That's just the point. You seem to think it's obvious that women would be better off wearing large shapeless dresses with old-timey aprons. Others would think that those same women in the large shapeless dresses are dressing like harlots by showing their face, hands, and feet. I see absolutely no problem with shorts and t shirts. Women in other places in the world go topless, everyone thinks that is fine, but think that exposing any leg is dressing like a harlot. No, not "everyone knows what modest appropriate attire is". That has been shown to be factually mistaken in the highest degree.

I do not see a problem with shorts and a t-shirt.But does the shorts show half of the buttocks?Does the t-shirt show half of the breasts?Dressing modest is common sense.If an adult who has not been brought up in the jungles of remote tribes does not know what appropriate apparel is then they might be deceiving themselves.Alot of people in this world want to make excuses to do what they want to do.To conform to this world.And that includes Christians unfortunately.Why have one foot in heaven and one foot on Earth?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Yeah well according to some women shouldn't even be revealing their feet or hands or eyes. Hey, a bared food might cause a man to lust! According to those people all the women here are dressing like 'harlots' (which is also why I wish people would stop throwing around that term). Having some community have especially strict dress codes does not seem God honoring to me.

A bared food?No,we do not live in Iran.No one is insenuating here that everyone has to be wrapped in a bag.You are over reacting.Everyone knows what modest appropriate attire is.If you are dressed like a harlot then except the fact that you look like one.If it does not seem God honoring to you to dress in a manner that is pleasing to God maybe you had better check your heart.

No, not everyone agrees! That's just the point. You seem to think it's obvious that women would be better off wearing large shapeless dresses with old-timey aprons. Others would think that those same women in the large shapeless dresses are dressing like harlots by showing their face, hands, and feet. I see absolutely no problem with shorts and t shirts. Women in other places in the world go topless, everyone thinks that is fine, but think that exposing any leg is dressing like a harlot. No, not "everyone knows what modest appropriate attire is". That has been shown to be factually mistaken in the highest degree.

I do not see a problem with shorts and a t-shirt.But does the shorts show half of the buttocks?Does the t-shirt show half of the breasts?Dressing modest is common sense.If an adult who has not been brought up in the jungles of remote tribes does not know what appropriate apparel is then they might be deceiving themselves.Alot of people in this world want to make excuses to do what they want to do.To conform to this world.And that includes Christians unfortunately.Why have one foot in heaven and one foot on Earth?

To be honest bopeep I do not think you are addressing the argument I am making.

Just so we keep in mind what are are actually talking about here in terms of adulating Amish dress as ideal. I got this from http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/pennsylvania/a/amish_2.htm

"The Amish dress in a very simple style, avoiding all but the most basic ornamentation. Clothing is made at home of plain fabrics and is primarily dark in color. Amish men in general wear straight-cut suits and coats without collars, lapels or pockets. Trousers never have creases or cuffs and are worn with suspenders. Belts are forbidden, as are sweaters, neckties and gloves. Men's shirts fasten with traditional buttons in most orders, while suit coats and vests fasten with hooks and eyes. Young men are clean shaven prior to marriage, while married men are required to let their beards grow. Mustaches are forbidden. Amish women typically wear solid-color dresses with long sleeves and a full skirt, covered with a cape and an apron. They never cut their hair, and wear it in a braid or bun on the back of the head concealed with a small white cap or black bonnet. Clothing is fastened with straight pins or snaps, stockings are black cotton and shoes are also black. Amish women are not permitted to wear patterned clothing or jewelry. The Ordnung of the specific Amish order may dictate matters of dress as explicit as the length of a skirt or the width of a seam."

This is a dress code, a requirement for living in some of these communities. Are people really doing this out of their hearts to please God? To not wear patterned cloth, to avoid zippers or belts? Keep in mind also that the Amish associate obeying the rules of their churches with salvation. I do not think this is right.

I already said in a previous thread that I think the Amish are too legalistic.Please see post #22.That has nothing to do with covering up their bodies.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

I already said in a previous thread that I think the Amish are too legalistic.Please see post #22.That has nothing to do with covering up their bodies.

Right, you are still missing my point. I have tried to make it several times in this thread and in other threads, and it's clear I'm  not saying it in a manner that is coming across to you. It's no big deal, but it does seem like we will likely just go around in the same circle.

Right, you are still missing my point. I have tried to make it several times in this thread and in other threads, and it's clear I'm  not saying it in a manner that is coming across to you. It's no big deal, but it does seem like we will likely just go around in the same circle.

No, we will not continue to go around in the same circle.I am done debating on this thread.You have your beliefs and I have mine.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

All this talk about what is modesty and what is not makes me think that Christians try to make being a Christian much too difficult. :yadda:

• Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Ms. LadyKay...I am asking your permission to print out the underlined and hang it on my wall...Oh my...This is how I feel like Jesus feels like sometimes...Wow!!! That is so good...

Why do things hit our hearts so profoundly...It's just God!!! Whew...

All this talk about what is modesty and what is not makes me think that Christians try to make being a Christian much too difficult. :yadda:

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92

Ms. LadyKay...I am asking your permission to print out the underlined and hang it on my wall...Oh my...This is how I feel like Jesus feels like sometimes...Wow!!! That is so good...

Why do things hit our hearts so profoundly...It's just God!!! Whew...

Sure you can print it out if you like. I tend to write from experience. I remember a time when I thought being a Christian was too hard. This came about because the pastor of a church I was attending told us that we need to be doing this and that if we are Christians. He wanted us to go around and knock on people's doors and tell them about Christ.This is all well and good but from my experience I found it to be unaffected and more likely to put people off. So I would not go knocking on doors. He said that if we were not knocking on doors telling people about Christ, then maybe we are not real Christians. . Because of this is struggled with the thought that maybe the pastor was right and I am not a Christian because I do not want to go knocking on doors. I begin to think that if I have to do all this stuff that other people tell me I need to do in order to be a Christian it is just too hard.  It took some growing on my part but I realized that being a Christian is not about doing what other people think you should be doing. It is about following what God puts on your heart to do.