WIP

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

This OP is pretty loaded. Who is going to think that they don't take reasonable correction? Everyone thinks that, and everyone thinks that everyone else is unreasonable. That is a foregone conclusion.

Not everyone.

Do you think that you don't take reasonable correction? just saying... I'd hope everyone at least thinks they try to be open to reasonable correction. The problem is that we tend to think that those who persist in disagreeing with us are being *unreasonable*.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I can see how fingers could possibly be pointing wildly in all directions.

Think I will just LOL! and move one.  If we could only see ourselves...........

Jesus words about the log in our own eye usually applies.

I will note this however.  There are occasions where a person has an incorrect interpretation on another's character and accuses them of things that are not intended.

Everyone take a breath.... :th_praying:   ...I think the best seats in the house are already taken anyway  

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Good timing for the topic, thanks.  Last night I thought about creating a new topic in the Problems section, but will just add to this.

I've been admonished by my boss/housemate for years, sometimes with threats & insults/curses.

Last night I was admonished, and apologized a number of times & admitted I was wrong & tried to answer the questions he asked me.  When he's upset with me, it is difficult to speak to him because he says I'm speaking foolishly, and doesn't want to talk to me. 

I choose my words very carefully and strive not to allow emotion into my factual responses.  I sometimes ask to pray, but he often says I'm misdirecting.

As the years have gone by with this, I get the shakes and have stomach pain after being admonished (despite trying to stay calm & rooted in Christ) and bad sleep the night of admonishment.

I sometimes wish the Lord would return soon or that my time on Earth would end so that I might not be a problem for him any more.  I've gone through Biblical counseling over this subject a year or two ago. 

Anyway, praise be to God!  Peace to His people on earth.  Hope you all deal w/admonishment well!

Jeff I'm really sorry you find yourself having to put up with all you are experiencing at present, The Lord will bless you for having accepted these insults etc in such a spirit of humility...you may never get to see it but taking this issue as a Christian ought to will speak volumes to your unsaved boss as to your stand as a Christian..... You seem to be have a anxiety disorder having the shakes and stomach pains as you do... have you spoken with your GP about this? I will hold you up in prayer my bro :bighug:

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

This OP is pretty loaded. Who is going to think that they don't take reasonable correction? Everyone thinks that, and everyone thinks that everyone else is unreasonable. That is a foregone conclusion.

Not everyone.

Do you think that you don't take reasonable correction? just saying... I'd hope everyone at least thinks they try to be open to reasonable correction. The problem is that we tend to think that those who persist in disagreeing with us are being *unreasonable*.

Yes, I can be stubborn about certain things.  That's something I continually try to correct, but I know that I actually have to work on it, and I can admit that.  I can now choose to be be proud that I can admit that and laud it over others but then that would be judgemental, and cause hurt, and then I would have to be admonished, or at least care enough about he/she whom I have hurt to at least apologise and acknowledge that I have caused some damage, knowingly or not.  But if I'm stubborn about that and refuse to acknowledge my imperfections (I'm imperfect? Really?????) then I become all the more insensitive and proud and OH MY what a vicious circle!  It becomes all self-justification, when the Word of God tells us that it is Jesus' blood which justifies and sanctifies us...

My point is that it's just so much better to be honest with everyone AND with ourselves AND with God instead of constantly shifting the blame.  It actually makes us look suspicious - like, what are you trying to hide anyway?  And if we don't learn, how are we to grow?

I need admonishment: I care too much...

I will note this however.  There are occasions where a person has an incorrect interpretation on another's character and accuses them of things that are not intended.

Everyone take a breath.... :th_praying:   ...I think the best seats in the house are already taken anyway  

Admonishing as I have said is vastly different to judging and finger pointing...it is however trying to help your bro / sis in love...love does'nt point fingers. Look if you were to see someone about to cross a busy street whom you know has eyesight problems would you not try to warn them...or would you say nothing and watch them walk into the traffic?  What do you think the scripture I quoted is talking about?

We often wield a sword to cut others down that is not ours to wield.

It's the Sword of the Word we should be using not the sword of the world.

But we are who we are, and the person we should admonish the most is probably our self.

Do this and you can probably admonish others, and accept admonishment with truth.

And truth rests in grace.

Admonishing is not "wielding a sword" to anyone, We are all in this race together, if you can see your bro/sis trip and fall, would'nt you stop and pick him up and put him on his feet again because you want to see him finish the race?  I want to spend eternity with The Lord one day ...I also want my brothers and sisters in Christ to make it as well..don't you? and if I can help them ..I will ..the Lord expects us to. It all comes down to loving your neighbour as yourself. I have been guilty of not taking admonishing in the right spirit at times and been the loser each time....we are'nt told to admonish one another for no good reason.

I think the clue lies in your last statement... "huge difference between admonishing and judging"

On this forum I see much more of the former and not much of the latter.

Unfortunately some Christians think everyone is just out to judge out them....which is really sad... when one could really grow spiritually through the admonishing. Its not always easy accepting the admonishment but that is another avenue The Lord has chosen for us to walk.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

Admonishing as I have said is vastly different to judging and finger pointing...it is however trying to help your bro / sis in love...love does'nt point fingers. Look if you were to see someone about to cross a busy street whom you know has eyesight problems would you not try to warn them...or would you say nothing and watch them walk into the traffic?  What do you think the scripture I quoted is talking about?

Unfortunately, many people who are insecure within themselves really can't tell the difference, and being the one to point the finger first is just a natural defence- mechanism: for them it's about being 'right' at all costs and winning the argument every time.  Many times the truth in love doesn't even get a look in, because: "hey!  who are you to judge me???" kinda thing...

Unfortunately, many people who are insecure within themselves really can't tell the difference, and being the one to point the finger first is just a natural defence- mechanism: for them it's about being 'right' at all costs and winning the argument every time.  Many times the truth in love doesn't even get a look in, because: "hey!  who are you to judge me???" kinda thing...

Zion while I know that this is so true..its really sad as they are missing out on what The Lord would have us learn ..winning at all costs can be a very very costly in the long run...costing more than they want to pay.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

I think the clue lies in your last statement... "huge difference between admonishing and judging"

On this forum I see much more of the former and not much of the latter.

Unfortunately some Christians think everyone is just out to judge out them....which is really sad... when one could really grow spiritually through the admonishing. Its not always easy accepting the admonishment but that is another avenue The Lord has chosen for us to walk.

how does one tell the difference?

how does the one doing the admonishing know if they are admonishing or judging?

I am a cynic that is for sure, but I have seen prayer request used as a means to gossipp, I have seen praise time used as a means to brag.

lately in my interactions with Christians I see a lot more judgment than I do admonishing.  

Please help me to differentiate between them